The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

Long range under the wings of birds is a massive advantage, and better than deploying from the ground..

I would think with the various mounts now incorporated on UKR Migs ,  this is or will be “plug n play” 

Perhaps the announcement will come in the US packaging about to come out?

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

salad fingers doll GIF by David Firth 

Since Luko is a mouth piece for Putin I equate his plea as that of Putin himself. It appears that Putin doesn't know what to do. His military is falling apart and his bully tactics of threatening neighbors, the world for that matter, are falling on deaf ears. His ultimate nuke threats are being ignored. It appears his ally Iran is treading water as they watch Russia on the abyss. I suspect the Revolutionary Guard and the mullahs are booking vacations outside of Tehran. That city will be a crater if Israel decides to do strike. China has its own plans on how to pick the Russian carcass. 

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Since Luko is a mouth piece for Putin I equate his plea as that of Putin himself. It appears that Putin doesn't know what to do. His military is falling apart and his bully tactics of threatening neighbors, the world for that matter, are falling on deaf ears. His ultimate nuke threats are being ignored. It appears his ally Iran is treading water as they watch Russia on the abyss. I suspect the Revolutionary Guard and the mullahs are booking vacations outside of Tehran. That city will be a crater if Israel decides to do strike. China has its own plans on how to pick the Russian carcass. 

I think, yourself and myself have been discussing the Chinese actions for some time, since the onset of the invasion in fact.

I recall a number of people saying Xi and China have no interest but I believe we both had similar views in that after Russias initial invasion stalled and Ukraine started showing the world how worthless the reality of the Russian military was that China would just be biding their time.

There has been rumours and now evidence of Chinese soldiers and monitors in Russian lines in Ukranian lands.  China has no practical battle experience and has been slyly rumoured to be sending officers to observe russian efforts and the flow of conflict from an aggressive and defensive position.  There are videos and photos to verify this.  So china is preparing for something

China wants nothing more than to be considered an arctic nation and with Russia floundering taking the ports of Vladivostok or making a direct push up an undefended east coast towards a true arctic holding is not longer a potential but an inevitability.  China needs resources and Russia's only competitor for oil, wood, metals is Canada in terms of size and available resources.  

At this point I believe we both agree it is not a matter of if, but when China strikes and what the world response would be.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think, yourself and myself have been discussing the Chinese actions for some time, since the onset of the invasion in fact.

I recall a number of people saying Xi and China have no interest but I believe we both had similar views in that after Russias initial invasion stalled and Ukraine started showing the world how worthless the reality of the Russian military was that China would just be biding their time.

There has been rumours and now evidence of Chinese soldiers and monitors in Russian lines in Ukranian lands.  China has no practical battle experience and has been slyly rumoured to be sending officers to observe russian efforts and the flow of conflict from an aggressive and defensive position.  There are videos and photos to verify this.  So china is preparing for something

China wants nothing more than to be considered an arctic nation and with Russia floundering taking the ports of Vladivostok or making a direct push up an undefended east coast towards a true arctic holding is not longer a potential but an inevitability.  China needs resources and Russia's only competitor for oil, wood, metals is Canada in terms of size and available resources.  

At this point I believe we both agree it is not a matter of if, but when China strikes and what the world response would be.

If I'm a military guy/high up in the Japanese government, I'm looking seriously at taking back the 'Kurile islands'.

1- it was theirs

2- Russia likely can't do anything to stop them

3- it keeps China restricted in their ability to access the northern Pacific.

-----------------------

heck if I'm Canada, the US or any of several northern Atlantic countries - I  might offer to assist Japan in some  way.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Further to your comments: From a geopolitical perspective I see 3 major Chinese imperatives; 1) Taiwan is a political threat but also the main source of global high end chips. Taiwan's economic success threatens the Chinese communist existence. 2) Control of the South China Sea. This again is a security threat that China has to address. 3) Raw materials: China spends tremendous amounts of $'s stock piling basic commodities. Sometimes they manipulate markets to their profit but the threat of shortages always exists. IMHO, and we are in agreement, #3 is the greatest issue China deals with. Siberia is becoming low hanging fruit as Russia implodes. It offers so much in resources that the Chinese economy needs. Oil, gas, timber and minerals. The Chinese will worry about Japan's ambitions of recovering some of their islands as well. 

Your comments about Chinese military being in Ukraine is not something I had heard about. As usual the Chinese can play both sides. They can appear as Russian allies but their observations could also be a calculated evaluation of Russian tactics in the event that they have to fight them in Siberia. I certainly do not see Chinese troops in Ukraine. The much talked about North Korean troops has not materialized.  Your concerns about some kind of Chinese action are justified. They will realize that Russia imploding will eliminate a global adversary the west has had to contend with. That puts more eyes on them.  

China might be reconsidering the way they perceive their own military might, given how the Russian's have performed in Ukraine.

In the days of the past, Russia had a pretty big hand in building/shaping China's armed forces.

watching Ukraine kick ass, should have China doing a thorough review of how they were/ are trained to fight.

They may find  a lot of mistakes in their doctrine, that need to be purged.