The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:
32 minutes ago - 

Zelenskyi: Our active preventive defense is the most effective countermeasure against Russian terror and ensuring a real complication of the situation for the aggressor state. And secondly, we now have an extremely important ideological change, namely: the whole naive, illusory concept of the so-called red lines in relation to Russia, which dominated the assessments of the war by some partners, crumbled these days somewhere under Sudzha

CARRY ON !  and   CARRY ON  !

This should appeal to those in Belarus who sit on a fence !!

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

CARRY ON !  and   CARRY ON  !

This should appeal to those in Belarus who sit on a fence !!

That flag is older than the Soviet Union. interesting but likely meaningless? A personal trinket of this particular tank commander?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

That flag is older than the Soviet Union. interesting but likely meaningless? A personal trinket of this particular tank commander?

I wouldn’t doubt a family heirloom,

with a memory or soul attached.

but a bold statement regardless !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't see how it would be meaningless. If anything, it shows there are Belarussians fighting for Ukraine. The symbolism is definately not meaningless. If anything, it means quite a bit.

The real question is how many Belarussians would something like this actually reach? The media outlet is likely to be viewed by what would already be sympathizers to the cause. The hard part is the symbolism reaching the people on the fence or the average Belarussian who are more likely to not see this at all.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't see how it would be meaningless. If anything, it shows there are Belarussians fighting for Ukraine. The symbolism is definately not meaningless. If anything, it means quite a bit.

The real question is how many Belarussians would something like this actually reach? The media outlet is likely to be viewed by what would already be sympathizers to the cause. The hard part is the symbolism reaching the people on the fence or the average Belarussian who are more likely to not see this at all.

That is what I meant by useless, i mean it has great symbolism, but likely just inherited by that particular tank commander, or something like that. It doesn't mean Belarus is turning on Russia, is what I meant by meaningless, like in the larger picture. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

UKR has been re-installing the internet and feeds of the e goons they are gaining in RuZ.

more outside feeds are available..  this happened almost simultaneously with this counter/ offensive.

I would not be surprised if hackers are / or now attempting to go deeper into RUZ regions and also Belarus.

That is what I meant by useless, i mean it has great symbolism, but likely just inherited by that particular tank commander, or something like that. It doesn't mean Belarus is turning on Russia, is what I meant by meaningless, like in the larger picture. 

Well for Belarus to turn on Russia, there would have to be a civil war first obviously. I'm not willing to say it's meaningless because I don't know who in Belarus sees this stuff. This is why I ask such things more in terms of a question. I don't want to assume things I know nothing about.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

UKR has been re-installing the internet and feeds of the e goons they are gaining in RuZ.

more outside feeds are available..  this happened almost simultaneously with this counter/ offensive.

I would not be surprised if hackers are / or now attempting to go deeper into RUZ regions and also Belarus.

Hackers can only go so far. If you hack the feed of the "masses", it only takes one Russian loyalist to report it and become countered. This makes the changing of feeds in Sudzha different than changing the feeds in the rest of Russia and Belarus, because Russia can't just change it back.

A RECAP on Putin's invasion of #Ukraine. 

1: Finland joined #NATO.

2: Sweden joined NATO.

3: Outdated Russian military tactics exposed as unchanged since WW2.

4: Russian military exposed as poorly equipped & disastrously led.

5: Russian army decimated with losses & casualties reported between 500,000 to 700,000. It now largely depends on poorly trained conscripts & volunteers.

6: Putin's endless red lines exposed as written in washable paint.

7: Medvedev's daily nuclear threats exposed as the drunken ramblings of a man-child.

8: Russia's Black Sea fleet driven from occupied #Crimea. Now barely operates in the Black Sea due to Ukrainian attacks. Ukraine's also sunk its flag ship the Moskva (Moscow).

9: Ukraine's grain & other sea exports keep growing. Russia aimed to capture all of Ukraine's Black Sea ports back in Feb 2022. 

10: Proving Putin wrong, Western countries support for Ukraine remains steadfast.

11: Massive sanctions imposed on Russia and they keep coming. Sanctions include banning Putin's vast propaganda media from the EU. 

