The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

This feels horrible to say as I’m sure innocent lives have been lost……

But I just don’t give a shit.  
Over 2 years of sitting there thinking ‘Putin sure is great. Let’s keep bombing Ukraine without saying shit against it’.  
Sorry.  
Your time has come.  
Id like to see Moscow in rubble. 
The time is now to stand up against that monster, get the fuck out of the way, or get buried in your home like the folks of Ukraine. 

You're acting like the average Russian citizen can just say stuff publicly. Easy to armchair this but can you honestly say that you would go to a Russian jail willingly?

We need to keep the pressure on pooty, and start calling out pos like Modi for helping him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

You're acting like the average Russian citizen can just say stuff publicly. Easy to armchair this but can you honestly say that you would go to a Russian jail willingly?

We need to keep the pressure on pooty, and start calling out pos like Modi for helping him.

You can’t arrest them all.  

Obviously I’m not saying one dude walks down the road and says this stinks. 
Why would you even think that?   
Protests can be very effective.  
The country is now seeing first hand what Putin has done to them.  
At some point, people need to take a stand.  

Or you can be weak and watch your country become a shithole and internationally shunned. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You can’t arrest them all.  

No but they do grab up some. What I'm asking is, is that you? Are you the guy willing to go to jail?

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Obviously I’m not saying one dude walks down the road and says this stinks. 
Why would you even think that?   
Protests can be very effective.  
The country is now seeing first hand what Putin has done to them.  
At some point, people need to take a stand.  

Or you can be weak and watch your country become a shithole and internationally shunned. 

They write themselves as the hero of the story, they don't see it this way.

1 minute ago, RomanPer said:

This is where I disagree with you. Support of putin and this war is very high within russia, not unlike in nazi germany during WWII. They allow themselves to be brainwashed and are just as culpable in the war crimes as the top of russian pyramid.

I guess I don't see the point in the "let's nuke Moscow" armchair stuff. 

I don't believe everyone in Russia wants this conflict, and there isn't an avenue for those voices. Where do people like Zadorov eg have to go before they can speak out?

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No but they do grab up some. What I'm asking is, is that you? Are you the guy willing to go to jail?

If my families life is at risk, me going to a protest is the least I’ll be doing.  

Are you scared to stand up for your families safety?   

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They write themselves as the hero of the story, they don't see it this way.

K

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

If my families life is at risk, me going to a protest is the least I’ll be doing.  

Are you scared to stand up for your families safety?   

K

In Russia your family is at risk if you go to a protest.

Just now, Satchmo said:

In Russia your family is at risk if you go to a protest.

It was the same in Ukraine prior to 2014 with pro-russian president and the government and russian citizens holding some key positions in many ministries (including police and military). Yet, it didn't stop people from coming out in November 2013. I guess that's the difference between people in these 2 countries.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

It was the same in Ukraine prior to 2014 with pro-russian president and the government and russian citizens holding some key positions in many ministries (including police and military). Yet, it didn't stop people from coming out in November 2013. I guess that's the difference between people in these 2 countries.

One of the two countries is not Russia and only one wants to be.

In the end, people have to make a choice. To keep quiet and stay safe and hope that safety continues, or stand up and do something to try to change things. This doesnt just apply to Russia either. If you choose to do nothing and pretend its not your problem, then you bear some responsibility for what happens when your government does something. If you or your family get killed as a result of collateral damage in a war, you can complain about the unfairness of it all you want, but you chose to do nothing and keep quiet and let others suffer so you dont have the moral high ground when they fight back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep and we need to keep supporting Ukrainian efforts.

No shit.  
Nobody said we shouldn’t. 
Like not even a mention of the idea.  
I said they should start standing up to their monstrous leader.  
Their lives are at risk and people are dying.  
How long do they wait?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

No shit.  
Nobody said we shouldn’t. 
Like not even a mention of the idea.  
I said they should start standing up to their monstrous leader.  
Their lives are at risk and people are dying.  
How long do they wait?

Dunno, you make it sound like an easy thing to do, maybe you need to go there and show them how it's done.

22 minutes ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

In the end, people have to make a choice. To keep quiet and stay safe and hope that safety continues, or stand up and do something to try to change things. This doesnt just apply to Russia either. If you choose to do nothing and pretend its not your problem, then you bear some responsibility for what happens when your government does something. If you or your family get killed as a result of collateral damage in a war, you can complain about the unfairness of it all you want, but you chose to do nothing and keep quiet and let others suffer so you dont have the moral high ground when they fight back.

You are correct, but I think it's human nature for most people to have to wait for a few brave folks to lead the way. I don't believe that most people in any country have that kind of fearless leadership within them.

We need to keep demonstrating to Russian people how wrong Putin was, at some point enough people will begin to protest but I'm not going to sit here and arm chair pretend like it would be easy.