2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

57 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Only my opinion but here's my day 1 Good, Bad and the Ugly.

Good

Kuzmeko, Blueger, PDG, Studnicka, Sasson, Cole, Woo, McWard, Boeser, Podkolzin, Bainsz Wouter, Karlsson

Bad

Hoglander(he did have some good moments, just looked slightly off), Klimovich, Raty, Rathbone, Hirose

Ugly

Saw Brock being a stand up guy and signing some jerseys down by the Zamboni lane, the teammate he was standing with kept shaking his hand at fans and saying no and don't sign anything  

Overall top performer of the day, Boeser

Overall bottom, Rathbone

Only my opinion from watching up above.

Thanks for this MSB! 

What was Woo doing well?

Just now, Rusty Shackleford said:

How's 2nd group looking guys? 

Podz? Juulsen? Bains? Karlsson? Joshua? Johansson?

From my eye.

Pod looked good. Liked his speed, seemed to be reading the plays well. Just looked like he fit.

Juulsen got burned a couple times. Looked a little slow turning. Not terrible, just a little slow. Which I think he is. 

Bains looked awesome. So much jump in his step. Looked completely normal in lines with NHL players.

Karlsson looked good. Some decent board battles. More grit then I would have expected today.

Joshua looked fine, couple good defensive reads. Didn't stand out in my eye good or bad really. 

Johansson didn't really stand out to me at all, good or bad. 

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

He seem like not the type wanted to do that. But, again this is rare chances for the Vancouver Islanders get this opportunity. That’s a bit cold on JT to do that.

Some guys get into a zone before games or practice for that matter. If he does that all the time, different matter. Sometimes, players just don't want to break their mindset.

3 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Thanks for this MSB! 

What was Woo doing well?

I liked him defensively. There was several occasions he just seemed like he was in the right spot to stop a play. Strong in his skates and held his ground during rushes. Nothing fancy defensively, just right play right time. He also had one really good offensive play where he rung the puck of the bar. It was a beauty shot, had good weight behind it. Beat the goalie but got beat by the bar.

Again, nothing special, but I wouldn't have expected that from him. Just surprisingly solid and reliable in the drills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

From my eye.

Pod looked good. Liked his speed, seemed to be reading the plays well. Just looked like he fit.

Juulsen got burned a couple times. Looked a little slow turning. Not terrible, just a little slow. Which I think he is. 

Bains looked awesome. So much jump in his step. Looked completely normal in lines with NHL players.

Karlsson looked good. Some decent board battles. More grit then I would have expected today.

Joshua looked fine, couple good defensive reads. Didn't stand out in my eye good or bad really. 

Johansson didn't really stand out to me at all, good or bad. 

My limited opinion of Johansson, just based on what I've read is, he's at his best when he's not really sticking out, just doing his thing, solid and steady. Don't think he plays a real stand out type of game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

My limited opinion of Johansson, just based on what I've read is, he's at his best when he's not really sticking out, just doing his thing, solid and steady. Don't think he plays a real stand out type of game.

He also seemed to be at the other end of the ice from where I was sitting a lot. I just really didn't notice him so I didn't have the chance to form an opinion. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

I kind of find it embarrassing for the person requesting. particularly a grown man when he's asking a pro athlete who's younger than he is. 

creepy. 

edit: miikka kiprusoff once offered me his autograph, but I declined. this was after I thanked him for keeping the Vezina warm for lu. 

this close to the perfect mic drop, if only it wasn't for that rat bastard marty brodeur and his historic season. 

Edited by tas

23 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He has the ability, we saw it in the bubble. He just looked so slow last year. Based off my very limited viewings this year, he looks like he has gained another gear. His skating looked really good on day 1.

his conditioning looks improved.  

If his first few steps/explosiveness has improved as well I’ll dye my hair blonde

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

I kind of find it embarrassing for the person requesting. particularly a grown man when he's asking a pro athlete who's younger than he is. 

creepy. 

edit: miikka kiprusoff once offered me his autograph, but I declined. this was after I thanked him for keeping the Vezina warm for lu. 

this close to the perfect mic drop, if only it wasn't for that rat bastard marty brodeur and his historic season. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I liked him defensively. There was several occasions he just seemed like he was in the right spot to stop a play. Strong in his skates and held his ground during rushes. Nothing fancy defensively, just right play right time. He also had one really good offensive play where he rung the puck of the bar. It was a beauty shot, had good weight behind it. Beat the goalie but got beat by the bar.

Again, nothing special, but I wouldn't have expected that from him. Just surprisingly solid and reliable in the drills.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Woo has to play this way to (hopefully) get some NHL games on the 3rd pairing this season. We've been wanting a big, physical, defensively responsible RHD to be able to eat up the scraps as the 5/6 for gawd knows how long?

If some of these guys can show something, we might even be able to open the cage door and let the Giraffe wander off somewhere else this season and maybe get something back in return.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

From what I saw, Guys are in pretty good shape. In a few recent years, that hasn't been the case. Considering we really had a chance last year, but a rough schedule, and over use of best players (no choice), didn't happen.

Having a rough schedule is just a fact of life for a Vancouver team. Never forget though we've played in the finals before, and that was no fluke........

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

would have been late 2006/early 2007. deerfoot meadows best buy in calgary. luongo had yet to play a game for the team. 

edit: so I guess summer 2006 actually. 

Edited by tas

Just now, tas said:

would have been late 2006/early 2007. deerfoot meadows best buy in calgary. luongo had yet to play a game for the team. 

edit: so I guess summer 2006 actually. 

Kip, the notability shy personality and was described as a soften spoken man of few words randomly offered an autograph? If he randomly did offer a stranger an autograph (which seems weird for a shy person), and said person not only rejected him but then was rude to his face, that story doesn't shine a particular kind light.

Maybe it happened, just doesn't sound like an actual human interaction to me. But what do I know!

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Thanks - that sounds promising. Would love to see him audition with Hughes in preseason games

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

I'm happy that Zlodeyev got the invite to the main camp.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this kid broke KHL rules by coming to North America and is now without a league to go home to, or a contract. 

i have the feeling like last year the organization is kind of indifferent to him (remember the clip with Higgy?). I like his spirit and determination taking such a chance to be here. Hope it pays off in some way. 

Edited by Inkidu
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1