2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juulsen is just a younger Schenn it’s really not much difference. Let’s not forget Schenn was almost out of the league when we traded for him.

Just need someone that can play simple and get Hughes the puck.

That being said I don’t see why they don’t try Soucy and Cole together considering they played a whole season together in Minnesota.

I don’t agree that you can put Hughes and Hronek together. Why not? See what he can do with a legit top 4 partner.

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Irwin Myers

Schenn was quite a bit better than Juulsen's ever been, but who knows, Maybe Juulsen has it in him.

I'm not really sure I like Tocchet's adamance to have lefties with righties. Will seriously hamper our options on D.

• Cheers 1

Yesterday, I walked into the barn on Blanchard thinking I was late, around 9:30 AM, when to my surprise, there were a couple tendies on the ice, being scored on, in loosely alternating fashion by none other than Hank and Dank, the wonder twins!!

Great way for me to 'start' my hockey season with a live viewing of the Sedins helping coach our goalies. The full practice started a few minutes later and it was a pleasure to see. Taking today away from the rink but I will be there again tomorrow for the scrimmage for sure!

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Schenn was quite a bit better than Juulsen's ever been, but who knows, Maybe Juulsen has it in him.

I'm not really sure I like Tocchet's adamance to have lefties with righties. Will seriously hamper our options on D.

He prefers lefties with righties generally, but especially thinks Hughes needs a righty with him because it makes it quite a bit easier to swing Hughes the puck. This is obviously critical for that pairing.

6 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Love this opportunity for two guys that put their head down and nose to the grindstone all of last year: Bains and Karlsson. If one of them makes the big club, it would be just awesome to see and a great motivation for all the other Abby forwards that we have. 

From an athlete’s point of view, its nice to have a coaching staff basically say “here is where we see you in the NHL”. Even if the odds are stacked against them, it’s a good motivational/development strategy.  

Good on Tocchett and staff 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juulsen is just a younger Schenn it’s really not much difference. Let’s not forget Schenn was almost out of the league when we traded for him.

That being said I don’t see why they don’t try Soucy and Cole together considering they played a whole season together in Minnesota.

I don’t agree that you can put Hughes and Hronek together. Why not? See what he can do with a legit top 4 partner.

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Irwin Myers

I think the Hughes - Hronek combo HAS to be tried too. Could be one of the best pairs in the league

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Schenn was also quite a bit past his prime too.

Juulsen was a first rounder for a reason. Let’s see if he can figure it out.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Irwin Myers

We will see about that, one was proven nhler last year while the other was in the AHL. 

not every AHLer develops into a NHLer. Remains to be seen but it's definitely the weakest part of our D for now.

12 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Tocchet in that clip sort of showed his hand slightly by saying he "needs to be convinced to play a leftie with Huggy". Sounds like he prefers a righty with Hughes, and likely going to see a lot of guys tried out there.

Juulsen, Woo, Myers, Hronek, McWard, and Johansson all fighting for that spot currently.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Conscience said:

We will see about that, one was proven nhler last year while the other was in the AHL. 

not every AHLer develops into a NHLer. Remains to be seen but it's definitely the weakest part of our D for now.

Schenn would have been in the AHL too if he hadn’t found a fit with Hughes.

Lets face it Hughes can make most D men look good.

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Schenn was also quite a bit past his prime too.

Juulsen was a first rounder for a reason. Let’s see if he can figure it out.

Not to rub salt into the wound. But we did draft OJ. So being a first rounder doesn't mean you'll turn into a quality NHL player. It's just the likelihood you'll turn into an NHL is greater.

D pairings will likely end up like this

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole-McWard

Hronek looks built and has proven to be a top pairing defenceman. Myers can play his offensive game a bit more now with Soucy being a reliable stay at home defender.  Canucks need to start inserting at least one young defenceman into the mix and Ian Cole is a perfect veteran partner to help in developing a younger defenceman. 

I get the reasoning of having Juulsen there but the Canucks current defence already has what he brings. McWard has potential to be a top 4 defenceman and possesses some offensive ability. 

Edited by Bane