The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Can't say I'm surprised by this (obviously). There has to be a breaking point at some point where Russia can't even defend against Ukraine. It seems more and more evident they don't have the ability anymore to attack, so we're at least partially to that point.

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Can't say I'm surprised by this (obviously). There has to be a breaking point at some point where Russia can't even defend against Ukraine. It seems more and more evident they don't have the ability anymore to attack, so we're at least partially to that point.

That's not actually true, they just launched a new offensive last weekend that disastrously failed in most respects. They have the numbers to keep doing that and if Ukraine runs out of ammo that could allow them to break through. This is why it is important to not falter on the aid. Russia lost about 5x more vehicles than Ukraine this weekend and those levels of loss are not replaceable in a reasonable time frame. The current Ukrainian strategy is to destroy Russian equipment rather than retake land and it is working far better than the attempt at liberating territory went early in the offensive. When Russia cant supply new vehicles or aircraft and runs out of money to buy ammo from NK or drones from Iran then the war will end pretty quickly.

• Like 3
  • Tank 1

22 hours ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

That's not actually true, they just launched a new offensive last weekend that disastrously failed in most respects. They have the numbers to keep doing that and if Ukraine runs out of ammo that could allow them to break through. This is why it is important to not falter on the aid. Russia lost about 5x more vehicles than Ukraine this weekend and those levels of loss are not replaceable in a reasonable time frame. The current Ukrainian strategy is to destroy Russian equipment rather than retake land and it is working far better than the attempt at liberating territory went early in the offensive. When Russia cant supply new vehicles or aircraft and runs out of money to buy ammo from NK or drones from Iran then the war will end pretty quickly.

What I'm referring to mostly is how each offensive seems to have less success than previous attempts. It wasn't really the intention of saying they are not attacking at all, just their attacks hardly do anything anymore. Compare that with earlier this year when they did a push towards Kupiansk with some success. Obviously, the Ukrainians were able to counter it eventually, but not right away at that point. We haven't really seen anything like that since because the Russians were forced to start using those remaining forces elsewhere.

This is what I mean by a gradual dwindling of forces. There has to be a point where that breaks and the Ukrainians are able to push further. The Ukrainians I think are being smart by not doing suicidal missions but are instead trying to minimize their own losses because there likely will be that point at some point where they will break through in a big way.

Edited by The Lock

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What I'm referring to mostly is how each offensive seems to have less success than previous attempts. It wasn't really the intention of saying they are not attacking at all, just their attacks hardly do anything anymore. Compare that with earlier this year when they did a push towards Kupiansk with some success. Obviously, the Ukrainians were able to counter it eventually, but not right away at that point. We haven't really seen anything like that since because the Russians were forced to start using those remaining forces elsewhere.

This is what I mean by a gradual dwindling of forces. There has to be a point where that breaks and the Ukrainians are able to push further. The Ukrainians I think are being smart by not doing suicidal missions but are instead trying to minimize their own losses because there likely will be that point at some point where they will break through in a big way.

Some weeks ago I saw signs of a possible route in the direction of Tokmak, russia moved a lot of assets to that Zaporiizhzhia region's front and created a stop gap there. There is certainly a dwindling of skilled career soldiers and a loss of eqpt being experienced by russia. They brought in a post ww2 tank some weeks ago and recently about a week back some post www2 armoured troop carriers were destroyed in the front lines. If Russia had better gear they wouldn't be taking tanks and APC's out of museums to move to the front. 

The summer is over and largely the front lines likely won't move much, but if at all, I could see movement further towards Tokmak and/or further surrounding Bakhmut on the  part of Ukraine, while they continue to soften up Russian depots and supply camps in the rear vis a vis ATACMS/Stormshadows et cetera. 

I am still hoping Ukraine can reach the Sea of Azov before 2024 but that is looking much less likely now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Some weeks ago I saw signs of a possible route in the direction of Tokmak, russia moved a lot of assets to that Zaporiizhzhia region's front and created a stop gap there. There is certainly a dwindling of skilled career soldiers and a loss of eqpt being experienced by russia. They brought in a post ww2 tank some weeks ago and recently about a week back some post www2 armoured troop carriers were destroyed in the front lines. If Russia had better gear they wouldn't be taking tanks and APC's out of museums to move to the front. 

