2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It sure sounds like Willander will hopefully be that guy for Hughes…but by the time he’s ready Hughes will be in his late 20’s.

That's more of a worst case scenario, imo

Hughes is 23. Do you expect Willander to finish a full four years at Boston University or something? Or just not develop into something until much later?

If he's as good as they're projecting, maybe he's ready to go next year or the year after next. That's what Hughes did in Michigan. 2 years. Huggy will be 25 if that's the case.  That's fine.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, DrJockitch said:

Surprised Irwin got sent down. 1 more D and Silovs all that is left to be cut. 

i think it was to save one of our d prospects from being claimed, it was pointed out earlier we would likely lose one of them if we didnt waive him

Just now, Dankmemes187 said:

i think it was to save one of our d prospects from being claimed, it was pointed out earlier we would likely lose one of them if we didnt waive him

Can you explain how that works? Irwin being waived protected a guy like Woo from getting claimed?  Alf is confused. 

2 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

so it show mcward and aman have been sent down... ill look for a twwet to confirm, but if capfriendly reports its usually pretty solid..

Vancouver Canucks Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Does the little green arrow mean sent down or waiver exempt? Looks like all our prospects have the little green arrows too. Alf is again confused 🫤 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does the little green arrow mean sent down or waiver exempt? Looks like all our prospects have the little green arrows too. Alf is again confused 🫤 

maybe im just being stoopid hehe... maybe the green arrow does mean that... Edit false alarm im just wrong on this one

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

so it show mcward and aman have been sent down... ill look for a twwet to confirm, but if capfriendly reports its usually pretty solid..

Vancouver Canucks Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edit: no tweets yet

i dont know what little green arrows mean

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

Edit: no tweets yet

That shows them as waiver exempt. Not sent down. If they were sent down, they wouldn’t show up on the list. 

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

That’s a ridiculous exaggeration from what was suggested. 

Woo’s been tried at wing before in Abby. I said I hope they revisit that as a last resort, IF he can’t put it together as an NHL defensemen. 

I know which is why I didn't tag your post. I meant more in general it reminded me of similar comments through the ages. I just find it kind of funny that if you can't make it at the position you trained at your whole life you can just switch to a completely different position like defence to forward and then make the NHL. It happens once in a blue moon but more so when a coach or somebody has reason to see a chance of success. That also happens before they start playing pro. I don't think I've ever seen it where a player doesn't make it so they give him once last chance at the exact opposite position and voila we have a new player, I think it's an absolute pipe dream. If he doesn't make it at defence he's not making it at forward or goalie.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

I guess we can take that off the table. Thanks man.

lol, sorry Hugs not trying to be a jerk I was just poking a little fun. No harm in trying I guess but he doesn't seem to be talented enough to just switch positions at this stage. I could see it if he was offensively skilled or fast but he's neither. Not sure what he'd have to offer at the NHL level if not at defence.

3 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Quinn being a threat to score will really open things up all around. His assists totals could become ridiculous. 

Maybe Hughes figured if he can't even get nominated for the Norris with the 69 assists he got last season then he might as well start scoring more.

Quinn is on a mission this year, he's going to act like a captain and win games for his team. Clutch performer. 

Last season - 7 goals

Next season - 23 goals and the Norris

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I know which is why I didn't tag your post. I meant more in general it reminded me of similar comments through the ages. I just find it kind of funny that if you can't make it at the position you trained at your whole life you can just switch to a completely different position like defence to forward and then make the NHL. It happens once in a blue moon but more so when a coach or somebody has reason to see a chance of success. That also happens before they start playing pro. I don't think I've ever seen it where a player doesn't make it so they give him once last chance at the exact opposite position and voila we have a new player, I think it's an absolute pipe dream. If he doesn't make it at defence he's not making it at forward or goalie.

I wish someone would tell Myers he is a defenceman. Or is this an example of positional opportunities. 

• Like 1