2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm actually curious why vancouver decided to schedule so few preseason games this year. most teams are in the 7-9 range and we'll finish with 6. while most of you don't give a f about preseason just like our management.. i find it extra important for our players to have a good preseason and carry over to regular season.. over the past 4-5 season we were awful in preseason and it carried over to the start of the season.. a lot of starters or even star players in the league are going to end up with 4 preseason games.. and playing together with their linemates for at least 3 of them to get the chemistry going early.. meanwhile our top players will maybe play 3 games together and spend 2 games or less with their actual linemates.. laine, macavoy trouba panarin nylander matthews marner reilly etc and the list is pretty big all will likely play in their final preason games so they'll all finish with 4+ game played.. we make excuse such as we don't want injury etc etc.. so other teams don't care about that?? no it's all about getting the rust off the players and get the season off to a flying start and not looking like they are still in preseason form.

not that i'm interested in watching them increase the amount of preseason games but continue to ice the ahlers and have the top guys barely play.. i just find this season especially it's important for the defence partner to get used to their partners early and often to know their tendency etc.. literally every defenceman is playing with a new partner this year.. so the lack of preason games for the vet is very disappointing.. and if we get off to another slow start.. i think we can look back at the preseason again.

more practice time, focus on teaching, keep guys fresher, less time wasted on auditioning guys for the bottom of the roster and the distant future. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

more practice time, focus on teaching, keep guys fresher, less time wasted on auditioning guys for the bottom of the roster and the distant future. 

Thats great but then I wish the starters played 4 out of the possible 6 games and used the first 2 to audition the bubble guys. I don't care if the other team dresses their ahl lineup. That would mean that the guys should actually be able to play as they were taught against easier opposition rather than scrambling to keep their heads above water in a diluted pre season game mixed with AHLers. 

9 minutes ago, tas said:

other teams seems fine playing their guys 4 games. we barely play our guy every single preseason.. sure worked in keeping them fresh.. they are so fresh they were in preseason form once the season starts.. they can treat a game like a real live exercise practice too.. really thats what preseason games are anyways.. practice and testing new strat in real live situation

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats great but then I wish the starters played 4 out of the possible 6 games and used the first 2 to audition the bubble guys. I don't care if the other team dresses their ahl lineup. That would mean that the guys should actually be able to play as they were taught against easier opposition rather than scrambling to keep their heads above water in a diluted pre season game mixed with AHLers. 

i think they should have scheduled 7-8 games and have vet play in half.. based on all the starts we had last couple seasons.. we really dont have benefit of the doubt to play less games than 75% of the league and take it chill.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

what's that saying about wishing in one hand and shitting in the other?

give tocchet the benefit of the doubt that he's a bonafide NHL coach who knows how to prioritize running an NHL preseason. 

trust. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

other teams seems fine playing their guys 4 games. we barely play our guy every single preseason.. sure worked in keeping them fresh.. they are so fresh they were in preseason form once the season starts.. they can treat a game like a real live exercise practice too.. really thats what preseason games are anyways.. practice and testing new strat in real live situation

i think they should have scheduled 7-8 games and have vet play in half.. based on all the starts we had last couple seasons.. we really dont have benefit of the doubt to play less games than 75% of the league and take it chill.

see my response to the other guy. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

what's that saying about wishing in one hand and shitting in the other?

give tocchet the benefit of the doubt that he's a bonafide NHL coach who knows how to prioritize running an NHL preseason. 

trust. 

I think hope is the more accurate word for me than trust. Trust has been waning for a while now. Unfair to RT as he's done a good job so far. More so that the past few presasons and beginning of regular season has been atrocious. BB was also a seasoned coach but the multiple years of bad starts has made trusting the team to come out of the gate strong very hard to do. 

• Like 1

I think so far we see the systems improving.  That being said has not been a reassuring preseason. 
Looking like we have flipped the script on last couple years and will be a defensive oriented team that struggles to score. 
‘The tests come early. Our October is brutal and we will either be in same spot as last couple years, out of it by November 1, or be hanging around 500 and feeling good as will have gotten through about the toughest part of our schedule with head only slightly below water. Anything better than that would be very surprising unless the goaltending is godly. 

