2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

There may well be a team that could use Jack. It's never quite worked for him on the big team, Hell, he even struggles in the AHL, defensively.

Great skater and can take a hit and, at times, return the favor. He needs to get out on Vancouver all together. Start anew somewhere else..

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Everyone cleared

A little surprised, but I’ll admit that like most here I probably overvalue our prospects a tad. As a former big supporter of Rathbone, I’ll admit that now I was probably hoping more that Woo stuck around. Because if both Rathbone and Woo reach their potential, Woo provides more of what we need, even if Rathbone’s theoretical ceiling is higher with the offensive tools he has.

Wish Jack the very best and I hope he finds both his game and an organization where he can get another NHL opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

A little surprised, but I’ll admit that like most here I probably overvalue our prospects a tad. As a former big supporter of Rathbone, I’ll admit that now I was probably hoping more that Woo stuck around. Because if both Rathbone and Woo reach their potential, Woo provides more of what we need, even if Rathbone’s theoretical ceiling is higher with the offensive tools he has.

Wish Jack the very best and I hope he finds both his game and an organization where he can get another NHL opportunity.

I don’t think you’re guilty of any overvaluing per se. It’s just a difficult time for teams, especially as they’ve invested a chunk of camp/preseason already, in discerning what they have. It’s likely the most opportune time to move assets around the org and as such I think potential claims that might occur during season become solid precautionary moves in the now. 
Not saying Boner is a key piece yet by any means, but there are teams that also look at their depth pool at the AHL level and sometimes make claims simply to boost the overall quality of talent and competitiveness for their farm, with solely the farm in mind. Boner could already be one of those types.

Good to see he cleared. He can hopefully up his game and be a slight value add to any deal that might also give him a better chance with another org. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

uh oh

I seem to remember him getting banged up in one play against the Oilers… can’t quite remember it, but hopefully it’s just a Charlie horse or something and not too serious.

16 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I think they both get sent down for someone we pick up on waivers or in a trade.

But if not, I think Juulsen is the better choice to stay and play with Hughes right now.  As long as he can handle the defensive responsibilities.

I think you may be right... 

Hopefully Juulsen gets one more chance at redemption. McWard is an exciting prospect but could use half a year in Abby. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

On the top line.

Hogs an extra 

Then Miky comes back... Who's worth more Högs or Beau?  Somebody will have to go... Unless, Garland underperforms.   They have a bit of time to sort thus out though... Might be a blessing in disguise if Miky doesn't come back for the first 3-5 games.... Let management see what they have between our 3 little guys.  Or is this just wishful thinking?

It's a lot easier to make minor trades after a player has cleared waivers as teams look to upgrade their farm team.   Look for Seattle to inquire about Rathbone to replace their loss of Rafferty to Detroit in the summer.  He was a crucial element in the Firebirds puck-moving defense system 

15 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Woo had a terrific season in the AHL.

The only reason he even played wing briefly was because he was coming off a injury and the team was entering the playoffs short a winger. They didn’t want to upset the defensive pairings so used him on the wing. It had nothing to do with his play, he’ll be fine. 

I always have to chuckle at these suggestions where players just change positions as if it's no big deal. Well hey if "insert name" isn't making it as a defenceman why don't' we just make him a "50 goal winger" at the NHL level? It's kind of like, "well I noticed the hotdog guy doesn't make it to work al the time and when he does he always always forgets to add onions to people's order, maybe we should try him on Petey's wing. 🤔 :frantic:  😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

At this point and time it feels like he plays with no partner out there! I’m hoping McWard sticks and gets better with him. Juulsen seems so choppy out there. I’d love him to be Schenn 2.0 but I don’t see it yet.

It’s crazy we have this amazing once in a life time game changing defenseman like Hughes…and for his entire tenure we saddle him with AHL/journeymen NHL fodder (no disrespect to Schenn)…I can’t wait till we have someone who not only treads water but becomes a super pairing with him. It sure sounds like Willander will hopefully be that guy for Hughes…but by the time he’s ready Hughes will be in his late 20’s. Sure hope it’s not too late by then.

It's like the Sedin's all over again. Never did get them a top notch player to ride their wing. At least Burrows fit well and punched above his weight. They should be focusing on getting a partner for Hughes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to make a prediction that is going to piss off EVERYONE!

Myers will be extended before the deadline this year, 2 more years at 1.75 million per season.

Flame away!!!

breaking news GIF by NowThis

Well, I for one would not be pissed off.

We will have to wait and see but I believe that Myers with a better partner like maybe Soucy, more structure for team defense and less minutes in a third pairing role will perform better than he has in the past. Myers is a big guy that has good straight line speed and decent agility. His off-season home is in Kelowna, so he would probably be willing to give a bit of a discount. If he does get to Free Agency, I believe a number of teams will offer him a better deal than this one.

That AAV of 1.75 Million would also be very good for the team. I believe that it might take a little more to get him to sign. Soucy, who I think is a comparable player, a second/third pairing defenseman, will make 3.25 Million for the next three years.

The two year term also makes some sense. Myers is presently 33 with a February birth date. Two years will take him to 35 years of age. After 35 he will probably have to extend with one year contracts.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I always have to chuckle at these suggestions where players just change positions as if it's no big deal. Well hey if "insert name" isn't making it as a defenceman why don't' we just make him a "50 goal winger" at the NHL level? It's kind of like, "well I noticed the hotdog guy doesn't make it to work al the time and when he does he always always forgets to add onions to people's order, maybe we should try him on Petey's wing. 🤔 :frantic:  😁

That’s a ridiculous exaggeration from what was suggested. 

Woo’s been tried at wing before in Abby. I said I hope they revisit that as a last resort, IF he can’t put it together as an NHL defensemen. 

• Cheers 1