2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

On 9/24/2023 at 6:07 PM, Roberts said:

A kid threw a jersey on Pettersson's head today while he was signing autographs for everyone, so he just tossed it aside and didn't sign it. He didn't give it back either, a security guard had to go get it back for the kid later.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They gotta be biding their time until they can make a trade for a D right?

No way the plan is to go with Juulsen or McWard on the top pair is it?

Lol weren't you the guy telling me Juulsen was the perfect replacement for schenn and that he would do fine with hughes, like 2 days ago. Hmm at least you came to your senses. 

• Haha 1

From the video clip going around Twitter, Mikheyev definitely didn’t look “day-to-day” and even “week-to-week” sounded optimistic.

Talk about “skating gingerly.” 😬

But looking at the longer video JPat just put up at The Hockey News, Mik looks a lot better and maybe day-to-day/week-to-week sounds about right. He at least looks like an NHL hockey player in the clip here:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/news/ilya-mikheyev-skates-with-canucks-main-group-for-first-time

Much more encouraging.

That Twitter one, though, he looked to have the range of motion in his legs of a shuffling 90-year old, which had me just a little worried. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I think the Hughes - McWard pairing has some potential, they both can skate with the puck and CM is different from the past partners Quinn had because he is also a scoring threat.

Someone with a goo shot might be just what QH needs to make yet another jump skill wise. He's so good out there but his shot is not quite there yet. Having a partner with one could translate into a lot of goals and keep the opposition honest.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is Di Giuseppe the new Chaput/Megna? I still see him as a top end AHL forward--weird to see him slotted into the top 6 with a healthy roster.

Tocchet loves him and feels he can rely on him. PDG hasn’t shown to be a poor option either, but sure wish we could be upgrading on these types of players through the season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is Di Giuseppe the new Chaput/Megna? I still see him as a top end AHL forward--weird to see him slotted into the top 6 with a healthy roster.

I think there should be an automatic one day ban from the forums for mentioning either of those names..............uggggg.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

From the video clip going around Twitter, Mikheyev definitely didn’t look “day-to-day” and even “week-to-week” sounded optimistic.

Talk about “skating gingerly.” 😬

But looking at the longer video JPat just put up at The Hockey News, Mik looks a lot better and maybe day-to-day/week-to-week sounds about right. He at least looks like an NHL hockey player in the clip here:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/news/ilya-mikheyev-skates-with-canucks-main-group-for-first-time

Much more encouraging.

That Twitter one, though, he looked to have the range of motion in his legs of a shuffling 90-year old, which had me just a little worried. 

Doesn't look game ready to me. I'd say keep rehab for another month. Rather err on the side of caution.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Someone with a goo shot might be just what QH needs to make yet another jump skill wise. He's so good out there but his shot is not quite there yet. Having a partner with one could translate into a lot of goals and keep the opposition honest.

Yes they won’t be too focused on Quinn knowing that his partner has a wicked shot.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Tocchet loves him and feels he can rely on him. PDG hasn’t shown to be a poor option either, but sure wish we could be upgrading on these types of players through the season. 

He's fine in that he doesn't majorly hold back Boeser and Miller, but I don't see him reasonably contributing in a huge way. I'd much rather see Hoglander there, but maybe that'll happen when Mikheyev gets back.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They gotta be biding their time until they can make a trade for a D right?

No way the plan is to go with Juulsen or McWard on the top pair is it?

I really hope we just deal with having a LD on the right side in either Soucy or Cole. Both have shown they can do it in the past and there's almost no way that Juulsen/Woo/McWard will be better than legit NHL options on the top pairing, even off-handed ones.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Funny how much things can change in just a few days.

Not too long ago, Joshua was getting praised for the intensity he was bringing to practices, his devotion to the fans in attendance, and a strong showing on one of the better performing lines at the Saturday scrimmage.

https://x.com/victoriacougars/status/1705981587685589350?s=46&t=JVbWvP5E43fEu_1WVchM7Q

Now, he’s drawing comparisons to infamous Fischtown Pinguin, Jake Virtanen. 😬

Hopefully Joshua can turn things around over the remainder of this camp/preseason.

i cant believe i had the opportunity to rebrand my account during the forum migration to fischtownpinguin and i didnt take it

smh what am i even doing with my life

• Haha 3

Think Joshuas probably out and Podz might start in the AHL. PDG interchangeable part for Mikheyev until Mikheyev is healthy (helps that PDG can kill penalties like mikheyev too)

Hoglander-Petey-Kuzmenko

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Studnicka

Would be really nice to have Aman there on the fourth line too as an extra center

9 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

i cant believe i had the opportunity to rebrand my account during the forum migration to fischtownpinguin and i didnt take it

smh what am i even doing with my life

I don’t really follow the German leagues too much so I had to check that was even a real hockey team. Fischtown Pinguins has gotta be one of the best names ever. Seems like it was taken straight out of a Simpsons episode or something. 🤣

Edited by SISMIM
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't look game ready to me. I'd say keep rehab for another month. Rather err on the side of caution.

Oh yeah, for sure he’s not game ready. Just based on the first video I saw, I had some doubts he’d be ready at all this season (or possibly ever). The second (longer) video, at least I could see him returning within a matter of a few weeks. 

• Like 1