The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

The referendum had widely been expected to pass; Crimea's parliament has already voted to seek annexation by Russia.

Again, TRY READING

I read it. Story says more than once that the source is from Russian news. Comprehension is your friend.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

More educational materials. As I can see most have not done much homework here. And as my 2 posted videos showed, its more complicated that Drrr Pootin Hitlerssszzz....

there's actually alot here that corroborates the 2 videos but whatever, I am sure people will parse this out and hurl insults at me for trying to show its more complicated than they think.

Cool beans

Learning and thinking bad! Accept what we are told Good! Disagree! We will bully and insult you! Grrrr!!!!!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/03/16/290525623/crimeans-vote-on-splitting-from-ukraine-to-join-russia

If you lived in Russia, yes, the bolded part above would be particuarly true.  Especially if it led you to attempting to use free speech to question the government, or create posts like this criticizing them. It's incredibly naive of you to be attempting to support a government/ideological system where you wouldn't just receive criticism from other posters for expressing your views, but could have your freedom taken away.  Is that really the kind of government you support??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

When my boss has a different point of view from me it does not deny a nation its sovereignty. It does not reward an expansionist land-grab invasion. It does not deny the opportunity for justice from war crimes. And it does not say to other states looking to invade their smaller neighbors that it's fine because fighting back might cost people lives.

Weak strawman.

Gotta admit I chuckled at the boss thing…thinks highly of himself.

If it’s the loudmouth boor in the lunchroom that thinks he knows everything, listens to nobody, then yeah I think hurling insults is the way to go.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

What lunchroom is that? At the local Walmart? Great place to work I here! let me know when you work next! Can you get me a discount?

Probably should leave the comedy to Joey, he’s on fire tonight!

7 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

"The referendum had widely been expected to pass; Crimea's parliament has already voted to seek annexation by Russia."

Again, TRY READING the article, and thinking for yourself

You are literally proving my point. Thanks

Ahh yes, the 'referendum' that took place several weeks after Russia invaded Crimea. After a hundred thousand of eligible voters fled to the rest Ukraine. The 'referendum' that was internationally recognized as illegal (having taken place after military action to change the outcome) and viewed as little more than a sham.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

there's a quote in there about the Crimean Parliment voting to approve it prior and the expectation by all it would go through

But that would involve you willing to educate yourself on facts by reading it

You're the second person I had to read this to.....lmao

"The referendum had widely been expected to pass; Crimea's parliament has already voted to seek annexation by Russia."

back on block sweetheart, I can't take you seriously

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Things are more complex than you believe them to  be.   Ask yourself how many Russians were shipped into in Crimea, and how many Ukrainians had been forced out, at the time that referendum took place.  

Maybe start by reading the post you're replying to.  If reading comprehension is a skill you haven't acquired yet, there are many online tools available to help you.  Do your own research and find one that works for you.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe start by reading the post you're replying to.  If reading comprehension is a skill you haven't acquired yet, there are many online tools available to help you.  Do your own research and find one that works for you.

Did you really tell a right winger to "do their own research"? What is the matter with you? That's how we wind up in these situations...!!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Cool....you pretend to be a muppet online

Misspelling a lot as “alot” is an indication of belonging to a certain group. Just be extra careful with moron. We’ve all seen the images. And no. I don’t know who BRIAN is. image.thumb.jpeg.c298f73efacbcb6422ddb9d6d2203478.jpeg

Edited by Alflives

there's a quote in there about the Crimean Parliment voting to approve it prior and the expectation by all it would go through

But that would involve you willing to educate yourself on facts by reading it

You're the second person I had to read this to.....lmao

back on block sweetheart, I can't take you seriously

I read the whole thing my sweetheart champ.  If only RFK or somebody had told you the Russians bought as many politicians as possible in the years prior,  loaded the region up with Russians and pro-Russians, and made things so difficult for Ukrainians that many just up and left, and then brought forth a referendum that was widely expected to pass.  Because that's what happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Did you really tell a right winger to "do their own research"? What is the matter with you? That's how we wind up in these situations...!!

Fair, but I'm also not providing remedial English education to unreceptive students for free.

• Vintage 1

Lots of claims you make there

Any proof?

You have proof people were bought off? wow

You have proof of loading up the region? Where is it?

Lots of claims

No proof

Please stay tuned...

