The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

48 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't know about that number. It is in the thousands, 100%, but I just don't think it is that high. The CIA fact book cites a standing ground troop force of 350,000 and a further 150,000 airborne troops along with 20,000 special operations forces. almost a million total full time personnel.  While it does't specifically list tanks, I understand the Russian Federation to have had a prewar number said to be around 13,000 total tanks, but modern 'main battle fleet' tanks hovering around 3,000. 
We have seen some instances of post ww2 tanks rumbling into battle or dug in as more or less stationary artiliary pieces, so maybe the high number of 13,000 is correct? I would guess it is less, but I just don't know exactly. If 5000 russian tanks destroyed is correct they coming close to having lost half their prewar complete total of all possible tanks. 

From https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Tanks (2419, of which destroyed: 1580, damaged: 137, abandoned: 152, captured: 550)...all with photo proof. 

27 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

From https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Tanks (2419, of which destroyed: 1580, damaged: 137, abandoned: 152, captured: 550)...all with photo proof. 

That seems more likely to me, but mabye we will never know. They seem to be hurtling tanks at Andriivka these past weeks like every day and losing 25 or 40 or more each time. Russian Lives are cheap i guess, according to Russian commanders actions with them. 

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

That seems more likely to me, but mabye we will never know. They seem to be hurtling tanks at Andriivka these past weeks like every day and losing 25 or 40 or more each time. Russian Lives are cheap i guess, according to Russian commanders actions with them. 

I'm sure oryx is missing a bunch because not every tank kill is photographed and shared but claiming more than twice what is documented seems like a stretch. 

Just looked again and oryx lists 1010 armoured fighting vehicles, I'm now thinking that's where they get the 5000+ figure.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Turkey's Erdogan submits Sweden's NATO bid to parliament for ratification -presidency

https://www.reuters.com/world/turkeys-erdogan-submits-swedens-nato-bid-parliament-ratification-presidency-2023-10-23/

I wonder if this is part of a negotiation for Sweden to not expel and strip citizenship from protestors there defending hamas? I am curious about the confidential negotiations going on. Part of me suspects Turkey would want Sweden to not expel arab refugees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I wonder if this is part of a negotiation for Sweden to not expel and strip citizenship from protestors there defending hamas? I am curious about the confidential negotiations going on. Part of me suspects Turkey would want Sweden to not expel arab refugees.

I think your suspicions are probably bang on.

Do you guys realize that this is not a video game, and real Ukrainians and Russians are losing their lives?  

How many of you have served in a war where lives were lost?  Have any of you lived in a war-torn country?  I have and there is NO winners. 

Why is the US and the EU budgeting for this war to go on for another 2-4 years?  

Where is the push for a peace agreement?  Why was Ukraine pushed out of peace negotiations in favour of a war more then a year ago?  

People that are profiting from this war are: 

1. US arms dealers, to the tune of billions of dollars. 

2. US companies that will rebuild, to the tune of billions of dollars. 

3. Russian arms companies. 

4. Russian oil companies. 

5. NATO with new members. 

That's it. Ukraine has been set back decades.  Everybody that was smart has left the country.  Men of all ages have died.  Infrastructure has been destroyed, mind you Blackrock will probably get a billion dollar contract to rebuild some of it in a decade.