The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am incredibly suspicious...

Fake News?

Graham has been a consistent supporter of Ukraine but what real influence will he have if Trump is elected. The Trump/Harris debate gave me no reassurance from Trump that he would stand by Ukraine. I cannot trust him. Trump made a legit point about the Euros not carrying their fair share of the cost to support Ukraine. It appears that support is increasing but then you hear Zelensky say that promises are made but not kept. If elected my hope is that Harris will take the haandcuffs off the AFU and let them use their weapons to their fullest capabilities. American support has to increase a nd fixed timelines given for NATO membership to Ukraine. If Putin is faced with a fixed entry date for Ukraine to NATO then he has to pull out or face NATO moving assets into Ukraine. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Graham has been a consistent supporter of Ukraine but what real influence will he have if Trump is elected. The Trump/Harris debate gave me no reassurance from Trump that he would stand by Ukraine. I cannot trust him. Trump made a legit point about the Euros not carrying their fair share of the cost to support Ukraine. It appears that support is increasing but then you hear Zelensky say that promises are made but not kept. If elected my hope is that Harris will take the haandcuffs off the AFU and let them use their weapons to their fullest capabilities. American support has to increase a nd fixed timelines given for NATO membership to Ukraine. If Putin is faced with a fixed entry date for Ukraine to NATO then he has to pull out or face NATO moving assets into Ukraine. 

The EU is out-spending the US 2 to 1 on Ukraine aid. A lot of it is financial and humanitarian aid, not just military. Doesn't have the same battlefield effect, of course, but it's still important that pensioneer's cheques don't bounce to keep society functioning.

• Like 1

Latvia 🇱🇻 to Provide Armored Personnel Carriers in New Military Support Package for Ukraine On September 11, Latvian Prime Minister Evika Siliņa announced a new package of military support for Ukraine during a meeting in Kyiv with Ukraine’s Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal. Shmyhal announced that the provided Latvian military support package will include armored personnel carriers. Additionally, Shmyhal thanked his counterpart for the "Drone Coalition for Ukraine" initiative, the supply of drones for the Ukrainian soldiers, and the assistance with energy equipment.iMNjdLTdzZImcy4V9MbLcW4-28bnocfuOb9F274ayuoriIpT3AhrJsOA2dR_wvaQ5CIRoI9tB5w3=s800-rw-nd-v1

• Upvote 1

Just an fyi :

#DebateNight2024  Full Harris quote on Ukraine:  

"Let's understand what happened here: I actually met with Zelenskyy a few days before Russia invaded. Tried through force to change territorial boundaries, to defy one of the most important international rules and norms, which is the importance of sovereignty and territorial integrity. And I met with President Zelenskyy. I shared with him American intelligence about how he could defend himself. Days later, I went to NATO's Eastern Flank, to Poland and Romania. And through the work that I and others did, we brought 50 countries together to support Ukraine in its righteous defense. And because of our support, because of the air defense, the ammunition, the artillery, the javelins, the Abrams, tanks that we have provided. Ukraine stands as an independent and free country. If Donald Trump were president, Putin would be sitting in Kyiv right now. And understand what that would mean, because Putin's agenda is not just about Ukraine. Understand why the European allies and our NATO allies are so thankful that you are no longer president, and that we understand the importance of the greatest military alliance the world has ever known, which is NATO, and what we have done to preserve the ability of Zelenskyy and the Ukrainians to fight for their independence. Otherwise, Putin would be sitting in Kyiv with his eyes on the rest of Europe, starting with Poland. And why don't you tell that 800,000 Polish Americans right here in Pennsylvania how quickly you would give up for the sake of favor and what you think is a friendship with what is known to be a dictator who would eat you for lunch...."

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 2

YEEEEEEES 🚀🚀🚀🎉🎉🎉

🇬🇧✅ British government sources indicated that a decision had already been made to allow Ukraine to use Storm Shadow cruise missiles on targets inside Russia, - The Guardian

🇺🇸 Blinken gave his strongest hint yet that the White House is about to lift its restrictions on Ukraine using long-range weapons supplied by the west on key military targets inside Russia, with a decision understood to have already been made in private.

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

YEEEEEEES 🚀🚀🚀🎉🎉🎉

🇬🇧✅ British government sources indicated that a decision had already been made to allow Ukraine to use Storm Shadow cruise missiles on targets inside Russia, - The Guardian

🇺🇸 Blinken gave his strongest hint yet that the White House is about to lift its restrictions on Ukraine using long-range weapons supplied by the west on key military targets inside Russia, with a decision understood to have already been made in private.

I'd prefer if the restrictions were lifted unannounced so the orcs didn't have time to move their assets out of range.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

UK 🇬🇧 Announces £600 Million Aid Package to Ukraine, Including Air Defense Missiles This package includes hundreds of additional air defense missiles, tens of thousands of artillery rounds, and more armored vehicles, all of which will be delivered to Ukraine by the end of the year. UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy, during his visit to Kyiv alongside US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, confirmed that the UK will continue to support Ukraine in its fight against Russian aggression. Lammy stated that this assistance will be a crucial contribution to ensuring Ukraine’s security and resilience in the face of ongoing attacks. Additionally, Lammy announced £242 million in funding for humanitarian and energy needs, as well as support for reforms, recovery, and reconstruction in Ukraine. Furthermore, the UK will provide £30 million to facilitate trade through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.QU-pxrqE_9eq5GbqcPxkIj2M9HfeuAoAtPH6nJrKm57RHc1tuLYs5qx42PVFUcs0g4T8pY9IQf0oPQ=s800-rw-nd-v1

• Like 2
  • Tank 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with your comments fully.

