2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

14 hours ago, The Duke said:

I always find Drance more palatable on radio or TV than in his writing.  when he writes he needs to do a call back to criticize the team’s cap structure and prospect pool every two paragraphs - but in person he seems to just focus on the present.

I can’t stand him. I don’t listen to Canucks talk at all anymore.

the only thing about him that I have liked is his support in boeser over the years.

his negativity and attitude overall is too much to listen to regularly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If we consider defense locks as: Hughes, Soucy, Cole, Hronek and Myers, there’s just 6/7/8 left over.

Irwin - nearly a full time player last year in Washington; local guy; veteran. Probably sticks around as 7/8.

The challenge for the other two spots is there a lot of guys who are waiver eligible. 
-Wolanin

-Brisebois

-Juulsen

-Woo

-Rathbone

Three of them (not accounting for what happens with Hirose or McWard) will be waived.

Both Wolanin and Rathbone lean offensive on a team looking to be stronger and more physical this year, and with Hughes and Hronek ready for PP duty.

Woo, Rathbone and Brisebois are all “younger” - I don’t know if any of them slip through waivers.

I wonder if the Canucks keep Brisebois and Woo around, hoping that Wolanin and Juulsen clear waivers. 

Maybe they try to recoup a pick from a team (4th or 5th) for Rathbone, because he’s not going to get a shot at the team with Hughes already lining up as 1LHD

Edited by Canadian
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

I can’t stand him. I don’t listen to Canucks talk at all anymore.

the only thing about him that I have liked is his support in boeser over the years.

his negativity and attitude overall is too much to listen to regularly. 

I will credit Drance for having some moment’s of insightful hockey knowledge here and there. But also, he seems to have been “gifted” genetically in terms of being annoying. The fact that he is a staple of SN650 says a lot about the state of that station, along with its reliance on Toronto based programming.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HIWATT said:

This is the kind of player I wanted to see paired up with Joshua.

He's listed at 6'1" 187lbs. Has that been updated this year yet? Is he pushing 200 now?

Joshua's 6'3" 206. 

I wanna see a smash n grab line!  (maybe not the grab) 

Those are definitely old measurements (6’1”, 187lbs). The most recent I’ve seen for Studnicka were from Providence (AHL) where he was 6’2”, 194lbs. So he’s probably over 200lbs now, if he’s added 10 lbs of muscle over the past off-season.

Edited by SISMIM

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I will credit Drance for having some moment’s of insightful hockey knowledge here and there. But also, he seems to have been “gifted” genetically in terms of being annoying. The fact that he is a staple of SN650 says a lot about the state of that station, along with its reliance on Toronto based programming.

Ya he’s a big time know it all. And he’s very close minded into his team view.

he doesn’t consider all variables especially on the human / management side of the organization. 

i do like that he’s passionate and I do like that he is a die hard Canuck fan.

but I don’t like how he spreads negativity unnecessarily and a little over the top to the point he really impacts other fans views. Because he does have an audience.

but for my own mental health and happiness I do not listen to his channel at all anymore. He drives me crazy.

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

My initial impressions of Studnicka in his time so far here was that he’s been far from studly….but if he has found another level I’ve got time for him to show it and contribute to the team. But I’ll admit I’d pretty much dismissed him as a big factor heading into this year.

Think all of us did

Just now, vanisleryan said:

Boeser looks faster, hope he has a good season! You can see the difference in his skating, can tell he put in the work.

If his hand is healed and he can control the puck and shoot like he could before, if his conditioning strength and skating are all improved and he’s truly motivated to be that guy…

this will be the year finally !

I just don’t know even if he has a solid year 30/30 or better. If we can trust that he can stay healthy year in and year out and build off it or stay consistent.

but pulling for him we need him to have a big year!

Sunday was a fun one. A lot of practices with the big names early on, then with the lesser knowns for the second big segment.

Lots of 3-on-3 with the big names, and the nets were moved in closer, continuous action for a long time, with Henrik Sedin sending out these amazing passes in one of team's ends. Kuzmenko continued to charm out there. He is such a character. 

Great to see Mikheyev out there in his red no-contact jersey in the final group of players. He seemed tentative at first, then got much more into it.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG