2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

57 minutes ago, Bane said:

Tocchet already said he likes left-right handed pairs for defence. 

ultimately it comes down like this:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole-X

I think McWard gets that spot if he does well in camp.

Personally, I'd separate Hughes and Hronek, other than maybe, the PP, or pressing for a tying goal. 

It seems like they both need a strong, stay-at-home, type of partner. 

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Bains would be one of my sleeper picks to make the team. We have a lot of depth at forward, but if the injury bug bites in camp, don't be surprised if he's still here Oct 11th.

Bisonette made a great point that our bottom 6 needs to establish an identity. With two upgraded, speedy 2-way centers, the winger selection will be key.

If Blueger -Beauvillier sticks, then we are going for the Vegas model of balanced lines, where the bottom six is likely skilled and fast.

Would love to see Bains win a spot over a veteran if he can help with that.

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hate to say it but he hasn’t looked great. Quite a bit of bobbling, a couple bad giveaways, and seems to be struggling a bit. Reactionary too, appears to be frustrated with himself at times. 

I've always liked rathbone, but the two AHL games I went to last year, one in abby against tucson and then in calgary a week or so later when abby visited, he might have been the worst player on the ice both games. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Breakaway/back check drill time. Very exciting. Boeser looking SHARP and FAST (?!?)

Boeser had a highlight reel goal against the Lightning some years back and I'll never forget how smoothly he was skating to make it happen. I know he has it in him to be a good skater.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Bisonette made a great point that our bottom 6 needs to establish an identity. With two upgraded, speedy 2-way centers, the winger selection will be key.

If Blueger -Beauvillier sticks, then we are going for the Vegas model of balanced lines, where the bottom six is likely skilled and fast.

Would love to see Bains win a spot over a veteran if he can help with that.

Our top 6 is pretty solid and you are bang on about bottom 6 establishing identity. The more Bains can push veteran players, the better. He's on a nice cap friendly contract.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I've always liked rathbone, but the two AHL games I went to last year, one in abby against calgary and then in calgary a week or so later when abby visited, he might have been the worst player on the ice both games. 

He needs a change of scenery with a club where he might have a direct line. He’s buried now here. I’d be deflated and lacking confidence a bit too by now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I've always liked rathbone, but the two AHL games I went to last year, one in abby against calgary and then in calgary a week or so later when abby visited, he might have been the worst player on the ice both games. 

I went to eight Abby games last year and although I would say it would be an overstatement to say he was the worst player, he was certainly less impressive than I would've wanted. He seems to have regressed after his hot start years ago.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I went to eight Abby games last year and although I would say it would be an overstatement to say he was the worst player, he was certainly less impressive than I would've wanted. He seems to have regressed after his hot start years ago.

Was really hoping to see some puck handling skills or wheels from him today but overall he wasn’t noticeable except that he couldn’t convert on opportunities both on O and D

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Lewlowned said:

Interesting to see if Juulsen and Hughes can build their chemistry.

He'd be a nice, cost-controlled partner until some of our other D develop into it.

Cool for McWard to get a chance with Soucy! He looked solid in the prospect games

Hirose with Johansson points to him probably starting the year in Abby, much like McDonough

Good call.

In the press conference with JR and Allvin, Tocchet said that he likes have D's play their natural side and he specifically mentioned McWard.

And we saw last year that Juulsen did well with Hughes.

There is some chance that the Canucks go with 3 right shots at RD with Hronek, Myers and either McWard or Juulsen. Then Soucy and Cole can both play their natural side.

I am not saying this is likely, but there is some chance if McWard and/or Juulsen show well in camp and in pre-season.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Only my opinion but here's my day 1 Good, Bad and the Ugly.

Good

Kuzmeko, Blueger, PDG, Studnicka, Sasson, Cole, Woo, McWard, Boeser, Podkolzin, Bainsz Wouter, Karlsson

Bad

Hoglander(he did have some good moments, just looked slightly off), Klimovich, Raty, Rathbone, Hirose

Ugly

Saw Brock being a stand up guy and signing some jerseys down by the Zamboni lane, the teammate he was standing with kept shaking his hand at fans and saying no and don't sign anything  

Overall top performer of the day, Boeser

Overall bottom, Rathbone

Only my opinion from watching up above.

Think Someone said that was JT Miller turning down autographs 

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

On the face of it, that seems like a bit of a jerk move. I'd like to hear his rationale. I could totally see not wanting to sign autographs in the middle of a playoff series or something where you're so focused on winning that you don't want any distractions at all, but first day of pre-season? Give the fans a little love. I hope this doesn't become a story.

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I can't confirm or deny that alligation, don't want to be labeled a hater lol. In all fairness, it's totally fine for players to turn down opportunities to interact with fans, but I personally just didn't think it was cool. Particularly since Brock was there going out of his way to make the day of a couple kids standing right next to the 'man in the camo hat'.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Only my opinion but here's my day 1 Good, Bad and the Ugly.

Good

Kuzmeko, Blueger, PDG, Studnicka, Sasson, Cole, Woo, McWard, Boeser, Podkolzin, Bainsz Wouter, Karlsson

Bad

Hoglander(he did have some good moments, just looked slightly off), Klimovich, Raty, Rathbone, Hirose

Ugly

Saw Brock being a stand up guy and signing some jerseys down by the Zamboni lane, the teammate he was standing with kept shaking his hand at fans and saying no and don't sign anything  

Overall top performer of the day, Boeser

Overall bottom, Rathbone

Only my opinion from watching up above.

While I would’ve liked Hirose to come out guns blazing, we have a decent number of 6/7 LD that can play that role this season while Hirose develops in the A.

Similar feeling toward Klimovich.

Rathbone unfortunately seems like he may need a scenery change. His size and skills are just not what we need on D right now.

Raty I was hoping would have a good start, a little disappointed he hasn’t looked better. Looked great in the prospects game.

Still early and there’s lots of days left

Beyond stoked to have hockey back!

GCG baby

• Cheers 1