2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

17 minutes ago, Mic Tyson said:

Trying to catch up. Any roster cuts yet?

I would assume everyone in the last practice group will be cut very soon, guys like:

• Wouters
  • Alriksson
  • Kudryavtsev 
  • Schmiemann
  • Brzustewicz
  • Martin
  • Young
  • Gatcomb 
  • Kannok-Leipert
  • Plasek 
  • Nychuk 
  • Walker

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Loose but without taking a foot off the gas. There was a 3 on 3 shortened ice mini game scrimmage that was exciting even though it amounted to organized shinny hockey. I think it was added to give a little work towards strictly O zone play seeing as most of the drills have been a 50/50 concentration of both O and D responsibilities. It was great to have reference between how the vets see the ice and utilize a common understanding or experience of play to create opportunities to set up, whereas the youngsters and Abby crew are still learning their reads at the pro coaching level. Obviously the vets are helped by having previous experience playing alongside each other.

Colliton handled the practices and the dynamic was a little different than what Tocchet demands. Last day of camp, still high level but with an opportunity for the NHL squad to practice their preferred style of play.

I was a bit bagged so didn’t focus on anyone in particular during the morning session. Just wanted to enjoy some pro level shinny hockey.  

One thing I noticed about the afternoon - Marc Gatcomb was possessed and was playing the body with pep. Aggressive style player who impressed me a bit with his attitude. Solid character payer for Abby.

Cheers my friend

• Cheers 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:42 PM, Roberts said:

PARENTS: Please tell your kids to NOT throw stuff at the players for autographs. Quinn Hughes was taking his time to sign autographs for a HUGE crowd by the bench (I was STUFFED in the crowd against the railing) and at one point kids got so desperate that they began to start throwing their hats and jerseys at Hughes from above, in quick session. He just threw his sharpie down hard and left. Keep in mind they were all screaming "HUGHES" "HUGHES CAN YOU SIGN THIS?" "HUGHES CAN I HAVE YOUR STICK?" "HUGHES!" which is fine, but it was definitely overwhelming once objects started raining down. I was lucky to get a signature before he left, but I bet more people would have if kids just waited their turn.

A kid threw a jersey on Pettersson's head today while he was signing autographs for everyone, so he just tossed it aside and didn't sign it. He didn't give it back either, a security guard had to go get it back for the kid later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RWJC said:

Loose but without taking a foot off the gas. There was a 3 on 3 shortened ice mini game scrimmage that was exciting even though it amounted to organized shinny hockey. I think it was added to give a little work towards strictly O zone play seeing as most of the drills have been a 50/50 concentration of both O and D responsibilities. It was great to have reference between how the vets see the ice and utilize a common understanding or experience of play to create opportunities to set up, whereas the youngsters and Abby crew are still learning their reads at the pro coaching level. Obviously the vets are helped by having previous experience playing alongside each other.

Colliton handled the practices and the dynamic was a little different than what Tocchet demands. Last day of camp, still high level but with an opportunity for the NHL squad to practice their preferred style of play.

I was a bit bagged so didn’t focus on anyone in particular during the morning session. Just wanted to enjoy some pro level shinny hockey.  

One thing I noticed about the afternoon - Marc Gatcomb was possessed and was playing the body with pep. Aggressive style player who impressed me a bit with his attitude. Solid character payer for Abby.

Re: gatcomb

could have used him in Calgary last night.  That kannok- leipert guy as well.  We brought the AHL crew without the tough guys.

• Cheers 4

20 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

ian mac surely takes a stroll down these threads

I am sure most if not all those who report on the Canucks in the media do. They get interesting takes here, a bit of litmus test of a "portion" of the fan base, and I've seen some take ideas from here (which is kind of sad).... lol

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

It takes awhile to unplug him from the old CDC machinery I gather

"Daisy, daisy, what will your ....answer.................be"

s3dP8n2Wvjj827ybDNtcbm.jpg

Turns out Vintage was just a sophisticated AI combing the internet for Canucks related tweets and Canucks goals scored all along.

IF <Canucks Score Goal> THEN <post redlight.gif>

Edited by JoGuitar
  • Haha 4

On 9/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, Gawdzukes said:

That would be in 5v5 play wouldn't it? I don't think it matters for the PP if they're trying to set up Hronek for the big one timer.

I wasn't sure if he was referring to just 5v5. but yeah, you may be right. 

• Cheers 1