The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

The Republican VP Candidate everyone:

https://theconversation.com/i-dont-really-care-what-happens-to-ukraine-what-a-jd-vance-vice-presidency-could-mean-for-the-world-234815

image.thumb.png.6467b47bc316e4c3cec0f25f1856ee71.png

An ‘Asia-First’-style isolationist on Ukraine

Vance is one of many so-called “Asia First” Republican politicians who want to limit US attention on Europe and reorient the country’s resources towards countering China’s rise.

In Congress, he has garnered a reputation as one of the most vociferous opponents of continued US aid to Ukraine, saying the US has “provided a blanket of security to Europe for far too long” and calling for European allies to “step up” their own military contributions to Kiev.

Just after Russia’s invasion in February 2022, in fact, Vance bluntly declared

I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another.

At the same time, Vance maintains he is not advocating for the US to “abandon Europe”. Rather, he wants to place more focus on what he sees as a more pressing threat to US interests – competition with China – because, he said in a speech last year, “that’s where the real enemy is.”

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The Republican VP Candidate everyone:

https://theconversation.com/i-dont-really-care-what-happens-to-ukraine-what-a-jd-vance-vice-presidency-could-mean-for-the-world-234815

image.thumb.png.6467b47bc316e4c3cec0f25f1856ee71.png

An ‘Asia-First’-style isolationist on Ukraine

Vance is one of many so-called “Asia First” Republican politicians who want to limit US attention on Europe and reorient the country’s resources towards countering China’s rise.

In Congress, he has garnered a reputation as one of the most vociferous opponents of continued US aid to Ukraine, saying the US has “provided a blanket of security to Europe for far too long” and calling for European allies to “step up” their own military contributions to Kiev.

Just after Russia’s invasion in February 2022, in fact, Vance bluntly declared

I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another.

At the same time, Vance maintains he is not advocating for the US to “abandon Europe”. Rather, he wants to place more focus on what he sees as a more pressing threat to US interests – competition with China – because, he said in a speech last year, “that’s where the real enemy is.”

In some ways he's not wrong, Putin is Xi's bitch now. He can't make a real move against the US without China backing it.

This is interesting:

Ukraine will transition off of Daylight Savings Time (DST)

In 2024, on the last Sunday of October, clocks in Ukraine will be set back 1-hour and will remain that way permanently. This means that Ukraine time will always be UTC-2 as compared to western Russia which is on Moscow time (UTC-3) and had already canceled DST. It is assumed the occupied territories, including Crimea, will remain on Moscow Time until they are liberated.

"We voluntarily signed these contracts to participate in the SMO, to eradicate this fascism. But in the end, fascism is among us and is trying to eradicate us by any means necessary."

Russian soldiers of the 5th Company of the 3rd Battalion of the 7th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment suddenly realized that they were simply being "nullified" by their commanders, whom they had never even seen in person, and decided to appeal to Putin. Good luck with that.

They seem to be ok with going to another country to kill, they just don't want to get killed themselves.

25 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I note the smoke seen at the beginning of this vid, looks very much like the smoke in the video, of a few days back, claiming Chemical weapon use.

And with no confirmation, of the alleged chemical attack, I'm leaning with it didn't happen- at least not yet.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I note the smoke seen at the beginning of this vid, looks very much like the smoke in the video, of a few days back, claiming Chemical weapon use.

And with no confirmation, of the alleged chemical attack, I'm leaning with it didn't happen- at least not yet.

I've seen video's last few days;  Where Ukrainians had to dawn their gas masks. It has occurred. I'll post next I see...

In this one I think it was just morning dew fog and dew. 

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I've seen video's last few days;  Where Ukrainians had to dawn their gas masks. It has occurred. I'll post next I see...

In this one I think it was just morning dew fog and dew. 

Yep- I've seen  a vid of guys putting on masks- but no confirmation from any source that it was a chemical attack.

On 7/15/2024 at 9:09 AM, SilentSam said:

wouldn’t hurt to open up the old Air base Churchill Manitoba .

I personally would like to see U.S. manufacturing or building something out of there.

Could be a Submarine base.

Training or JTF control Center .

On 7/15/2024 at 9:19 AM, Gurn said:

After/during Canada having more than 3 or 4.

it will be good to have a viable sub fleet again.

I'm leaning towards the type 212cd that Norway and Germany are going to build.

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I realise submarines can travel under ice. 

Don't they have to surface to come to port? Its frozen over 4 months (?)  a year...  🫥 👻 🫥

I don't foresee a Submarine base in Churchill but it isn't totally out of the question. As for iced over ports, you have to look at Russia's pre-emminent submarine base in Murmansk near Northern Finland. Up the Kola river there are sub pens that house a HUGE arctic submarine fleet for Russia. Murmansk is 68.9733° N. Churchill is only 58.7679° N. 

Satellite images reveal Russian navy's massive rearmament on Kola Peninsula  | The Independent Barents Observer

The Ice Curtain: Modernization on the Kola Peninsula

^a different location but proving Russia is re-invigorating its submarine arsenal. 