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm actually curious why vancouver decided to schedule so few preseason games this year. most teams are in the 7-9 range and we'll finish with 6. while most of you don't give a f about preseason just like our management.. i find it extra important for our players to have a good preseason and carry over to regular season.. over the past 4-5 season we were awful in preseason and it carried over to the start of the season.. a lot of starters or even star players in the league are going to end up with 4 preseason games.. and playing together with their linemates for at least 3 of them to get the chemistry going early.. meanwhile our top players will maybe play 3 games together and spend 2 games or less with their actual linemates.. laine, macavoy trouba panarin nylander matthews marner reilly etc and the list is pretty big all will likely play in their final preason games so they'll all finish with 4+ game played.. we make excuse such as we don't want injury etc etc.. so other teams don't care about that?? no it's all about getting the rust off the players and get the season off to a flying start and not looking like they are still in preseason form.

not that i'm interested in watching them increase the amount of preseason games but continue to ice the ahlers and have the top guys barely play.. i just find this season especially it's important for the defence partner to get used to their partners early and often to know their tendency etc.. literally every defenceman is playing with a new partner this year.. so the lack of preason games for the vet is very disappointing.. and if we get off to another slow start.. i think we can look back at the preseason again.

I had thought all teams played the same amount of pre-season games. That the NHL would be involved in scheduling it all evenly.  Learn something new I guess. So the amount is decided on by individual teams.

Yeah, then it is curious why the Canucks would only schedule 6.  Down even from the last two years when they had 7.  Maybe its gun-shy after the bad luck with injuries.  Mikheyev, Boeser..

Its especially curious this season when we have so many new additions and young hopefuls. If you both need to see what you have now in the farm, and who could take the next step to help the big club, and you are revamping the D, among other positions. You need all the pre-season tune up you can get you'd think to do both of those jobs. More than other teams that had pretty well the same lineup as last season. 

So we again spent most of the games experimenting with prospects and hoping one or two grabbed the ring. Fine, but if you are going to spend 5 games at that, it would be nice to have 2 or 3 left to actually play some games with the roster you've decided on icing for the season. For all the reasons mentioned.  I don't get it. With all the talk of getting off to a great start, they are once again putting themselves behind the eight ball before the season even begins, where they don't have the running start that other teams will have.

If we, gawd help us, lose tonight's game badly. Then what? It will be 5 days of hand wringing from fans, and a bunch more of scrambling by management and coaches...only this time there will be no more avenues left to see if they finally got it right, or any time for that final lineup to get comfortable playing together.  Even if we win tonight, one game is not enough to get much traction.

Time for an oldly but goody;

:picard:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think so far we see the systems improving.  That being said has not been a reassuring preseason. 
Looking like we have flipped the script on last couple years and will be a defensive oriented team that struggles to score. 
‘The tests come early. Our October is brutal and we will either be in same spot as last couple years, out of it by November 1, or be hanging around 500 and feeling good as will have gotten through about the toughest part of our schedule with head only slightly below water. Anything better than that would be very surprising unless the goaltending is godly. 

That's a fair outlook. I would put money on Edmonton crushing us in back to backs. Our fans are underestimating what kind of a juggernaut they will be with Eckholm, Nurse, and Bouchard on the back end. 

If we are anywhere close to .500 at the end of October, I would take that and run. 

I am still hoping we can bring in some guys who can give this team some pushback.

I am sooooooooooooooooooo tired of being considered soft and easy to beat.

Knock some teeth out; hockey players aren't supposed to have their front teeth!

Take a few penalties, but make them count; no lazy shit or snitty reaction penalties; hit to hurt.

Fuck tiptoeing through the tulips.

Be the aggressor; first to deliver the pain; and let them get caught on the retaliation. 

C'mon JR, you know you want to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

I am still hoping we can bring in some guys who can give this team some pushback.

Take a few penalties, but make them count; no lazy shit or snitty reaction penalties; hit to hurt.

