The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

Russian memorials to victims of Stalin vanish

Memorials to victims of Stalinist repression in Russia are disappearing or being vandalised amid increasing attempts to rehabilitate the Soviet dictator.

For the past nine years, more than 700 plaques have been put up in Russia and elsewhere, commemorating the final residences of people who died in Stalin's purges in the 1930s.

Since May, however, dozens have disappeared in several Russian cities, according to Oksana Matievskaya, who is part of the plaque project Posledniy Adres (last address).

Police are not investigating the issue and Ms Matievskaya believes this is no coincidence.

"The memory of the Soviet terror challenges the concept of the state always being right and is, therefore, inconvenient for the Russian authorities. Especially following the invasion of Ukraine," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67408650

• Thanks 3

On 11/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, SilentSam said:

I’m reading that this is going well ..

and that they did get the foothold a month ago.

By all accounts ,   The firepower to support the advance is in position,  and for deeper work,  UKraine ingenuity is reaching new lengths.

I think (or at least I'm hoping) that the fact that Russia hasn't pulled a lot of resources from other fronts for this indicates they might be at that breaking point of not having enough manpower for all of the front, at least not enough to pull much more offensively.

• Cheers 2

Ukraine war: Army claims foothold on bank of Dnipro river in south

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff Andriy Yermak has said that Ukrainian forces have gained a foothold on the left (eastern) bank of the Dnipro river.

Russia has admitted that some Ukrainian forces have set up positions in a village but claims they will soon be wiped out.

If the area is held it would mean a significant advance for Ukraine.  Russia retreated from the right bank of the river a year ago.

The Ukrainian army has since been trying to create and hold a bridgehead on its eastern shore.

"The Armed Forces of Ukraine captured a bridgehead on the left bank of the Dnipro," Mr Yermak told a US think tank, using a military term for a secured position.

US-based experts said earlier that marginal advances had been made into the village of Krynky, 2km (1.25 miles) inland from the river and 30km from the city of Kherson, recaptured a year ago.

Russia conceded on Wednesday that "small groups" of Ukrainian forces had set up positions in the village on the left bank.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67424672

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I think (or at least I'm hoping) that the fact that Russia hasn't pulled a lot of resources from other fronts for this indicates they might be at that breaking point of not having enough manpower for all of the front, at least not enough to pull much more offensively.

I beleive there are other state/ countries normally associated with RuZ starting to have that same sentiment ,.  And are showing no reason to help Putin.

There is always opportunity within chaos,

hopefully it all falls apart, and better alliances are created with those states that wish to back away from RuZ