The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

@Kootenay Gold @Yoshiyoshi

i believe we’ve been averaging 7000 a week for about 3-4 months now.

Many untrained civilians.

And now they’re pulling out vintage T55 tanks,.  Which I believe is 1950 circ.

Yes; they have been at that level for some time already, that is why I feel their continued push in this war is doomed to failure.

Putin has strategically pulled men from Eastern Russia and for the most part avoided conscripting recruits from the Moscow and St Petersburg areas. If he were to start tapping that source of "fresh meat" for the war, the support for the war might change dramatically.

@Yoshiyoshi@SilentSam I am enjoying this discussion; nice to have others on CDC that have different points of views and are willing to exchange thoughts and idea's in a friendly manner without resorting to some of the name calling etc. that I see in CDC from time to time.

Good point about the Russian losses in WW2. from what I read there were about twice as many civilian losses as combat losses. I have not seen any civilian / combat losses for Ukraine in this war but fear that it is quite high.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Chinese leadership can be amazingly candid. More the reason for Canada and others to listen and be warned. The political unity of direction is amazing. We should not forget previous atrocities committed by their leadership. We should also not forget the 100's of millions that have been lifted from abject poverty to a better economic life. Chinese leadership enjoys a tolerance because of this. 

That said there is an internal political push and pull that we don't see much of. China resents their history when imperial powers wrecked havoc in their country. When I was there I found the people curious and friendly. But like all people they can be manipulated by their leadership. 

I agree with you, but you know what you just said is nearly the same as what Trudeau did about China.

About those Turtle Tanks RuZ has been resorting to:

The Ukrainian Army released an extensive video of the infamous Russian turtle tanks. They are far worse than expected.

Underneath that garbage is an old T-62M. The gun is not operational, there is no ammunition and the turret is locked in place. The panels are sheet metal removed from all kinds of scrap metal. Visibility is expectedly atrocious. The engine burns like it is running on coal and you can hear them miles away. Worst of all, that pile of Russian scrap metal was taken out by drones, so by something they supposedly should be protected, so even the EW component is apparently rubbish.

I have covered several wars where rebels or weaker factions were forced to improvise with what they got, but I have rarely seen something so utterly terrible than this Russian thing. Remember, when it comes to logistics then there is no difference in transporting a T-90M or this. Both eat up space, time and manpower. In many cases you have to make them even barely work before sending to the front. It is relatively wasteful. You would never do anything like this unless you are absolutely desperate.

The fact that Russia has to resort to haul literal garbage is so telling and reveals once more in what condition the Russian army and logistics behind it is. It also proves that the longer this war goes on, the weaker the quality of the Russian army becomes (which btw. was never really good in the first place). They have to dig deeper in their rotting storage facilities and deploy literal garbage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Yes; they have been at that level for some time already, that is why I feel their continued push in this war is doomed to failure.

Putin has strategically pulled men from Eastern Russia and for the most part avoided conscripting recruits from the Moscow and St Petersburg areas. If he were to start tapping that source of "fresh meat" for the war, the support for the war might change dramatically.

@Yoshiyoshi@SilentSam I am enjoying this discussion; nice to have others on CDC that have different points of views and are willing to exchange thoughts and idea's in a friendly manner without resorting to some of the name calling etc. that I see in CDC from time to time.

Good point about the Russian losses in WW2. from what I read there were about twice as many civilian losses as combat losses. I have not seen any civilian / combat losses for Ukraine in this war but fear that it is quite high.

I havent looked into civilian casualties in this war in a while, but when i did (probably a year ago now) most of them were in the early months of the war in 2022 before tapering off. From what I understand most of the people in the front lines area have evacuated so civilian casualties now are from the Russian missile and drone terror attacks. Which were getting intercepted in the high 90% range at the time although that success rate has declined some what it looks like. Civilian casualties were around 15k for Ukraine with most of that happening in 2022. Havent looked into that since 2024 started.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Spineless Braindead Worthless human being :

It's rather unfortunate because Putin is also funding Hamas which started this latest round of conflict with the October 7th attacks, Putin's Birthday. A coincidence I'm sure.

People who've been abused and used, being abused and used again.

• Cheers 3