My only other thought on the topic is that very recently Canada has signed an agreement on the margins of the NATO meeting recently in the USA to build Icebreakers with Finnish and American co-operation, and then announced the start of the process to acquire up to 12 new subs. The overall obvious strategy there is defending the North. The subs will have icebreaking capabilites to a degree and the icebreakers will use incredible finn engineering to also break up and open the NorthWest Passage IMO for international shipping in peace as well as defending our northern shores. Russia has been very active below the waves in Canadian waters for decades, so this is about time, but also about money in that with global warming we have a real shot at new shipping lanes passing through our territorial waters. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't foresee a Submarine base in Churchill but it isn't totally out of the question. As for iced over ports, you have to look at Russia's pre-emminent submarine base in Murmansk near Northern Finland. Up the Kola river there are sub pens that house a HUGE arctic submarine fleet for Russia. Murmansk is 68.9733° N. Churchill is only 58.7679° N. 

Satellite images reveal Russian navy's massive rearmament on Kola Peninsula  | The Independent Barents Observer

The Ice Curtain: Modernization on the Kola Peninsula

^a different location but proving Russia is re-invigorating its submarine arsenal. 

My only other thought on the topic is that very recently Canada has signed an agreement on the margins of the NATO meeting recently in the USA to build Icebreakers with Finnish and American co-operation, and then announced the start of the process to acquire up to 12 new subs. The overall obvious strategy there is defending the North. The subs will have icebreaking capabilites to a degree and the icebreakers will use incredible finn engineering to also break up and open the NorthWest Passage IMO for international shipping in peace as well as defending our northern shores. Russia has been very active below the waves in Canadian waters for decades, so this is about time, but also about money in that with global warming we have a real shot at new shipping lanes passing through our territorial waters. 

Perhaps we should be investing more in Drone tech ,.  Like Bakatar (is it?) in Turkey .

Surely this type of war tech is advancing at light speed and we should try to lead in it .

Whether it in the air ,  on or underwater ,  it all is, and can be devestating, at very little cost to human life ( of the defence) and funds .

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just throwing this out there too :

I mentioned a year or more ago ..

Sno Cats ,  and Snowmobiles for Winter ops in UKraine ..

Hello Bombardier !!   Hello Polaris !!

Get UKR Stocked up now before the snow flies !!    

Jump Crash GIF by ViralHog

Leaving Season 8 GIF by National Geographic Channel

48 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps we should be investing more in Drone tech ,.  Like Bakatar (is it?) in Turkey .

Surely this type of war tech is advancing at light speed and we should try to lead in it .

Whether it in the air ,  on or underwater ,  it all is, and can be devestating, at very little cost to human life ( of the defence) and funds .

I forget the year, but some of us signals guys were doing drone research in Petawawa, around 2005, give or take two years. We fired a LOT of surface to air stuff of varying types at several models of drones we had, the effort was to collect data on best practices for both shooting them down and avoiding being shot down. 
I can't go into details for obvious reasons but suffice to say, Canada is on it. A project I was on that was not completed by retirement was a bug sized drone we nicknamed fly of the wall. Literally would act and look like a fly only send back audio and video to the controller. I mentioned that before when the fly landed on mike pence's head during the vp debates a few US elections ago

Pretty sure we have a similar team working on naval related tech. 

also i think you are thinking of Bayraktor?

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I forget the year, but some of us signals guys were doing drone research in Petawawa, around 2005, give or take two years. We fired a LOT of surface to air stuff of varying types at several models of drones we had, the effort was to collect data on best practices for both shooting them down and avoiding being shot down. 
I can't go into details for obvious reasons but suffice to say, Canada is on it. A project I was on that was not completed by retirement was a bug sized drone we nicknamed fly of the wall. Literally would act and look like a fly only send back audio and video to the controller. I mentioned that before when the fly landed on mike pence's head during the vp debates a few US elections ago

Pretty sure we have a similar team working on naval related tech. 

also i think you are thinking of Bayraktor?

yes , Bayraktar ..

Thanks for sharing Optimus 😎

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just throwing this out there too :

I mentioned a year or more ago ..

Sno Cats ,  and Snowmobiles for Winter ops in UKraine ..

Hello Bombardier !!   Hello Polaris !!

Get UKR Stocked up now before the snow flies !!    

Jump Crash GIF by ViralHog

Leaving Season 8 GIF by National Geographic Channel

Drone-Cats! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

yes , Bayraktar ..

Thanks for sharing Optimus 😎

It is only cuz I have had a stupid song in my head since 20o2, its a bit discolike and kind of techno but the only lyrics are 
"Bayraktor and,

MY TRAKTOR"

🤭

repeated often throughout the jam. It only exists in my head...lol 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Too small, but I like the cut of its robotic gib. 

Maybe too small but it wouldn't miss the barn door on a raised podium from 200 feet. (I know, too soon)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Maybe too small but it wouldn't miss the barn door on a raised podium from 200 feet. (I know, too soon)

I reckon you know a thing or two about a thing or two. 

Upscale it so it can traverse all types of slush/hard impacted/muddied snow without jamming, etc. 

Then you have a winner. Till then, it’s a prototype that isn’t winterized. 

Canadian Tire will sort that out because it’s been Canadian ‘Tested’. 

:hurhur:

• Like 1