The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the real question would be whether or not it's more of an environmental disaster long term not blowing up the base. Those bases are not exactly pollution friendly to begin with.

Read that thrice and I'm not sure I get it.   If I do get it, I'm afraid I must disagree.

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Read that thrice and I'm not sure I get it.   If I do get it, I'm afraid I must disagree.

There's a ton of pollution just from them operating their bases, anywhere from the chemicals they use to the pollutants from the vehicles. A lot of those bases have bad air pollution in general from what I've heard/read.

Edit: Here's a link from a more generalized pollution report of Russia. Obviously, given the site is just HTML and nothing else, it's good to be precautionary obviously: https://irp.fas.org/nic/environmental_outlook_russia.html#:~:text=Petroleum-based products have contaminated,the nearby region for decades.

That being said, the following's pretty damning: 

"Petroleum-based products have contaminated the ground at many military bases, particularly around areas used for fuel storage and vehicle maintenance. Radioactive material from Russia's nuclear weapons complexes at Chelyabinsk, Tomsk, and Krasnoyarsk-26 have contaminated the nearby region for decades."

Edited by The Lock

6 hours ago, Satchmo said:

When I see images like this my first thought it is nice to see Russia getting their just deserts.   My second thought is what an environmental disaster this whole thing has been.   All the more reason to detest Putin and his cronies.

best to leave blame and responsibility to Putin and everyone else going to the Haugue..  and even there noted in charges.

To add to a post :

Growing backlash against with the shameful decision to allow Russia's head propagandist Lavrov, to attend the #OSCE meeting in the North Macedonian capital Skopje. #Ukraine, #Estonia, #Latvia and #Lithuania now said their top diplomats wont take part. Incredibly, #Bulgaria said it would allow Lavrov's plane to fly through its territory. theguardian.com/world/live/202…

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I saw a Ukrainian war dead figure of approximately 70,000 (I think on 60 Minutes) which made the 300,000 Russian dead a questionable figure. Almost all analysts had a 8:1 ratio at one point. Obviously a lot of guesswork involved. A good question would be how many Russian wounded die away from the battlefield? Many Russian POW's have said that conditions in field hospitals and even back in home towns is very bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

There's a ton of pollution just from them operating their bases, anywhere from the chemicals they use to the pollutants from the vehicles. A lot of those bases have bad air pollution in general from what I've heard/read.

Edit: Here's a link from a more generalized pollution report of Russia. Obviously, given the site is just HTML and nothing else, it's good to be precautionary obviously: https://irp.fas.org/nic/environmental_outlook_russia.html#:~:text=Petroleum-based products have contaminated,the nearby region for decades.

That being said, the following's pretty damning: 

"Petroleum-based products have contaminated the ground at many military bases, particularly around areas used for fuel storage and vehicle maintenance. Radioactive material from Russia's nuclear weapons complexes at Chelyabinsk, Tomsk, and Krasnoyarsk-26 have contaminated the nearby region for decades."

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

best to leave blame and responsibility to Putin and everyone else going to the Haugue..  and even there noted in charges.

I'm hesitant to 'argue' with either of you two gentleman but I stand by my conviction that the whole war, not just the warehouse fire in Yakutsk is an unmitigated environmental disaster.   (Yakutsk is Kuzmenko's home town btw.) 

I am not saying that Ukraine has not been forced to act.  It has been brutally invaded.  It's at war.  It's going to blow things up.  Greenhouse gasses will be released.  That's just one more thing in a long list of things that trouble me about this war and all others.

I also feel that regardless of the pollutants generated by Russian bases over time setting them on fire will greatly increase the net effect on the environment even if there is a time gap before another foul base is rebuilt in the same spot.   I see the military benefits, and the positive effect on Ukrainian morale, but environmentally it can't be good.

If we can get Putin et al to the Hague and punished for crimes against both humanity and the planet I will be very happy but the damage will not be undone.

War is all hell.  I am as saddened as anyone for what Ukraine has been forced to endure and wish them nothing but victory.   But I remain convinced that along with the obvious human tragedy of war it is also an unnatural disaster for our increasingly toxic and warming world. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Sam do you ever listen to 'Ukraine Matters'. I find it particularly good. Yesterday's piece went into some detail about the flow of supplies from the USA and the Euro allies. Ukraine is now receiving military supplies they ordered last year. The flow is steady. Thoughts are that American support will continue. 

Militarily thoughts are that both the Russians and AFU will hunker down for the winter and that there will be no offensives by either side. Since another Russian munitions plant caught fire there was a discussion on Russian military production capability. Thoughts were that manufacturing practices were not much different than how the Russian army was ran. No initiative. Not that long ago a Russian POW was complaining that their mortar shells had 60% of the powder they were supposed to have.   

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sam do you ever listen to 'Ukraine Matters'. I find it particularly good. Yesterday's piece went into some detail about the flow of supplies from the USA and the Euro allies. Ukraine is now receiving military supplies they ordered last year. The flow is steady. Thoughts are that American support will continue. 

Militarily thoughts are that both the Russians and AFU will hunker down for the winter and that there will be no offensives by either side. Since another Russian munitions plant caught fire there was a discussion on Russian military production capability. Thoughts were that manufacturing practices were not much different than how the Russian army was ran. No initiative. Not that long ago a Russian POW was complaining that their mortar shells had 60% of the powder they were supposed to have.   

I honestly think RuZ is doomed this Winter.

A lack of supplies has been a major issue for months , and with UKR getting the foothold onto the South West of the Dnipro , HIMARS should follow across for major gains,  as Guided by Drone Intel for a Maximum attack while Orcs sit freezing in holes with few supplies and rations.

Partisan work was astonishingly strong within RuZ this week,  manufacturing plants and rail lines were hit .

If there was going to be time to recapture Crimea ,   Now..  could be it .

I will check out  “UKraine Matters”,

thanks for that Bouds !

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

To add to a post :

Growing backlash against with the shameful decision to allow Russia's head propagandist Lavrov, to attend the #OSCE meeting in the North Macedonian capital Skopje. #Ukraine, #Estonia, #Latvia and #Lithuania now said their top diplomats wont take part. Incredibly, #Bulgaria said it would allow Lavrov's plane to fly through its territory. theguardian.com/world/live/202…

Hopefully the Bulgarians are planning on shooting that plane down.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully the Bulgarians are planning on shooting that plane down.

I think Lithuania and Poland should just take Kalingrad over this weekend. In hockey parlance aka Evander Kane " What are you going to do about it?" Dream up some border issue and just drive in. What is Putin going to do about it? He just pulled more air defense batteries over to Ukraine. The Japanese take one of their islands back, Kalingrad disappears, the resistance in Belarus get the nod to start shooting and the AFU break out of their bridgehead in Kherson. If Putty hasn't had his heart attack yet that should do the trick.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think Lithuania and Poland should just take Kalingrad over this weekend. In hockey parlance aka Evander Kane " What are you going to do about it?" Dream up some border issue and just drive in. What is Putin going to do about it? He just pulled more air defense batteries over to Ukraine. The Japanese take one of their islands back, Kalingrad disappears, the resistance in Belarus get the nod to start shooting and the AFU break out of their bridgehead in Kherson. If Putty hasn't had his heart attack yet that should do the trick.  

The problem is that no one wants that plane and the orcs infesting it.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Oh Hey !!

not sure of the truth to this ..

The French will claim to have sold anything to anyone. Trying to raise demand? I'm not educated on how safe these republics are for being anti-Putin. I don't believe these wealthy nations with burgeoning military capability to withstand any serious attack.

Next up submarines. 

• ThereItIs 1