Aside from saying Trump would leverage an opportunity for Ukraine?  That key part I do not trust. Lindsay Graham himself did say many supportive things in the video.

It did not stop him from being dumb enough to suggest a madman solve the problem.

• ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree with your comments fully.

Aside from saying Trump would leverage an opportunity for Ukraine?  That key part I do not trust. Lindsay Graham himself did say many supportive things in the video.

It did not stop him from being dumb enough to suggest a madman solve the problem.

without something more concrete than vague "leverage" i wouldnt trust anything from that direction on the issue.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

#DebateNight2024  Full Harris quote on Ukraine:  

"Let's understand what happened here: I actually met with Zelenskyy a few days before Russia invaded. Tried through force to change territorial boundaries, to defy one of the most important international rules and norms, which is the importance of sovereignty and territorial integrity. And I met with President Zelenskyy. I shared with him American intelligence about how he could defend himself. Days later, I went to NATO's Eastern Flank, to Poland and Romania. And through the work that I and others did, we brought 50 countries together to support Ukraine in its righteous defense. And because of our support, because of the air defense, the ammunition, the artillery, the javelins, the Abrams, tanks that we have provided. Ukraine stands as an independent and free country. If Donald Trump were president, Putin would be sitting in Kyiv right now. And understand what that would mean, because Putin's agenda is not just about Ukraine. Understand why the European allies and our NATO allies are so thankful that you are no longer president, and that we understand the importance of the greatest military alliance the world has ever known, which is NATO, and what we have done to preserve the ability of Zelenskyy and the Ukrainians to fight for their independence. Otherwise, Putin would be sitting in Kyiv with his eyes on the rest of Europe, starting with Poland. And why don't you tell that 800,000 Polish Americans right here in Pennsylvania how quickly you would give up for the sake of favor and what you think is a friendship with what is known to be a dictator who would eat you for lunch...."

Thanks so very much for posting this!

• Cheers 1

US 🇺🇸 allocates aid to Ukraine for more than $700 million US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken announced this during his visit to Kyiv. ▪️ $325 million will be directed to energy support: capacity repair, emergency backup power provision, and energy infrastructure security strengthening. ▪️ $290 million was allocated to finance food, water, housing, health care, and educational programs for the needy in Ukraine and refugees. ▪️ $102 million will be allocated to demining territories.6tNIgoQjJ5mpdLNnURqIO53dCfL4mgzlGS7taSGaeIbRsKFwiTtKHiR0ro1SDcue40Zc5T9IF4qYg9I=s800-rw-nd-v1

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This, from Ukraine Support Tracker ...

Update August 06, 2024:

Data until June 30th 2024

The Ukraine Support Tracker Release 18 now covers up to June 30th 2024. In May and June 2024, new allocations totaled 10.6 billion Euro. Among bilateral donors, the U.S. remains the top provider of aid, with a total of 75.1 billion Euro in allocations, driven in large part by its 51.6 billion euros of military aid. Germany, the U.K., Japan, and Canada follow, with 14.7, 13.1, 9.1, and 7.2  billion Euro in total allocations respectively, to complete the ranking of the top 5 bilateral donors. In terms of total bilateral allocations as a percent of 2021 GDP, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania top the ranking with 1.8, 1.7, and 1.4 percent.

As a whole, Europe, which includes the EU institutions and member states as well as the U.K, Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland, has allocated a total of 110.2 billion Euro, of which roughly half (51.5 billion Euro) has been for military aid.

So military aid is about equal

Here's the link to their site:

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Thanks for that, more like 1.5 to 1 in total aid than the 2 to 1 I said earlier. 

Edited by MattJVD

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

This, from Ukraine Support Tracker ...

Update August 06, 2024:

Data until June 30th 2024

The Ukraine Support Tracker Release 18 now covers up to June 30th 2024. In May and June 2024, new allocations totaled 10.6 billion Euro. Among bilateral donors, the U.S. remains the top provider of aid, with a total of 75.1 billion Euro in allocations, driven in large part by its 51.6 billion euros of military aid. Germany, the U.K., Japan, and Canada follow, with 14.7, 13.1, 9.1, and 7.2  billion Euro in total allocations respectively, to complete the ranking of the top 5 bilateral donors. In terms of total bilateral allocations as a percent of 2021 GDP, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania top the ranking with 1.8, 1.7, and 1.4 percent.

As a whole, Europe, which includes the EU institutions and member states as well as the U.K, Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland, has allocated a total of 110.2 billion Euro, of which roughly half (51.5 billion Euro) has been for military aid.

So military aid is about equal

Here's the link to their site:

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Where's Italy in this??

Croatian PM 🇭🇷 announces new package of military assistance to Ukraine During his visit to Kyiv on 11 September, Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković announced an additional military aid package for Ukraine. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed gratitude to the Croatian Prime Minister for his personal involvement in the fourth summit of the international Crimean Platform, as well as the opening of the Memorial to the Victims of the Crimean Tatar Genocide. Neither the Ukrainian nor Croatian parties have revealed the contents of this assistance package.LztXLPjT3Xim6WFxKlGCq9AGBPKbZcHe1qtQTXaJvTP_OukTOJyUAu5NyvO6FO8yqCnWDH6nLakk-g=s800-rw-nd-v1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1