The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought they were fighting communism?

Isn’t governments taking over private enterprises a slippery slope towards communism?

Taking over?  There are some murky aspects to this Telegram thing but that's a bit of an exaggeration.

• Cheers 1

I'm glad the AFU will have another chance to end this slime bucket.

A Russian murderer who was released from prison to fight in the war in Ukraine, only to then kill an elderly woman, has been released a second time to return to the front, according to relatives of the woman.

In 2022, Ivan Rossomakhin was released from prison, where he was serving a 14-year prison sentence for murder, to join the Wagner mercenary group.

He was later allowed to return home to the district of Vyatskiye Polyany in Russia’s Kirov Region. There, he attacked and killed 85-year-old Yulia in her own house.

The killing was one of several committed by criminals who had been released from prisons all over Russia to join the Wagner group.

In April this year, 29-year-old Rossomakhin was found guilty of Yulia’s rape and murder and sentenced to 22 years in a high-security prison, later increased to 23 years. The court noted that the killing "involved extreme brutality".

An official document seen by the BBC, signed by the prison governor, states that the inmate was released in connection with a specific Russian law that allows the military to recruit convicts to send to the frontline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg58mj7mzrdo

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I was more referring to Starlink.

Starlink wasn’t taken over by the government. The elements used by the entities related to national security are being under government control. Not really different from the government using any other software for their purposes 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I thought they were fighting communism?

Isn’t governments taking over private enterprises a slippery slope towards communism?

Do not look in the canada thread regarding housing and you won't have to have that debate 😉 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Regardless of what you think of him he does raise a valid concern.

The amount of interference by governments and billionaires with communication platforms should definitely be alarming to people.

How do you know its valid?

You might wait till the trial and disclosure of facts.  The reality is social media platforms are common launching pads, yes, for free speech. Also disinformation, OFTEN in the form of raising & coordinating resistance movements, encouraging criminal or crowd violence, terrorism, money laundering, harassment or stalking, people smuggling. There will be things that are completely legal for govt.s to ask for in terms of information, disclosure in compliance with laws. 

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just an FYI ….  a big   FYI !

People will suspect Israel. Yet could be an extremely looooonnnngggg list of actors in the area. As simple as Kurds or Armenians chipping away at Iran? As unlikely & complicated as Ukraine. Remnants of ISIS, Pakistani intelligence groups, ISIS K, Saudi dissidents or supported groups going rogue...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

People will suspect Israel. Yet could be an extremely looooonnnngggg list of actors in the area. As simple as Kurds or Armenians chipping away at Iran? As unlikely & complicated as Ukraine. Remnants of ISIS, Pakistani intelligence groups, ISIS K, Saudi dissidents or supported groups going rogue...

i wonder if they were tankers loaded with weapons/ missiles headed for RuZ !?

There was talk of a shipment,  and the U.S. told them to stand down ..

it’s also known that UKR ops have been prevalent in that area for over a year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Starlink wasn’t taken over by the government. The elements used by the entities related to national security are being under government control. Not really different from the government using any other software for their purposes 

“national security”

That term gets used very broadly in the US it seems…

It’s okay as long as the right people are profiting from death and destruction right. 😉

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

“national security”

That term gets used very broadly in the US it seems…

It’s okay as long as the right people are profiting from death and destruction right. 😉

I’m not really sure where you are going with this. Someone is always profiting from something.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

i wonder if they were tankers loaded with weapons/ missiles headed for RuZ !?

There was talk of a shipment,  and the U.S. told them to stand down ..

it’s also known that UKR ops have been prevalent in that area for over a year.

It mentioned tankers at the Iranian / Iraq border, presumably beside Kuwait...

I am aware of Ukrainian special forces fighting Wagner at the Syrian / Israeli border.  Although Wagner should have been on my list, just not as an actor attacking, their ally, Iran. My understanding is southern Iraq along the Persian Gulf is comfortably under Iraqi control. Not an active, or percolating conflict zone like in Northern Iraq; example Mosul which had been taken over by IS. Turkey could be on the list also, but attacking a tanker in the Persian Gulf?

I  suspect it was (just) a tanker & the target was it as a an oil faculty; likely a signalling attack. Creating a new conflict zone either amongst civil conflict in Iraq which has been constant since Saddam Hussein. It also wouldn't be the 2knd time Iran & Iraq would have traded blows. Particularly as Iran has constantly supported groups party to the civil conflicts in Iran.

Apologies for talking my way through what might be occurring?  🫢

Was the tanker at Basrah or in Iranian waters?

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

..  and a WARNING FOR PUTIN ,

with a complementary missile strike up coming to prove UKR mean business!

❗️Ukraine's new ballistic missile will be able to reach Moscow, Oleksandr Kovalenko, columnist for the Information Resistance group, commented to RBC-Ukraine.
Times of Ukraine

"A Ukrainian missile will hit Moscow, hit something very important, after which russia will be given an ultimatum: either you leave Ukraine, or we will destroy Moscow and St. Petersburg, the most important events of the war are ahead of us," - Gordon

Clearly the hit on the residential highrise was a warning not just to the Russians but also to the world community. Ukraine is showing a high level capability in developing weaponry. Russia indescriminately attacks civilian populations inside Ukraine and also attacks essential infrastructure. Ukraine is showing they can do the same. If Russia escalates their attacks with some form of tactical nuclear weapons they must assume Ukraine can do the same.

The fact that Ukraine's western allies have not provided the weapons needed to defeat Russia suggests political imperatives in those governments that do not jive with the suffering inside Ukraine. I suspect Ukrainians will have a long memory concerning how they have been used by some western allies. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Updates:

Yaroslaval Oil Refinery evacuated after drone strikes reported incoming (source image is stock)

image.png.ce93c3aafc5a45e25781bfd5273b66be.png

UAF reclaims lost positions SW of Kreminna 

https://gwaramedia.com/en/isw-ukraine-regained-lost-positions-southwest-of-kreminna-on-kupiansk-svatove-kreminna-axis/

Atlas Oil Refinery and depot hit overnight:

image.png.2a8bd9a88ac2c32ea9596dbbfcd20324.png

UAF destroys sapphire EW system near Kursk Oblast

https://news.liga.net/en/politics/video/special-operations-forces-destroy-russian-sapphire-ew-system-in-kursk-oblast-video

Russia relocates almost entirety of air fleet outside of ATACMs range.

https://united24media.com/latest-news/russia-relocates-90-of-aircraft-to-bases-beyond-atacms-range-1965

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2