The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Recon in strength or diversion? They won’t have much equipment or munitions.

Both. This will force Russian command and control to divert units and equipment to stem the incursion, while also providing valuable reconnoitre data: how strong is the resistance along those lanes, how fast did Russia respond and with what, how accepting or accommodating was the local populace. 

Some forward operating units, these ones in particular being made up of Russian nationals, are trained in foraging for goods and munitions. If, say, they capture a small depot or outpost of the Russian military in any of these small towns they encounter, they may 'liberate' tanks, trucks, artillery, possibly a chopper or two, it is really only limited by how fast and how far they go before Russia mounts a proper containment force. In the back of my head I think these people are likely to be removed from the board, the active Siberian Battalion and Freedom Of Russia Legion are doing good work for 'the good guys', but it appears it is isolated and behind enemy lines. Likely a feint therefore to strike fast and instill fear, disrupt troop movements, maybe capture some mobile pieces and destroy others, and hopefully exfiltrate more or less in one piece. I think though it maybe a one way trip. As long as Ukraine used the disruption to good advantage, vis a vis drone and other strikes inside Russia to remove big targets from the board, it could be seen as a good strategy once history takes a peek at it later.  

Kind of reminds me of the Risk Board Game strategy of massing a LOT of troops in Australia for a 'sally forth' through asia, europe, africa and south america, and with luck North America to ruin an opponents re-supply from continent holdings: i know it is not a game, but from that basic strategy game we learn that logistics is almost everything in war. Can they disrupt Russian Logistics enough to make a difference in the attritional rates of money, supplies and manpower? 

I am not seeing much about this outside of a very few social media bloggers/war reporters and so I think any gains will be shortlived. Hoping high value targets are destroyed, radars and airfields top the list. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Both. This will force Russian command and control to divert units and equipment to stem the incursion, while also providing valuable reconnoitre data: how strong is the resistance along those lanes, how fast did Russia respond and with what, how accepting or accommodating was the local populace. 

Some forward operating units, these ones in particular being made up of Russian nationals, are trained in foraging for goods and munitions. If, say, they capture a small depot or outpost of the Russian military in any of these small towns they encounter, they may 'liberate' tanks, trucks, artillery, possibly a chopper or two, it is really only limited by how fast and how far they go before Russia mounts a proper containment force. In the back of my head I think these people are likely to be removed from the board, the active Siberian Battalion and Freedom Of Russia Legion are doing good work for 'the good guys', but it appears it is isolated and behind enemy lines. Likely a feint therefore to strike fast and instill fear, disrupt troop movements, maybe capture some mobile pieces and destroy others, and hopefully exfiltrate more or less in one piece. I think though it maybe a one way trip. As long as Ukraine used the disruption to good advantage, vis a vis drone and other strikes inside Russia to remove big targets from the board, it could be seen as a good strategy once history takes a peek at it later.  

Kind of reminds me of the Risk Board Game strategy of massing a LOT of troops in Australia for a 'sally forth' through asia, europe, africa and south america, and with luck North America to ruin an opponents re-supply from continent holdings: i know it is not a game, but from that basic strategy game we learn that logistics is almost everything in war. Can they disrupt Russian Logistics enough to make a difference in the attritional rates of money, supplies and manpower? 

I am not seeing much about this outside of a very few social media bloggers/war reporters and so I think any gains will be shortlived. Hoping high value targets are destroyed, radars and airfields top the list. 

It does ma ke you wonder how well established partisan movements are inside Russia and Belarus? A year ago I thought there might be a revolt in Belarus but it didn’t happen. We now know there are British and American special forces inside Ukraine. I suspect they are also inside Russia and Belarus. Throw in Ukrainian and Polish special ops as well. 

With all the intel available I doubt the Russians have any ability to surprise anyone. I don’t particularly believe the idea that Putin will invade NATO countries if he is successful in Ukraine. If nothing else the Ukrainians have exposed the Russian military as weak, corrupt and poorly trained. Putin is in a tough spot. He continues with his attacks and waits for western support to collapse. The west feeds enough munitions to the AFU to keep them fighting. Ukraine amps up their drone capabilities in hopes they can gut the Russian supply lines and blunt any serious Russian success at the front. Ukrainians while politicians like Schultz and Trump play political games. 

• Vintage 1

Navalny’s former chief of staff Leonid Volkov attacked with hammer in Lithuania

Russian opposition activist Leonid Volkov, who is the former chief of staff of the late Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny, was attacked Tuesday outside his house in Vilnius, Lithuania, according to Navalny’s spokesperson Kira Yarmysh.

“Leonid Volkov has just been attacked outside his house. Someone broke a car window and sprayed tear gas in his eyes, after which the attacker started hitting Leonid with a hammer,” Yarmysh said in a social media post.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/12/europe/leonid-volkov-hammer-attack-lithuania-intl/index.html

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Recon in strength or diversion? They won’t have much equipment or munitions.

I wonder if they’re. Is an untold number of RUZ POW ‘s who have taken up the opportunities to train and fight equipped against Putins Regime?

Biden admin announces new weapons package for Ukraine following months of warnings there was no money left

Pentagon spokesman Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said Tuesday the package would include “Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, additional ammunition for HIMARS, 155 millimeter artillery rounds, including high explosive and dual purpose improved cluster munition rounds, 105 millimeter artillery rounds, AT4 anti-armor systems, additional rounds of small arms ammunition, demolitions, munitions for obstacle clearing, spare parts, maintenance and other ancillary equipment.”

In explaining how the Defense Department now has money available for Ukraine aid, a senior defense official said, “We had savings come in that will allow us to offset the cost of a new drawdown package.”

The Pentagon has had approximately $4 billion in drawdown authority left to send to Ukraine - weapons and equipment pulled directly from Defense Department stocks. But the Pentagon was reluctant to use that funding, because there was no replenishment money left to refill the US inventories.

The newfound savings - the result of “good negotiations” and “bundling funding across different things,” according to a second senior defense official - provided the Pentagon with an additional $300 million to use as replenishment funding, to backfill the aid sent to Kyiv.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/12/politics/us-announces-weapons-package-ukraine/index.html

• Cheers 3