2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, BlockerHigh said:

Thanks for your views,

Good to hear about Woo in particular. We really need him to get back to the guy we drafted (from those who watched him in abby last year, it appears he was getting there). If he can be one of those guys who develops from within beyond just a 'depth guy' it's a huge win given he brings alot of what we lack. He kind of seems like a young Schenn who's a better skater, or a young Bieka without as much offense. Either way. a hard nosed RD who can skate would be great! I am really pulling for him!

On a side note, thank you for not calling them things like "Millsy, Meysey, Garly, etc etc, as if you play with them. I find that terribly annoying on these sites LOL

Woo-zy 😁

I'm rooting for this kid. Would be a perfect steady, physical, drama-free 5/6 RHD we've been looking for since forever. I'm hoping a few of these young guys can make Myzey expendable sometime THIS season.

Woold help sell a crapload of jerseys for Aqua.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

im not sure how to embed the tweet on phone, but with pc open the tweet and then copy the link, then just paste it in the comments and it will auto load

How underwhelming. For two guys who don’t have a guaranteed spot on the team it’s sad they didn’t drop the gloves. Bunch of pansy’s

What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

I agree with some, and disagree with others.

I feel Hogs and Pods didn't impress much.  Pods didn't really impress himself on the game/ camp like he can and has in the past.  Hogs was fast and seemed to be everywhere, but again didn't seem to use the people around him. Always seems to be a 1 man show.

Boeser, looking fast and strong on the boards. I am thinking we will see a good year from him.

Hughes and Miller, the clear leaders out there.

Patterson looked disinterested, maybe just pacing himself. The guys can flip a switch when needed.

Lots of choice for the bottom 6.

Defence, only really 1 choice to make...who plays the 6 role.  I think Irwin is the 7th D.

DeSmith looked solid, should provide a stable back up presence.

Really liked Tocchets practices. Very purposeful, and demanded pace in all things.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:42 PM, MeanSeanBean said:

For real? That's awesome. Call me old fashioned, but I think it's the right thing to do. I met a couple Canucks, in particular I remember Linden, when I was young and it was such a huge moment for me. I've been fortunate enough to meet Linden a few times, and he's always been so kind. Like it or not, these guys are idolized by kids and a half minute can become a core memory.

Linden is the real deal, very kind and down to earth, always has time for everyone, same with Kirk Mclean.

Edited by Captain Kirk
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Garland was borderline top 6 production 5 on 5 last year. and I believe he was the year before. The fact no one wanted to trade for him unless it was a cap dump really surprised me. Perhaps it was teams playing hardball. But I would have expected teams with cap and a need for some decent 2 way vets would have loved him, particularly given his ability to play anywhere in the top 9. The fact Chicago or Anaheim didn't offer something of value is odd. I think many teams will regret not taking him for a very low cost last year, as I also think he is a pretty good player and will have a solid year.

Almost top 6 5 on 5, playing 3rd line minutes and barely any PP is impressive.

I've always felt Garland is underrated. I think he was being shopped so much was due to him having the most value out of our wingers, but the flat cap meant there were no takers, and those who could likely tried to squeeze us to give him away with a sweetener. Glad he's still with us.

6 minutes ago, Knucklhd said:

I agree with some, and disagree with others.

I feel Hogs and Pods didn't impress much.  Pods didn't really impress himself on the game/ camp like he can and has in the past.  Hogs was fast and seemed to be everywhere, but again didn't seem to use the people around him. Always seems to be a 1 man show.

Boeser, looking fast and strong on the boards. I am thinking we will see a good year from him.

Hughes and Miller, the clear leaders out there.

Patterson looked disinterested, maybe just pacing himself. The guys can flip a switch when needed.

Lots of choice for the bottom 6.

Defence, only really 1 choice to make...who plays the 6 role.  I think Irwin is the 7th D.

DeSmith looked solid, should provide a stable back up presence.

Really liked Tocchets practices. Very purposeful, and demanded pace in all things.

I love that Tocc is running his camp like this this year. It's about learning right away the things we need to to start strong and win games. It's essentially a bunch of hard and focused practices rather than a camp.

Tomorrow will be very interesting to see who plays, as I've also been wondering if Tocc is going to give role players the most looks like the last few years, or is he going to have more of our top guys play more games in the pre-season to start building chemistry early and allow even more time to practice the new structure while we have the time to do so. We won't have much practice time in the early road trip, so I'm hoping to see more of a regular lineup with a few impressers mixed in, such as Woo and Studs, rather than a lineup of Miller and then a bunch of Abbotsford guys. Obviously, it's only the first pre-season game, but a win would sure be a nice boost to morale than yet another loss. 

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, and our thin skinned owner, decides to close down our message board.

