The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ukraine-is-about-to-get-more-help-from-its-canadian-ally/ss-BB1q0xn0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0e39e554a27f4ccb826979f8aeec9b2c&ei=27

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged over $500 million in new assistance for Kyiv as a part of the Canadian commitment to helping Ukraine defend its freedom. What will all of this new money go towards? Let’s take a look at the plan. 

The Prime Minister’s office issued a statement on Canada’s new pledge to Ukraine and it noted that its new commitments include $444 million that will go to Canada’s National Defence Department to support the costs of helping Kyiv. 

anada will spend $444 million on military equipment for Kyiv and on assistance to and training for the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Specifics on what military equipment would be sent to Ukraine were not detailed in the government statement. 

---------------------

mal

wouldn’t hurt to open up the old Air base Churchill Manitoba .

I personally would like to see U.S. manufacturing or building something out of there.

Could be a Submarine base.

Training or JTF control Center .

• Like 1

As of July 15, Russia withdrew the last patrol ship of its Black Sea Fleet from the occupied Crimea, as stated by Dmytro Pletenchuk, spokesman for the Naval Forces.

At the beginning of the full-scale invasion, the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation had 74 warships. During almost 2.5 years of invasion, Ukraine destroyed or disabled at least a third of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Could be a Submarine base.

After/during Canada having more than 3 or 4.

it will be good to have a viable sub fleet again.

I'm leaning towards the type 212cd that Norway and Germany are going to build.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Boys are making their own !

!!  To any Veterans here I have a question about artillery like the on shown in this picture.

My background as a red sealed Heavy Duty Mechanic asks :

Could the Basic Driving Frames of these vehicles not be designed in such a way that 

Many different platforms of Artillery,

Howitzers, Missile systems launchers ,

Ballistic launchers, ..  various weaponry ,

Not be designed for

“INTERCHANGEABLE PLATFORMS” ?

simply put :    You drive the Vehicle into the shop and get it serviced ,  at the same time a new, rebuilt , or another weapons system is installed on the vehicle?

cuts down maintenance time ,  and gives more flexibility in battle .

…. An even more simpler understanding ,

would be drive your pick up truck in for an oil change,  and get a new box installed on your vehicle .

Not sure about rapid interchangeability. Each platform is going to have different points where it transfers the force or firing a round/launching a missile down to the frame and stabilizers and the fire control systems will be different. It would get complex to change out the electronics/firing computers and interfaces. Not sure how stabilizer and force transfer to the vehicle chasis would work. 

What can (and often is done in many militaries) is have a common underlying chasis, engine, transmission, etc across systems for ease of maintenance and spare parts availability. They probably could swap the weapon system mounted on the chasis, but it would be a more complex undertaking away from the front lines.

I think swaps would make sense systems that can all have roughly the same force (or a small enough force it doesn't matter much) applied to the vehicle and common control mechanisms. Swapping between gun, missile, or DEW short-range air defence weapons with a common fire control system, for example. I suppose HIMARS and the M270 MRLS kinda do this already, they can quickly swap between rocket artillery and ballistic missiles.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Not sure about rapid interchangability. Each platform is going to have diffetent points where it transfers the force or firing a round/launching a missile down to the frame amd stabilizers and the fire control systems will be different. It would get complex to change out the electronics/firing computers and interfaces. Not sure how stabilizer and force transfer to the vehicle chasis would work. 

What can (and often is done in many militaries) is have a common underlying chasis, engine, transmission, etc across systems for ease of maintenance and spare parts availability. They probably could swap the weapon system mounted on the chasis, but it would be a more comllex undertaking away from the front lines.

I think swaps would make sense systems that can all have roughly the same force (or a small enough force it doesn't matter much) applied to the vehicle and commom control mechanisms. Swapping between gun, missile, or DEW short-range air defence weapons with a common fire control system, for example. I suppose HIMARS and the M270 MRLS kinda do this already, they can quickly swap between rocket artillery and balistic missiles.

Thanks for your reply Matt, 

I think then perhaps a slight overbuild of a Frame Chassis design ,   
As many have extending ,outreach , Hydraulic or Elect Legs as Stabilizers,  perhaps  design to 6 points , instead of four  on corners .

the 2 extra , central to the frame would help take the Flex off the frame and undercarriage.

it’s just a thought that might revolutionize the ability for manufacturers to implement various weapons systems.

I do understand how many “systems “ are varied ..  

But if designers took this approach the Maintenance, and usability,

I think significant time lost would be decreased and efficiency increased.

Cheers Matt.

Remember when Putin tried to close down the Black Sea.  Choke Ukraine, and create exclusive markets for Russian grain?

Not to mention, this week Sevastopol no longer houses any major military ships, and they have lost 1/2 their fleet.

Despite Ukraine having no Navy...

image.thumb.png.adeb8c16a8bf8c1a98e9e7b9f9d20fb6.png

Rumours are, courtesy their buddy Erdogan, the Russians want a grain deal again?

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I realise submarines can travel under ice. 

Don't they have to surface to come to port? Its frozen over 4 months (?)  a year...  🫥 👻 🫥

I actually worked in Churchill in Spring one year ,   
I was told that the area close to the port in Churchill,  which is very close to where the Churchill River begins,  never really freezes over .

The currents in that area were swift, and warmer.

That was 2002 ,  so I don’t know if Climate change is affecting differently.

It also congregated a large number of Beluga Whales in the Winter ,  because further north was frozen and it was the only area they could breathe.

an interesting note:  in understanding what “elders” were telling me ,

Beluga wait for the ice to melt before attempting the journey back to the North Atlantic because of the freeze.

Many die trying to escape the Hudson Bay as it is freezing over.

Dont know how animal activists would feel,

but it seems like the perfect area of protection for a Sub Base., or again , tk opdn as an AirForce base.

personally I think we need to get intro manufacturing arms / artillery/ drones ,.

if we are purchasing from others , we need to contribute / manufacture to offset what we buy.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1