The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Enough of the personal comments and censoring. 
Im not interested in discussing what you find offensive.   

We don’t know Zad’s situation. 
There are tons of Russians in the league who said the same as OV then stayed quiet.  
There are also lots of Russians support Putin, but unless they come out and say it, it’s all an assumption.  

Sooey Steamer claimed there was current campaigning being done, then disappeared when asked about it. 
Without proof, it seems like a big claim. 
I don’t doubt it is true for a second, but I’m not about to shit talk the guy because of someone’s claim on a hockey board. Especially since we often see first hand how much shit is spewed and made up by emotional folks here 

Sweetheart, you ain’t offending me.. I’m letting you know for your longevity on this thread.. keep it respectful, or pound sand. Mmk?  

21 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

There are tons of Russians in the league who said the same as OV then stayed quiet.  
There are also lots of Russians support Putin, but unless they come out and say it, it’s all an assumption.  

Sooey Steamer claimed there was current campaigning being done, then disappeared when asked about it. 
I don’t doubt it is true for a second, but I’m not about to shit talk the guy because of someone’s claim on a hockey board. Especially since we often see first hand how much shit is spewed and made up by emotional folks here 

Okay, I am going to take credit for a spontaneous and poorly worded response to another poster's support for Ovechkin.  I did NOT say specifically that he was currently campaigning for Putin, this I do not know for sure.  You have made that assumption about my comment.  I do know that he did in the past election, I have seen videos of him promoting Putin, standing with him at an election event and I think he made some kind of ad for Putin. There have been a number of posts in previous forums with these images and information.

Personally, I found Ovechkin's "anti-war" statement to be very weak, about the least one could say in order to appease the fans.  I'm glad he said it, and I hope it's his true view but I'm not entirely convinced especially in light of RomanPer's insights (whose opinion I do trust).  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Sooey Steamer said:

Okay, I am going to take credit for a spontaneous and poorly worded response to another poster's support for Ovechkin.  I did NOT say specifically that he was currently campaigning for Putin, this I do not know for sure.  You have made that assumption about my comment.  I do know that he did in the past election, I have seen videos of him promoting Putin, standing with him at an election event and I think he made some kind of ad for Putin. There have been a number of posts in previous forums with these images and information.

Personally, I found Ovechkin's "anti-war" statement to be very weak, about the least one could say in order to appease the fans.  I'm glad he said it, and I hope it's his true view but I'm not entirely convinced especially in light of RomanPer's insights (whose opinion I do trust).  

Staying silent is one thing... actively campaigning for Putin's reelection is another!’

I said he was staying silent after saying his piece.
This is your response. 

Maybe you didn’t mean for it to come off as it did, but this is saying he is actively campaigning.   

Having said that, I do trust Roman’s insight.  He always seems very knowledgeable and connected, BUT

that doesn’t mean I’m just going to say ‘ok. Guy on hockey board says it so it’s true’.  

I was hoping there was actual evidence to back the claim.  

My guess is OV is a Putin loving cuntbag who should go the fuck home.  
But I don’t have anything to back it, so I have to side with what I have seen 

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Actually, we do know Zad's situation. There is a big interview with him on YouTube in Russian with English subtitles, where he touches on that as well as on that russian NHL players chat room I mentioned. A link to that interview was posted in the Zad's trade thread. I suggest to find and watch it - it's very informative. He doesn't communicate with his parents for variety of reasons, politics being one of them. But his family still lives in russia and things such as family disagreements never stopped KGB in the past from retaliating against family members.

Edit: Here, found it:

Edited by RomanPer
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Staying silent is one thing... actively campaigning for Putin's reelection is another!’

I said he was staying silent after saying his piece.
This is your response. 

Maybe you didn’t mean for it to come off as it did, but this is saying he is actively campaigning.   

Having said that, I do trust Roman’s insight.  He always seems very knowledgeable and connected, BUT

that doesn’t mean I’m just going to say ‘ok. Guy on hockey board says it so it’s true’.  

I was hoping there was actual evidence to back the claim.  

My guess is OV is a Putin loving cuntbag who should go the fuck home.  
But I don’t have anything to back it, so I have to side with what I have seen 

If was to make an educated guess..I’d say that Ovi currently regrets the association with Putin.

Pretty much all the Russian stars have had some association with Putin. I’m sure none of them had any idea that he would invade Ukraine.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Actually, we do know Zad's situation. There is a big interview with him on YouTube in Russian with English subtitles, where he touches on that as well as on that russian NHL players chat room I mentioned. A link to that interview was posted in the Zad's trade thread. I suggest to find and watch it - it's very informative. He doesn't communicate with his parents for variety of reasons, politics being one of them. But his family still lives in russia and things such as family disagreements never stopped KGB in the past from retaliating against family members.

Edit: Here, found it:

I remember this interview. I believe Z or another russian player wanted get all the russian NHL players to make a statement against the war but a faction required the statement to contain some of Putins bullshit Re: the war being 14 years old (and yet not stating who started the 14 year old war)

1 hour ago, BarneyKook said:

I remember this interview. I believe Z or another russian player wanted get all the russian NHL players to make a statement against the war but a faction required the statement to contain some of Putins bullshit Re: the war being 14 years old (and yet not stating who started the 14 year old war)

And we can only guess who led that faction... Actually, I don't have to guess, but I don't have any proof that I can share in public.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

One thing I'm wondering is just how much the Republican party is compromised, considering both the democrats and republicans were hacked in 2016-2017, but only the democrats emails were released.  https://www.wired.com/2017/01/russia-hacked-older-republican-emails-fbi-director-says/

Though it hurts right now, the Republicans are basically by throwing away a campaign issue with the border deal over Ukraine and there's really nothing they can campaign on except disinformation. It seems like a short term win for Putin that could cost him his assets in Congress in November long term wise . (though it's still very possible a Trump presidency comes out of this).

But then again, maybe Russia has calculated all they need are these 6-7 months to make gains on the outgunned Ukrainians that in the event the Dems do take back the house and resume funding it's too little too late.

Edited by DSVII