The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, JIAHN said:

It is my opinion that lone wolfs could be used to take out Russian infrastructure........power plants, control stations, train stations, airports......

I suspect that every time we see incursions into Bryansk, Kursk or Bolgorod Oblasts it is a noisy cover operation while more subtle units, your lone wolves, move into Russia proper. A good fifth column has been important in pretty much every war in this era. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As an aside, in terms of the largest air forces in the world (military), the individual US branches by themselves take up 4 of the top ten ranks:

1. United States Air Force - 5,217
  2. United States Army Aviation - 4,409
  3. Russian Air Force - 3,863
  4. United States Navy - 2,464
  5. People's Liberation Army Air Force (China) - 1,991
  6. Indian Air Force - 1,715
  7. United States Marine Corps - 1,157
  8. Egyptian Air Force - 1,062
  9. Korean People's Army Air Force (North Korea) - 946
  10. South Korean Air Force - 898

Source:  https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/largest-air-forces-in-the-world

just a note, the cia cites china as having 2200 combat aircraft right now, up from the 2020 numbers quoted here..and are in the midst of a massive renewal project that will it grow by hundreds a year through 2035 with an aim of being a top world air power by mid century. 

13 hours ago, Muscatel Marauder said:

7 hours ago - 46°11′N 36°8′E

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: Ukrainian Air Forces destroyed A-50 AEW&C aircraft and Il-22 command post aircraft

how freaking awesome is this!! Taking out the Electronic Warfare plane alone is a major victory, the Il-22 flying Ops center is just a massive bonus win. 

hehehe, our Ukrainian Pilot friend says "I guess it has been converted to the very expensive submarine" while talking about the AWACS jet. 

• Cheers 3

"We're fighting for indoor toilets instead of outhouses!!"

But honestly, this is why anyone who pulls out Culture war bullshit immediately makes me raise an eyebrow. How much of it was baked in a Moscow disinformation tank?

https://meduza.io/en/news/2024/01/14/st-petersburg-governor-says-russian-soldiers-who-have-seen-gender-neutral-bathrooms-in-ukraine-understand-what-they-are-fighting-for

image.png

Just now, 5forFighting said:

How does the Ukraine war end? I don't think it is with weapons and bombs, but phone calls and negotiations. Time to stop the money laundering, start imposing more sanctions on Russia and get everyone to the table to discuss a solution. 

Game misconduct.. sanctions won’t make Russia stop.  It’s been said to Nauseam.  This war will end when those prices of S&$T go back to their own country and leave the beautiful people of Ukraine to live their lives as a free society, anything less is just asinine!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

How does the Ukraine war end? I don't think it is with weapons and bombs, but phone calls and negotiations. Time to stop the money laundering, start imposing more sanctions on Russia and get everyone to the table to discuss a solution. 

It's political and literal suicide for Putin to negotiate without holding his gains. And Ukraine should not concede any land unless they want to repeat this invasion a decade from now. Putin is also using the war time conditions to strengthen his regime. A lot of authoritarian policies are easier to pass when under the guise of 'emergency wartime powers'. So keeping it going may have some advantages for him as far as restructuring Russia comes into play.

Think we're nearing a frozen conflict at this rate unless the West ramps up their weapons shipments.

Some ways I think it ends.

a.) Russian political victory (military is no longer possible) - hold off long enough  for right wing reactionist governments to be elected in EU and USA and force Ukraine to grant concessions in exchange for peace whilst preserving the Crimean land bridge for Russia.

b.) Ukrainian victory through economic collapse in Russia that translates either to a military collapse or a political coup. The sanctions and the rate of loss in Ukraine is too much for Russia to bear and they lose the war by being unable to maintain the logistics.  Or a political collapse where the Russian army or elites say enough is enough.

c.) A more hot north/south Korea situation where Ukraine just spends the next decade in those regions waging asymetrical warfare until Putin dies and Russia can have the choice to withdraw or double down but have the ability to save face by blaming it all on Putin. This unfortunately is probably the preferred route of some western strategists. Bleed Russia dry slowly at the cost of Ukrainian lives.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

You've already had some responses I agree with.   I just want to know how money laundering fits in to all this.

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You've already had some responses I agree with.   I just want to know how money laundering fits in to all this.

That was the reason I upgraded his 5 minutes to a game l!  Money laundering?  Really? Ugh

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The negotiations can start once Putin's regime is exterminated and Russia is denazified.  Why would you advocate for negotiating with subhuman vermin?

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not really a surprise the power grid & similar infrastructure is not under as much pressure this year. 

Thats a win?

in this weather ?!   Oh yes .. 

The infrastructure in RuZ will be a mess for years after this Winter..   

Ukraine will have the assets , supplies and assistance to build a brand new country..

RuZ will be pushed back 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ukraine will have the assets , supplies and assistance to build a brand new country..

As they rightly should my friend.. they deserve the fate of the barbarians they are!

Edited by Rook
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

There at about 1946 right now. Losing 50 years will put them back into the Bolshevik era. Sounds about right. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rook said:

Game misconduct.. sanctions won’t make Russia stop.  It’s been said to Nauseam.  This war will end when those prices of S&$T go back to their own country and leave the beautiful people of Ukraine to live their lives as a free society, anything less is just asinine!

Ukraine is made up of a LOT of Russian people, which ones leave? 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The negotiations can start once Putin's regime is exterminated and Russia is denazified.  Why would you advocate for negotiating with subhuman vermin?

Strange, every government in existence still negotiates with them. There are some sanctions, but deals are still getting made with them and Canada, USA etc. 

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

The untraced taxpayer money being sent by all these countries to Ukraine which is then in turn being used to fund lavish gifts for those in charge. Remember, Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries on the planet. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Your government and its citizens are still dealing with Russia, you know that right?

And I very strongly oppose that.  The only communication with Russia that's worthwhile is blowing up their military.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And I very strongly oppose that.  The only communication with Russia that's worthwhile is blowing up their military.

I don't think you can blow up their military without seriously harming innocent Russian citizens. 

PS: Canada could not blow up anyone's military. 

Edited by 5forFighting

25 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The people in Crimea are mostly Russians and they support Russia, are they 'orcs'?

I'd suggest you do a bit of research into how all those Russians got there and who helped them arrive.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1