Real effective strategy.

Directive didn't come from Aquilini, about 95% sure of where it came from, but the fact it happened, doesn't really matter at this point. If we can establish here and define our relationship with the Canucks, we might be better off in the long run.

I've said it before, this is the team's loss.

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Linden is the real deal, very kind and down to earth, always has time for everyone, same with Kirk Mclean.

Yeah, it's for real. I've talked to Trevor a few times and he always makes you feel welcome. Awesome person. 

Edit: Same with Steamer. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, SISMIM said:

I read that Studnicka had added 10 lbs of muscle and that he was training for pretty much the entire off-season, right from locker clean-out day through to this current training camp.

He apparently stuck around Vancouver for a bit and trained with some teammates, and then he moved over to Michigan for the summer to train at the USNTDP facilities, alongside Quinn Hughes and other notables.

I hadn’t heard that he’d scored tops on the training camp fitness testing, but that would be a great result. If he’s both been able to add 10 lbs of muscle (which has been reported in some recent articles), and also improved his fitness, that would be a really impressive off-season of training.

One of the quotes I read said that Studnicka felt he was quicker and more explosive now, after the hard work he’d put in over the summer. If that’s true, and he’s also gotten significantly bigger and stronger, he could prove to be a much improved overall player, and one with a real shot at grabbing an NHL lineup spot.

This is the kind of player I wanted to see paired up with Joshua.

He's listed at 6'1" 187lbs. Has that been updated this year yet? Is he pushing 200 now?

Joshua's 6'3" 206. 

I wanna see a smash n grab line!  (maybe not the grab) 

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

After the third day of training camp, there was some talk that a goalie had an allergic reaction. Tocchet feared one of our goalies might not be able to join the scrimmage today due to a peanut allergy reaction but wasn't sure what was causing the reaction.

Demko, on the bench, said to Tocchet, "Coach, that's nuts."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

After the third day of training camp, there was some talk that a goalie had an allergic reaction. Tocchet feared one of our goalies might not be able to join the scrimmage today due to a peanut allergy reaction but wasn't sure what was causing the reaction.

Demko, on the bench, said to Tocchet, "Coach, that's nuts."

You need your own section on the site. Dr. Crossbar’s Comedy Corner. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Brisebois. There has been a lot of discussion about most of the guys on the bubble, but Brisebois has been under the radar.

However, he has been paired with Myers all three days on what looks like the projected third pairing, at least for the early pre-season games.

He appears to have the inside track for the 3LD slot.

Many people (including me) thought that Wolanin was favored for this spot. There has also been a lot of talk about Hirose, and Irwin seemed like a good candidate for 7th D.

Comparing Brisebois and Wolanin, last year Briser played 36 games for Abby and picked up only 6 points. His +/- was a respectable +8. But Wolanin picked up 55 pts in 49 games and was +12, and he was named the top D-man in the NHL. At the NHL level Briser has 3 pts in 17 games and was -2. Wolanin had 3 pts in 16 games and was +5.

But the coaches seem to be favoring Brisebois at this stage.  I guess the coaches are willing to let Myers be the puck carrier on the 3rd pairing and have Briser as a pure defensive D-man. I thought it might be better to let Wolanin be the puck carrier and get Myers to play a very defensive game and avoid giving up too much defensively.  But obviously the Canucks have excellent defensive coaches so I am hoping for the best. 

Of course, things could change. And if Tocchet does decide to go with 3 right shots on the right side, then Hughes, Cole and Soucy would handle the left side. Apparently Soucy has not looked great when partnered with Hughes. He might do better as a third pairing LD.

At this point, it would not surprise me to see Brisebois make the 23 man roster, but it would also not surprise me to see Juulsen play with Hughes, which would probably push Briser down to Abby. 

Edited by JamesB

15 hours ago, SISMIM said:

I read that Studnicka had added 10 lbs of muscle and that he was training for pretty much the entire off-season, right from locker clean-out day through to this current training camp.

He apparently stuck around Vancouver for a bit and trained with some teammates, and then he moved over to Michigan for the summer to train at the USNTDP facilities, alongside Quinn Hughes and other notables.

I hadn’t heard that he’d scored tops on the training camp fitness testing, but that would be a great result. If he’s both been able to add 10 lbs of muscle (which has been reported in some recent articles), and also improved his fitness, that would be a really impressive off-season of training.

One of the quotes I read said that Studnicka felt he was quicker and more explosive now, after the hard work he’d put in over the summer. If that’s true, and he’s also gotten significantly bigger and stronger, he could prove to be a much improved overall player, and one with a real shot at grabbing an NHL lineup spot.

Looking like I wrongfully wrote him off to some extent. Sounds like he’s earning himself a spot really interesting camp we have here