The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If a slower drone can get to Moscow,  what would an F16 be capable of ?

I was involved in a bit of a study of drone tactics and what it takes to blow them out of the sky, or at least render them 'dead' to their masters. I forget the year but we fired a lot of stuff at various drone types in the 2003-2006 range of time in Petawawa training grounds, maybe other locations i wasn't involved in too. 

I can tell you without a doubt that the drone I use to check my gutters and roof, and have fun with on the family farm is not detectable by those radar sights, and most drones that are brought down, by both sides of the conflict rely quite literally on eyes on the skies, humans, looking out for drones and very small local detection systems. It is rare for a drone to be caught on a radar like the S-300 or other SAM sites would have. 

The F16 would be taken out of the sky before it left Ukraine Airspace, by comparison.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

This could be a Russian pretext to leverage Minsk into invading Ukraine, I don't buy it yet. 

15 minutes ago
Governior of Bryansk region says FSB and Russian army foiled an attempt of Ukrainian scout group to enter Klimovo district of Bransk region

14 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This could be a Russian pretext to leverage Minsk into invading Ukraine, I don't buy it yet. 

15 minutes ago
Governior of Bryansk region says FSB and Russian army foiled an attempt of Ukrainian scout group to enter Klimovo district of Bransk region

Well, if we are to take Zelensky's words at face value and the idea now is to actually create a buffer zone, Bryansk would absolutely be a part of that. Therefore, I can see some merit to this, but it's too early to tell at the same time.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

15 minutes ago

Russia also said they destroyed all 55 armoured vehicles that entered the Kursk region. Eliminated all 1000 troops that entered.

Then looked pretty dumb a few days later. Its their go to response though, to be sure!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

15 minutes ago

I wouldn’t beleive anything that RuZ claims..

zilch …

• Thanks 1

We’re going into the month of September soon ..

last winter was harsh for them with infrastructure issues..

now that they’re in reach (tested) ,

im sure bigger gifts will sent for Christmas.

There’s always Halloween too 😉 

Halloween Ghost GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I was involved in a bit of a study of drone tactics and what it takes to blow them out of the sky, or at least render them 'dead' to their masters. I forget the year but we fired a lot of stuff at various drone types in the 2003-2006 range of time in Petawawa training grounds, maybe other locations i wasn't involved in too. 

I can tell you without a doubt that the drone I use to check my gutters and roof, and have fun with on the family farm is not detectable by those radar sights, and most drones that are brought down, by both sides of the conflict rely quite literally on eyes on the skies, humans, looking out for drones and very small local detection systems. It is rare for a drone to be caught on a radar like the S-300 or other SAM sites would have. 

The F16 would be taken out of the sky before it left Ukraine Airspace, by comparison.

Hopefully a good counter to personal drones has been developed. Just finished watching this two part series where drones and indirect fire (probably directed by surveillance drones) was a huge problem.

some of these guys hit two, three times by drones and shrapnel.

I dont recall seeing any small drone use in the videos I have watched from Afghanistan, only vaguely heard (unconfirmed) that maybe some special forces used some drones.

Edited by BarneyKook

1 hour ago, BarneyKook said:

Hopefully a good counter to personal drones has been developed. Just finished watching this two part series where drones and indirect fire (probably directed by surveillance drones) was a huge problem.

some of these guys hit two, three times by drones and shrapnel.

I dont recall seeing any small drone use in the videos I have watched from Afghanistan, only vaguely heard (unconfirmed) that maybe some special forces used some drones.

the only 2 things I’ve seen to counter personal drones..

1: radar / frequency/ jammer personal guns 

2: shotgun 

but either you have to have sight of, be within 100 ft , lucky ,  and fast as Fk 

Lately ,  these same drones have carried 5kg of explosives,  been clocked at 200 kph,  and taken out 2 confirmed helicopters in flight .

is it any wonder that the Kill / injury count for RuZ troops is over 1000 per day and has been since January this year.

You know... this war's really made me know the geography of Ukraine a lot better than I used to and now it's starting to do the same with Russia! Still would give all that knowledge up in place of there being no war in the 1st place, but still...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

the only 2 things I’ve seen to counter personal drones..

1: radar / frequency/ jammer personal guns 

2: shotgun 

but either you have to have sight of, be within 100 ft , lucky ,  and fast as Fk 

Lately ,  these same drones have carried 5kg of explosives,  been clocked at 200 kph,  and taken out 2 confirmed helicopters in flight .

is it any wonder that the Kill / injury count for RuZ troops is over 1000 per day and has been since January this year.

Israel has a new manpac lazer system that has in testing proven 100% effective aginst drones, but production and training will delay implementation

• Thanks 1