12: Putin's planned 3 day invasion of Ukraine has now lasted well over 2 years and counting.

13: Russia hasn't achieved any of its military objectives. It still doesn't control all of eastern or southern Ukraine. 

14: Things are going so bad, Russia banned its soldiers from using mobile phones in occupied Ukraine - as too much bad news getting seen in Russia.

15: August 6th 2024: Ukraine invaded Russia's Kursk region - in BROAD DAYLIGHT. With the majority of Russia's army in Ukraine, Russia foolishly relied on young conscript soldiers to defend its border. 

As a consequence, large numbers of Russian soldiers have surrendered & Ukrainian troops continue to capture large swaths of the Kursk region. 

16: Putin claimed 😉 he invaded Ukraine to make Russia safer. And he's achieved the exact opposite. 

17: DID I MENTION UKRAINE'S INVADED RUSSIA? 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Well for Belarus to turn on Russia, there would have to be a civil war first obviously. I'm not willing to say it's meaningless because I don't know who in Belarus sees this stuff. This is why I ask such things more in terms of a question. I don't want to assume things I know nothing about.

True enough. I should take the note. 

What I would want to see on the white red white flag before I decided it was meaningful enough would be for dozens of various uses throughout the conflict, and even for it to be appearing in protests in Belarus itself, although that is unlikely right now on account of the heavy policing of the official narrative. I think Minsk is walking a line between being civil to Russia and placating its own people who would prefer stoic independence, while preserving the ruling class position and authority. I doubt they will enter the war on the Russian Side, and i doubt they enter the war even more on the Ukrainian side. Can i use the word impotent? They would be crushed by Ukraine very quickly, but they could be crushed by Russia just as quickly, i suspect, is the upper echelon's perspective. Better to sit it out entirely while making placating noises at Putin.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

True enough. I should take the note. 

What I would want to see on the white red white flag before I decided it was meaningful enough would be for dozens of various uses throughout the conflict, and even for it to be appearing in protests in Belarus itself, although that is unlikely right now on account of the heavy policing of the official narrative. I think Minsk is walking a line between being civil to Russia and placating its own people who would prefer stoic independence, while preserving the ruling class position and authority. I doubt they will enter the war on the Russian Side, and i doubt they enter the war even more on the Ukrainian side. Can i use the word impotent? They would be crushed by Ukraine very quickly, but they could be crushed by Russia just as quickly, i suspect, is the upper echelon's perspective. Better to sit it out entirely while making placating noises at Putin.

Well, I think you have your wish already with this. That flag is literally the flag of the Belarussians against Lukashenko. It does appear in protests in Belarus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–2021_Belarusian_protests

• Like 4

Well there is my morning cry, right on time. My heart is bleeding for this poor terrorized Babushka. A gramma whose starvation is helping her overcome her fear. The russian propaganda machine is a terrible burden on everyone and makes even peaceful gestures very hard to achieve. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, I think you have your wish already with this. That flag is literally the flag of the Belarussians against Lukashenko. It does appear in protests in Belarus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–2021_Belarusian_protests

That is awesome, haha, thank you for the info.

although, reading through that wiki entry...it seems those who flew it four years ago were rounded up and killed or jailed... the UN human rights watch noted roughly 450 cases of torture related to flying that flag in 2020~

• Sad 2

That is awesome, haha, thank you for the info.

although, reading through that wiki entry...it seems those who flew it four years ago were rounded up and killed or jailed... the UN human rights watch noted roughly 450 cases of torture related to flying that flag in 2020~

Yeah, it's pretty brutal their situation. I didn't realise you didn't know about those protests, but it makes sense now what your stance was and hopefully I've satisfied things a bit to show that it does matter.

Like I said earlier, I think the question's more about the reach of the news outlet and whether or not the average Belarussian gets to even see such things.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, it's pretty brutal their situation. I didn't realise you didn't know about those protests, but it makes sense now what your stance was and hopefully I've satisfied things a bit to show that it does matter.

Like I said earlier, I think the question's more about the reach of the news outlet and whether or not the average Belarussian gets to even see such things.

I remember the protests but not the details.. too many concussions. 

• Like 1