The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah, the program our allies are embarking upon is nuclear powered, nuclear armed underwater weapons platforms. Not a fit for Canada in our current posture. 

After seeing what the Ukrainians are going through after giving up their nukes, and Agent Orange's threats to pull out of NATO, I'm fairly open to reconsidering that position.

• Cheers 3
  • MillerTime 1

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

to add:

This was a 2000 km target..

Nikita Tryamkin home town?  

Something about lighting matches, too much smoke...   

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

After seeing what the Ukrainians are going through after giving up their nukes, and Agent Orange's threats to pull out of NATO, I'm fairly open to reconsidering that position.

Its worth mentioning; considering our body mass to population?

Our only realistic defenses are alliances and Nukes...

Speaking of agent orange; what happens when us and some remaining polar bears are the only things between Putin & the Don?

• Vintage 3

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I agree with Gurn. Nuclear powered subs is a no brainer for Artic defense. Being concerned about what Trump might do is a absolute concern. Canada has deferred to the Americans for decades. The Canadian forces have degraded to the point that they cannot mount a viable defense of our country. Canadians have to realize that our defense is our responsibility. Do we want to be put in the position that Ukraine and Israel are in right now? It seems far fetched but isn't really. If global warming is the threat that so many assume then the rational becomes which country would covet northern assets that Canada has. When people go hungry all options are thrown out. The Americans, Chinese and Russians will all covet Canadian assets. 

The issue will always be the willingness of Canadians to pay for their own defense. I actually thank Trump for forcing Canadians to look seriously at our military capability. As the Euros finally start building their forces while whining about Trump being willing to abandon NATO, I laugh. Part of the Trump support is from American taxpayers sick and tired of paying for the defense of Europe.

When will Germany eliminate all the Russian subversives from their government? Graft and corruption is rampant in Europe, not just Ukraine. Until these people actually face execution it likely won't change. Sadly I am on the Trump bandwagon on this issue. I would never support my sons and grandsons having to fight in Europe. My father did in WW2 but not again.    

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with Gurn. Nuclear powered subs is a no brainer for Artic defense. Being concerned about what Trump might do is a absolute concern. Canada has deferred to the Americans for decades. The Canadian forces have degraded to the point that they cannot mount a viable defense of our country. Canadians have to realize that our defense is our responsibility. Do we want to be put in the position that Ukraine and Israel are in right now? It seems far fetched but isn't really. If global warming is the threat that so many assume then the rational becomes which country would covet northern assets that Canada has. When people go hungry all options are thrown out. The Americans, Chinese and Russians will all covet Canadian assets. 

The issue will always be the willingness of Canadians to pay for their own defense. I actually thank Trump for forcing Canadians to look seriously at our military capability. As the Euros finally start building their forces while whining about Trump being willing to abandon NATO, I laugh. Part of the Trump support is from American taxpayers sick and tired of paying for the defense of Europe.

When will Germany eliminate all the Russian subversives from their government? Graft and corruption is rampant in Europe, not just Ukraine. Until these people actually face execution it likely won't change. Sadly I am on the Trump bandwagon on this issue. I would never support my sons and grandsons having to fight in Europe. My father did in WW2 but not again.    

Subs , F35’s, F18’s and 16’s … an arsenal (warehouses full) of drones..  airborne, submersible , and surface..

Perhaps RE- open up the Military Base in Churchill and make it a transition base for aligned JTF with other Nations.

• Like 2

To add to the drone strike on a RuZ drone manufacturing warehouse:

Russian souces report tha the 12 victims of the drone strike in Yelabuga are students. They were "forcibly" compelled to assemble Shahed drones - Dozhd Russian TV channel

Students are threatened with expulsion for refusing to work;
They are paid about 30-40 thousand rubles a month;
 Among the students are citizens of South Sudan, Zimbabwe, Rwanda and Nigeria;
They have to work 24 hours a day, sometimes without breaks;
Disclosure of information about production is punishable by a fine of up to 2 million rubles;
In early 2023, two college students committed suicide.

In the video, Alabuga's CEO flashed the enterprise in one of the news stories a year ago.

InformNapalm, an international intelligence community, reminded Timur Shagivaleev, general director of the Alabuga Special Economic Zone, who claimed that a peaceful dormitory was attacked, how a year ago he demonstrated to local journalists the production of attack drones at this location.

"Today, Shagivaleev is paltering with truth, telling us that a 'student's dormitory was attacked.' Students who have been assembling weapons to kill Ukrainians for a year. So it is important not to be confused about cause-and-effect relationships," InformNapalm analysts noted.

Ukraine’s AI-enabled drones are trying to disrupt Russia’s energy industry. So far, it’s working – CNN

CNN geolocated the videos to Rosneft’s Ryazan refinery — one of Russia’s largest — more than 500 km (311 miles) away from Ukraine. The strike on March 13, one of several on this facility alone, was part of a concerted Ukrainian effort to target Russian oil refineries with long-range drones.

These daring Ukrainian strikes are hitting Russia’s massive oil and gas industry, which despite Western import bans and price caps has remained the biggest source of revenue for Moscow’s war economy.

The attacks have been made possible by the use of drones with longer ranges and more advanced capabilities, some of which have even begun to integrate a basic form of artificial intelligence to help them navigate and avoid being jammed, a source close to Ukraine’s drone program told CNN.

“Accuracy under jamming is enabled through the use of artificial intelligence. Each aircraft has a terminal computer with satellite and terrain data,” the source explained. “The flights are determined in advance with our allies, and the aircraft follow the flight plan to enable us to strike targets with meters of precision.”

That precision is made possible by the drone’s sensors.

“They have this thing called ‘machine vision,’ which is a form of AI. Basically you take a model and you have it on a chip and you train this model to identify geography and the target it is navigating to,” said Noah Sylvia, a research analyst at the Royal United Services Institute, a UK-based think tank.

“If you think about the sanctions that have been put in place so far, they’ve largely bypassed energy,” Croft explained. “It really has been energy exports, crude, natural gas, refined products, that have given Russia the economic lifeline to continue to fight this war.”

Reuters says 14% of Russian refining capacity is now offline. Russia has admitted some of its refining capacity is down and has temporarily banned exports of gasoline to avoid an increase in domestic fuel prices.

Source: edition.cnn.com/2024/04/01/ene…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Genius ..

cue the Jaws music ..

Let's get a couple of thousand of them flying directly into Moscow and the Kremlin, all at the same time! See how their air defense handles that. 🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2