Be the aggressor; first to deliver the pain; and let them get caught on the retaliation. 

Bjork on waivers today...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

im pretty sure last years demise had little to do with pre-season. actually most of our woes are usually do to the intense starts and the amount of travel and games we play in the first half, blame the NHL for scheduling us in a way we are scrambling from the begining and the fact we live in the corner of the map.

too

if we get off to a good start, im going to blame pre-season too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

wasn't it last year that bruce tried to turn the team into something it wasn't? they came out with fire in their bellies, and were dropping the gloves with everyone, right up to the point of pearson, then bruce lost the room, and then the room lost itself, divided between JT and BO... Add demko starting hurt and getting Injured, sprinkle in hogs and podz uncanny ability to miss so far wide, you would think the net was one of those plastic jobs uou pick up for 30$ for your 4 year old... poor kids never had a chance last year 

so nucks,Mtl,canes,NYI,Caps,Nsh,hawks,Wild,seattle... are all playing 6... its not like we are some lone wolf here.

there is pro's and cons to each strategy. i think its a good idea we rest the guys, we are bout to go a wild ride in the first half. there is a reason tocchet said come into camp game ready and was because they were going to play less games,

im sure the practices instead of the games will be adequate replacements for getting the experience in the important things like special teams. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wasn't that an agreement with the players union they'd cut down on so many preseason games? They were concerned over injuries and the like.

I thought 7 or 8 was the norm?

7-8 is the norm we finish at 6 not sure that's a good thing for a team with a new partner for every defenceman and playing above their regular role.practice doesnt' really put you against real situation. even the cup champs vegas plays in more preseason game than us to tune up for the regular season.. and florida is playing in 8 preseason games so fatigue injury worries etc isn't really an excuse. consider they have the shortest off season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

so nucks,Mtl,canes,NYI,Caps,Nsh,hawks,Wild,seattle... are all playing 6... its not like we are some lone wolf here.

there is pro's and cons to each strategy. i think its a good idea we rest the guys, we are bout to go a wild ride in the first half. there is a reason tocchet said come into camp game ready and was because they were going to play less games,

im sure the practices instead of the games will be adequate replacements for getting the experience in the important things like special teams. 

4 playoff teams and 3 teams that's expected to likeoy compete for lottery.. the playoff teams have earn benefit of the doubts.. the lottery team well it's a lottery team.. we rest the guy every single year for preseason.. it's not like this is a new strategy they are testing out.. our vets play 2-3 games every preseason and every year they come out flat.. the forwards maybe dont need as much preseason game this year coz it's pretty much the same lines every year.. but the defence.. they need all the game time they can get to get comfortable with their partners.. you believe all 3 pairings will magically click in the regular season after just playing 1 or 2 games with their partner and spending most of their time practicing against non game situation/matchups etc?

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

4 playoff teams and 3 teams that's expected to likeoy compete for lottery.. the playoff teams have earn benefit of the doubts.. the lottery team well it's a lottery team.. we rest the guy every single year for preseason.. it's not like this is a new strategy they are testing out.. our vets play 2-3 games every preseason and every year they come out flat.. the forwards maybe dont need as much preseason game this year coz it's pretty much the same lines every year.. but the defence.. they need all the game time they can get to get comfortable with their partners.. you believe all 3 pairings will magically click in the regular season after just playing 1 or 2 games with their partner and spending most of their time practicing against non game situation/matchups etc?

its a long season 1 or 2 preseason games is a drop in the hat... you are really over reacting IMO

I would say Joshua did enough last game to start to change the coaches perception.

Apparently he’s been seeking out trainers and putting in the work behind the scenes. So at least he’s making an effort, even if it’s a bit late. More than some players have been willing to do in the past.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Truefan99 said:

#ingreenwetrust

I know this isn’t the right thread…but just thought I’d respond here since I seen your post…so i’ve got in shit twice now from my wife from staring at those “booty” gifs you’ve been posting…lol thanks a lot you bastard…had to pass it off like, geez babe this guy what a pig…I was just scrolling thru, not looking!

😇

• Haha 1