The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

I was just reading some interesting stuff on drone tactics on the battlefield. Ukraine was mentioned quite a bit. Since the AFU are already using drones at a high level and since their domestic production of drones is escalating enormously I thought this a good spot.

The role of drones on the battlefield have expanded greatly since Feb 2022. Progression from dropping hand grenades on troops to sophisticated wide area surveillance with AI tech built on board. Ukraine uses drones stacked at various altitudes which direct lower 'swarming' drones to attack sites. Whether communicating to Hymars, conventional artillery, armored columns or to infantry the battlefield is losing the fog of war. 

AI is empowering drones to co-ordinate their own attacks without direct command. The scale of this is increasing steadily. Auto communication networking redirects drones to advantage on the battlefield. The pace of combat is increasing at machine speed. We are used to viewing kamikaze drone strikes with their effectiveness improving with better explosives. Instead of one munition there are drones with multiple bombs with larger payloads. 

Russian forces are also using better and better drones. According to the AFU they are not as good or as advanced but we don't know that.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The Stuipidity:

The roof is collapsing! Hurry to the gate!”

The videos coming from the now completely destroyed “Wildberries” warehouse in Sankt Petersburg show understandably absolute chaos among the workers. But what is mind boggling is that many workers claim that they got held up by security because of the fear of theft.

Reportedly 100,000 square meters (25 acres) have been burnt down.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I was just reading some interesting stuff on drone tactics on the battlefield. Ukraine was mentioned quite a bit. Since the AFU are already using drones at a high level and since their domestic production of drones is escalating enormously I thought this a good spot.

The role of drones on the battlefield have expanded greatly since Feb 2022. Progression from dropping hand grenades on troops to sophisticated wide area surveillance with AI tech built on board. Ukraine uses drones stacked at various altitudes which direct lower 'swarming' drones to attack sites. Whether communicating to Hymars, conventional artillery, armored columns or to infantry the battlefield is losing the fog of war. 

AI is empowering drones to co-ordinate their own attacks without direct command. The scale of this is increasing steadily. Auto communication networking redirects drones to advantage on the battlefield. The pace of combat is increasing at machine speed. We are used to viewing kamikaze drone strikes with their effectiveness improving with better explosives. Instead of one munition there are drones with multiple bombs with larger payloads. 

Russian forces are also using better and better drones. According to the AFU they are not as good or as advanced but we don't know that.  

Not much of an addition to your good post, but I remember spending a few weeks in Petawawa attached to a couple of teams working on best practices around defending from drones. I was working electronic warfare equipment on that one, but basically we were flying drones up of various 'types' and then shooting various things at them with the drones and their operators being 'red team'.  It was fun and expensive but we gained a LOT of data, this was post 9/11 but before 2006, i just can't recall what year now, too many concussions. 

Oh and speaking directly to your last two paragraphs: I watched an intriguing video last month some time describing some drone advances for Ukraine being simple ad hoc changes: instead of dropping four grenades and hoping one falls into the dugout to blow up Russians, they worked out that if you drop a jar of excellerant first, it will splash all over and into the dugout no matter if it was a direct hit or not..THEN drop the grenade kind of bomblet and the detonation will surely ignite the gas or what have you that was splashed everywhere first...so even a 'non-direct' hit will be a direct hit due to the fire that will engulf the dug out. Simple but evolutionary for the micro-events of simple drone bomblet attacks. 

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I have been pulling for this opening of a third "front" to work out for Ukraine, but it is incredibly hard without armour. That river, Dnipro, is like its own Maginot Line for Russia, but IF Ukraine can keep its two toe holds on the left bank and expand them literally with boots on the ground, eventually the armour will follow. I feel this area is the most critical site of the war for early 2024. We need more resources now. the US house republicans are not helping at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have been pulling for this opening of a third "front" to work out for Ukraine, but it is incredibly hard without armour. That river, Dnipro, is like its own Maginot Line for Russia, but IF Ukraine can keep its two toe holds on the left bank and expand them literally with boots on the ground, eventually the armour will follow. I feel this area is the most critical site of the war for early 2024. We need more resources now. the US house republicans are not helping at the moment. 

If these guys were lead by A10 “Warthogs”..

this would be an advancement of 2-5 km per day,.

these lads wouldnt be able to throw sunflower seeds onto those bodies fast enough!

F16’s would supply deep coverage over land and sea,.   Those Hogz would be tilling up the earth for next years harvest .

post today GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Off topic,.  But the sharing of Intel is crucial. between  the Western World of Free Democracy.

Putin / Natzis are integrated everywhere .

after the Wall came down,  rather than it be an olive branch from the west to live and share freely in good trade.

It became an opportunity for Putin to infiltrate countries with Agents to create unrest and disinformation to keep our freedoms , peace and harmony off balance .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If these guys were lead by A10 “Warthogs”..

this would be an advancement of 2-5 km per day,.

these lads wouldnt be able to throw sunflower seeds onto those bodies fast enough!

F16’s would supply deep coverage over land and sea,.   Those Hogz would be tilling up the earth for next years harvest .

post today GIF

Don't I know it! An american pilot in Afghanistan shot up a Canadian column with one of those nose guns on the warthog...a guy now working in the Feds Speaker Bureau still has pieces of rounds in him in spots they can't operate on, his vehicle travels with him to speaking engagements with dozens of rounds in it. yikes...wouldn't wanna be on the recieving end that is for sure. 

for instance: 

'

a snippet on the canadian incident here:

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — Investigators have determined that a Spangdahlem-based A-10 Thunderbolt pilot committed a “perceptual error” when he accidentally killed a Canadian soldier during a strafing run last September in Afghanistan.

Separate investigations by Canadian and American military officials determined the pilot on Sept. 4 mistook a garbage fire for the smoke and fire of a bomb previously dropped on target.

The pilot, whose name has not been released, unloaded 180 rounds of 30 mm high-explosive bullets at the 1st Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment company 20 miles west of Kandahar. Pvt. Mark Anthony Graham, a former Olympic athlete, was killed and 30 other Canadian soldiers were wounded.

Edit: actually here is some footage of an actual incident from the A10's point of view. They shot up the Blues and Royals, UK's household cavalry...a unit that literally had a prince in the theater with them, although I don't think at that moment in time. I thought I had the Canadian incident but nope, this was US cowboys shooting up UK cavalry. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1