And you trust the "internationally recognized" WMD's.....can't have it both ways champ. Once they prove they're liars you kinda have to assume they're liars. I don't know the truth but you running to oh it was a sham, when the "international powers" have shown to lie...kinda not the flex you think it is

No. By the letter of internation law, there can not be military action by a state in a region, then a referendum on that region joining said state. 

Russia Invaded on February 27th, 2014.

The referendum was on March 16th, 2014.

Who's the "they" you're refering to? All I'm doing is reading a law and looking at a calendar. Then saying other nations looked at the same calendar and declined to recognize the referendum.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

What research have you done? What intellectual prowess have you brought here?  What FACTUAL information have you brought to counter the videos and reports I posted - NONE

All I see is someone hurling insults

Irony

I have brought exactly the correct amount of intellectual prowess that was needed. Admittedly not much was required but I hope I didn't overtax you. I'll provide factual arguments to you when you provide facts. 

• Cheers 1

I'm done with this nonsense. Enjoy your echo chamber / sandbox where you won't have to deal with things you don't like. I hear that's a good way to be an intellectual. Well that and hurling insults and making racist tropes (not you).

I'm very glad you're done posting nonsense.  I hope that you at least have the integrity to stick to your word.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

quote from the NPR article

The Crimean Peninsula is predominantly ethnic Russian, and residents say they fear being oppressed by the interim Ukrainian government that took over when President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in February. Yanukovych fled to Russia after months of protest and bloodshed.

Now lets think about what that video that Greenwald said! See how we research! See how things aren't so simple? we put different pieces together to assess as much truth as we can.

I'm done with this nonsense. Enjoy your echo chamber / sandbox where you won't have to deal with things you don't like. I hear that's a good way to be an intellectual. Well that and hurling insults and making racist tropes (not you).

A shame they never got a chance to have their voices heard in a legitimate election then. I wonder why Russia thought it was necessary to invade before a referendum if the answer was so obvious. But we'll never get to know, because they did invade.

And for the second bolded, I hope so.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Lots of claims you make there

Any proof?

You have proof people were bought off? wow

You have proof of loading up the region? Where is it?

Lots of claims

No proof

It just struck me that no proof is ever required to back up claims of scandal by the liberals but that's a topic for another thread.

Let's just ask the question was the referendum fair and legitimate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Crimea_by_the_Russian_Federation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum

https://www.cfr.org/interview/why-crimean-referendum-illegitimate

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/five-years-after-crimeas-illegal-annexation-the-issue-is-no-closer-to-resolution/

https://www.lse.ac.uk/research/research-for-the-world/society/were-crimeans-really-pro-russian-before-annexation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2014/05/05/putins-human-rights-council-accidentally-posts-real-crimean-election-results-only-15-voted-for-annexation/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Putin had already signed a peace agreement years ago. Zelensky has initialled it. UK and Britain told him not to sign it

RFK Jr has talked in depth on this as have others. Google the video and watch. 

Your not accounting for how this really happened and the treaties and agreements around it.

Your also not explaining Putins Special Military Operation that would take 3 days and have every citizen in UKraine “running to celebrate with flowers “ ..as he put it .

Putin is a Master Strategist by his own words..  obviously he is the “Brave Heart”..

right up there visiting the front lines.

lol.

watch that Netflix Docu-series based on all of the history that lead up to what’s happening today.

it’s all related.

Accounting for History by Historians speaks 

louder than anything you have referred to ,

and have been incorrect on.

I believe the Budapest Memorandum is what your referring to ..

but Putin or Zelensky we’re not involved.

What Peace agreement are you referring to?

On second thought

I 'll keep posting facts

since you seem so angered by them

We've been doing that for 250 pages before you came in here with your garbage opinions.  Facts are welcome.  Russian propaganda like the bullshit you're posting is not.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

What Peace agreement are you referring to?

I've asked twice.  I don't think he knows.  I'm guessing Minsk II because that's the one Sachs mentioned.  If he replies 'Just watch the video!' it's Minsk II.

• ThereItIs 1

Two sources from actual people in the negotiations regarding NATO after the cold war

American:

‘There was no promise not to enlarge NATO'

Robert Zoellick, the U.S. diplomat who helped negotiate the end of the Cold War, says Vladimir Putin’s claims about Ukraine are part of a disinformation campaign

https://hls.harvard.edu/today/there-was-no-promise-not-to-enlarge-nato/

oh and look a Russian source:

Did NATO Promise Not to Enlarge? Gorbachev Says “No”

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

• Thanks 3