The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Russian deputy defence minister Timur Ivanov accused of taking bribes

A Russian deputy defence minister has been accused of taking bribes and remanded in custody by a court in Moscow.

Timur Ivanov, who denies the charges, is accused of accepting bribes "on a particularly large scale".

Appointed to the defence ministry in 2016, Mr Ivanov, 47, has been responsible for Russia's military infrastructure projects.

In 2022, the Anti-Corruption Foundation (ACF), the group founded by late opposition leader Alexei Navalny, accused Mr Ivanov of participating in "corruption schemes during construction in the territories of Ukraine occupied by Russia".

In particular, it said he had profited from construction projects in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, much of which was destroyed by Russian bombing in the months following the full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Mr Ivanov's arrest marks a rare move against a member of Russia's governing elite, many of whom are believed to have used their positions to amass vast personal fortunes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68886406

With Putin wanting to emulate Peter the Great so much this checks out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m so conflicted in my response to you. 

Lol not sure what you mean buddy?  Maybe my post wasn’t worded right?  I prefer a world where we can get things done in a bipartisan manner that benefits society.. not the far right MAGA bs we’ve been dealing with for almost a decade.

• Cheers 2

Today, I addressed representatives of partner countries and international organizations in Ukraine, as well as our diplomats.

We have specific intelligence data indicating that Russia not only wants to disrupt the Peace Summit, but also has a specific plan for how to do so, including how to reduce the number of participating countries and how to act in order to thwart peace efforts for even longer. 

To counter this, we must work together, in unity, to achieve a just peace.

We are all equally interested in forcing Russia to make peace and adhere to international law. The world majority can ensure this. The Global Peace Summit in Switzerland provides us with a real opportunity to achieve just peace and restore full force to international law.

We are working together to focus the world's power on bringing a just peace to Ukraine.

14 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Russian deputy defence minister Timur Ivanov accused of taking bribes

A Russian deputy defence minister has been accused of taking bribes and remanded in custody by a court in Moscow.

Timur Ivanov, who denies the charges, is accused of accepting bribes "on a particularly large scale".

Appointed to the defence ministry in 2016, Mr Ivanov, 47, has been responsible for Russia's military infrastructure projects.

In 2022, the Anti-Corruption Foundation (ACF), the group founded by late opposition leader Alexei Navalny, accused Mr Ivanov of participating in "corruption schemes during construction in the territories of Ukraine occupied by Russia".

In particular, it said he had profited from construction projects in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, much of which was destroyed by Russian bombing in the months following the full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Mr Ivanov's arrest marks a rare move against a member of Russia's governing elite, many of whom are believed to have used their positions to amass vast personal fortunes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68886406

This has nothing to do with “war on corruption”. It’s internal russian power games. Ivanov is close to Shoigu. This arrest is a message to Shoigu from Patrushev to “choose a side”.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

This has nothing to do with “war on corruption”. It’s internal russian power games. Ivanov is close to Shoigu. This arrest is a message to Shoigu from Patrushev to “choose a side”.

i thought he was arrested for not taking a bribe personally

The FACT that Putin is , and has been relentless in his terrorism and disruption in the World,.  With no respect to International Laws,  which hypocritically, he tries to use in defensive arguments ..  

He needs to be stopped forever ,  or forever it will continue.

just my opinion.