The summer is over and largely the front lines likely won't move much, but if at all, I could see movement further towards Tokmak and/or further surrounding Bakhmut on the  part of Ukraine, while they continue to soften up Russian depots and supply camps in the rear vis a vis ATACMS/Stormshadows et cetera. 

I am still hoping Ukraine can reach the Sea of Azov before 2024 but that is looking much less likely now. 

Yeah, and I'm not saying this break through would happen immediately, especially since Russia did recently do another draft. My guess is really that, at some point, we'll suddenly see a major breakthrough that eclipses what we've seen the past few months just because Russia still has limited resources. It doesn't matter if they're replenishing some of those resources. They are still losing them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Tokmak rail hub and further to the South a  rail crossing near Syvash are key targets that. IMO. will be taken out  in the near future. These connectors are the only rail routes to Melitopol and all of Southern Kherson Oblast. Russia relies on train transport a lot esp. in the fall through to spring muddy / wintery conditions.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/biden-warns-of-potential-russian-attack-on-poland/ar-AA1il9y6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7672565d5ab246729637498e75652e02&ei=41

"

President Joe Biden has issued a stark warning that Poland could be Russia's next target if the United States ceases its aid to Ukraine.

During an appearance on CBS's "60 Minutes," Biden emphasized that halting support for Ukraine could trigger a chain of events leading to a conflict between Russia, NATO, and the United States.

In the interview, Biden was explicit about the risks involved if the U.S. withdraws its support for Ukraine.

"Let's imagine what will happen. Let's say we stop, Russia will occupy Ukraine and enter Poland or Belarus. We are then at war. We, the United States, are at war," Biden cautioned. His comments come amid increasing resistance in Congress to continue aiding Ukraine.

The President did not mince words when he said that Russia's entry into Poland would signify the beginning of a war between Russia and NATO, including the United States. This is a scenario that the Kremlin has been hinting at for some time, including mentions of a potential attack on Poland and even the "destruction of Warsaw in a few minutes."

During the same interview, Biden assured that the U.S. government would continue to provide parallel support for both Ukraine and Israel. Currently, Israel has received two aircraft carriers from the U.S. and may soon launch a land invasion of the Gaza Strip.

Biden also touched upon the possibility of the United States being drawn into another conflict, this time with China. While the focus remains on Russia and Ukraine, the President indicated that the U.S. must be prepared for multiple challenges on the global stage.

The President's warning serves as a sobering reminder of the high stakes involved in the ongoing tensions between Russia and Ukraine, and how the U.S.'s role in the conflict could have far-reaching implications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/biden-warns-of-potential-russian-attack-on-poland/ar-AA1il9y6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7672565d5ab246729637498e75652e02&ei=41

"

President Joe Biden has issued a stark warning that Poland could be Russia's next target if the United States ceases its aid to Ukraine.

During an appearance on CBS's "60 Minutes," Biden emphasized that halting support for Ukraine could trigger a chain of events leading to a conflict between Russia, NATO, and the United States.

In the interview, Biden was explicit about the risks involved if the U.S. withdraws its support for Ukraine.

"Let's imagine what will happen. Let's say we stop, Russia will occupy Ukraine and enter Poland or Belarus. We are then at war. We, the United States, are at war," Biden cautioned. His comments come amid increasing resistance in Congress to continue aiding Ukraine.

The President did not mince words when he said that Russia's entry into Poland would signify the beginning of a war between Russia and NATO, including the United States. This is a scenario that the Kremlin has been hinting at for some time, including mentions of a potential attack on Poland and even the "destruction of Warsaw in a few minutes."

During the same interview, Biden assured that the U.S. government would continue to provide parallel support for both Ukraine and Israel. Currently, Israel has received two aircraft carriers from the U.S. and may soon launch a land invasion of the Gaza Strip.

Biden also touched upon the possibility of the United States being drawn into another conflict, this time with China. While the focus remains on Russia and Ukraine, the President indicated that the U.S. must be prepared for multiple challenges on the global stage.

The President's warning serves as a sobering reminder of the high stakes involved in the ongoing tensions between Russia and Ukraine, and how the U.S.'s role in the conflict could have far-reaching implications.

reading this i instantly heard the opening chords of this song by David Bowie in my head. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"

Biden is exactly who the world needs as POTUS right now. 

• Upvote 3