2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting that there are no split squad games this year. Lots of defensemen invited.

Things I'm most interested in:

How do Hoglander and Podkozlin look? Are they both good enough for an NHL job? If so, who do they bump to waivers/AHL?

How good does Bains look? I don't expect him to win a job, but I wonder if he can impress in camp as he did in the young stars tourney.

The battle for 3LD. Hirose vs Irwin vs Wolanin. Irwin probably gets 7D since he fits so well there, so it's most likely Hirose vs Wolanin. Rathbone and Woo have outside chances, but are unlikely to win the job.

Agreed. I feel like Hoglander is skating on pretty thin ice. He has to be more consistent and get better at finishing if he’s to stay with the big club. And he really needs to score one of those lacrosse-style goals in a game.

Just now, Slegr said:

Agreed. I feel like Hoglander is skating on pretty thin ice. He has to be more consistent and get better at finishing if he’s to stay with the big club. And he really needs to score one of those lacrosse-style goals in a game.

Yeah, it would be very frustrating to see him struggle after how much he dominated the AHL towards the latter half of last year.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- pinned this topic
20 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I think if Hogz is given solid time under Tocchet he'll surprise a lot of people.

For me the issue here is the same as we've seen since Vigneault.  The kids aren't getting playing time.  Petey and Hughes aside, they're just not.  Vets are burying their ice time and it's an endless march towards being benched and being left out of the mix in the press box.  We have to allow these kids to play and Hogz is no different.  I would have no issue seeing Hogz, Podz and a few others have a full non call up season in the AHL while we see some contracts expire to grow together.

But I'd hate to see them brought up just to be buried on the bench or only playing 7 minutes a game or less

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think if Hogz is given solid time under Tocchet he'll surprise a lot of people.

For me the issue here is the same as we've seen since Vigneault.  The kids aren't getting playing time.  Petey and Hughes aside, they're just not.  Vets are burying their ice time and it's an endless march towards being benched and being left out of the mix in the press box.  We have to allow these kids to play and Hogz is no different.  I would have no issue seeing Hogz, Podz and a few others have a full non call up season in the AHL while we see some contracts expire to grow together.

But I'd hate to see them brought up just to be buried on the bench or only playing 7 minutes a game or less

I 100% agree- I think the log jame of wingers makes it tough for Hogz too, however I really think he is ready for the next step. i don't want to see him only playing a few minutes a night though either. Some PP2 time would be awesome as well- confidence and creativity could excel!!

8 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

I 100% agree- I think the log jame of wingers makes it tough for Hogz too, however I really think he is ready for the next step. i don't want to see him only playing a few minutes a night though either. Some PP2 time would be awesome as well- confidence and creativity could excel!!

With Pearson gone, Mik maybe not ready that leaves big holes screaming for Hoglander and Podkolzin to step into. 
If Podz comes in hot he could be sitting on first line to start the year. Just such an intriguing package to put with EP if he is ready. 
Should be an interesting camp.

46 minutes ago, Slegr said:

the good thing about Hogz is that he doesn't need to be oin a top 6 role to be an effective player.  I'd love to see them develop him into a pk player

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting that there are no split squad games this year. Lots of defensemen invited.

Things I'm most interested in:

How do Hoglander and Podkozlin look? Are they both good enough for an NHL job? If so, who do they bump to waivers/AHL?

How good does Bains look? I don't expect him to win a job, but I wonder if he can impress in camp as he did in the young stars tourney.

The battle for 3LD. Hirose vs Irwin vs Wolanin. Irwin probably gets 7D since he fits so well there, so it's most likely Hirose vs Wolanin. Rathbone and Woo have outside chances, but are unlikely to win the job.

Yeah I feel the split squad thing doesn't help key players get going right off the bat

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Jim did a whole bunch more chatting then I expected.

Nothing about the press conference directly but it's nuts, even dumb that Aquillini hasn't managed to get a first class practice facility after all these years! 🤔

vancouver real estate is fairly complicated when you're talking big parcels of land. the problem is, there aren't any. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys on 650 are hinting that JR/Allvin said something juicy today. They haven’t said what is was though. So what was so good? 

45mins of the video. I'm only halfway through it.   Nothing juicy yet.  Media will try to spin whatever they can.