2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yup exactly, we have a couple 3rd liners making 4/5 million but unfortunately I don't think they can provide the same utility as Vegas' third line. It's inefficient and why a guy like PDG ends up on the second. I guess you just never know what they'll go with though. The mix is not good though ... no.

It’s like Bisonette observed…our bottom six needs to form an identity. I’m optimistic about having two new centers in the bottom six, and will keep an open mind to what Suter can get out of Garland and Beau (for example), vs. A player like Dries last year. 

Blueger also looks sharp so far, from what I’ve seen.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup exactly, we have a couple 3rd liners making 4/5 million but unfortunately I don't think they can provide the same utility as Vegas' third line. It's inefficient and why a guy like PDG ends up on the second. I guess you just never know what they'll go with though. The mix is not good though ... no.

I think Rutherford addressed this a bit in his interview a few days ago. We need everything to go right, and we will be ok, but if a few things go wrong the wheels might really fall off. Our mix is meh, maybe not enough high end talent, but sometimes those well balanced teams figure it out and make it work.  Only time will tell, but I agree, a slightly better mix would be better lol

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

It’s like Bisonette observed…our bottom six needs to form an identity. I’m optimistic about having two new centers in the bottom six, and will keep an open mind to what Suter can get out of Garland and Beau (for example), vs. A player like Dries last year. 

Blueger also looks sharp so far, from what I’ve seen.  

Yes good viewpoint. Hopefully those two centers can provide a framework of being tough to play against with some timely goal scoring, and strong penalty killing. It could work. That 3rd line is a big question mark as of now. It will be interesting to see them if indeed it is Garland and Suter plus someone.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

So what do you suggest happens Grasshopper? You seem to have it all figured out and have such a sparkling outlook on life. Please enlighten us... 

wait and see before proclaiming the seasons going to be a success just because we signed a few guys and saw a coaching bump last year in final stretches of games where we were out of it with no more pressure and our roster became healthier. 

wait and see. It’s simple. It’s nonsense to take excitement for a new season to mean it’s going to translate into anything meaningful. 

As I said in my previous posts on this, there’s enough reason to be skeptics and some reasons to be optimistic. Even though I’m skeptical doesn’t mean I don’t want to be proved wrong and see the team actually deliver on the hopes of a better outcome this year. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

I think Rutherford addressed this a bit in his interview a few days ago. We need everything to go right, and we will be ok, but if a few things go wrong the wheels might really fall off. Our mix is meh, maybe not enough high end talent, but sometimes those well balanced teams figure it out and make it work.  Only time will tell, but I agree, a slightly better mix would be better lol

yep…all of this.

Still hoping for a heavy checking winger (or 2) for our bottom 6. Maybe in a trade for a skilled winger, or waivers?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Truefan99 said:

wait and see before proclaiming the seasons going to be a success just because we signed a few guys and saw a coaching bump last year in final stretches of games where we were out of it with no more pressure and our roster became healthier. 

wait and see. It’s simple. It’s nonsense to take excitement for a new season to mean it’s going to translate into anything meaningful. 

As I said in my previous posts on this, there’s enough reason to be skeptics and some reasons to be optimistic. Even though I’m skeptical doesn’t mean I don’t want to be proved wrong and see the team actually deliver on the hopes of a better outcome this year. 

Fair enough. 

I personally don't have any major/unrealistic expectations, but I always want our team to do well, and Bettman forbid, win the Cup. 

Let's hope so. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Truefan99 said:

appreciate your take, and think most of us here are sceptical.

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

No question in my mind, he means it too. 

With all the scandals following controversial coaches like Babcock and Constantine, it makes me appreciate genuinely good guys like Boudreau even more. I hope he gets another kick at the can with a better team.

• ThereItIs 3

11 hours ago, Truefan99 said:

Why does it feel like another losing season is upon us. Maybe it’s the decade long mediocrity that’s got me skeptical

This is the point in the season where you should be optimistic. Let the hockey Gods ruin all our hopes and dreams on opening night like they do every year, don't do it to yourself.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Wait and see before proclaiming the season going to be a disaster because we lost first preseason game and whatever other subjective personal opinion you might have. See, it works both ways.

Have you been able to find out anything about Zlodeyev's situation? 

I really hope that he makes the Abby roster and doesn't have to go back to Russia. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Dr.BRR said:

Never considered this, but honestly not a bad idea- use him as the measuring stick for effort/tenacity. Maybe teach Joshua a few things.

Well, and for a skilled player who has more “talent” than PDG it’s an important lesson. If you can’t outwork him and be more effective, given you are much more skilled, clearly you aren’t trying to be the pro you need to be.