2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

11 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

On the face of it, that seems like a bit of a jerk move. I'd like to hear his rationale. I could totally see not wanting to sign autographs in the middle of a playoff series or something where you're so focused on winning that you don't want any distractions at all, but first day of pre-season? Give the fans a little love. I hope this doesn't become a story.

He seem like not the type wanted to do that. But, again this is rare chances for the Vancouver Islanders get this opportunity. That’s a bit cold on JT to do that.

Just now, Crimson JH said:

He seem like not the type wanted to do that. But, again this is rare chances for the Vancouver Islanders get this opportunity. That’s a bit cold on JT to do that.

Particularly since there has been so much talk recently in regards to if he should have been captain or not. Like I said before, it's no players obligation to interact with fans. But those type of little interactions mean the world to fans, particularly if your a little kid.

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

First day of training camp. Fans on a fan forum engage in discussion about training camp. How dare they.

I think it's been pretty positive in here overall! I don't mind honest observations of players that look like they may be behind the curve. The JT Miler thing is hopefully nothing, but if he really did opt out of signing autographs, I think it's worth asking why. Kids come to these events super excited to get up close with their heroes and it feels like bad PR to ignore them. People notice these things.

Just now, Strawbone said:

I think it's been pretty positive in here overall! I don't mind honest observations of players that look like they may be behind the curve. The JT Miler thing is hopefully nothing, but if he really did opt out of signing autographs, I think it's worth asking why. Kids come to these events super excited to get up close with their heroes and it feels like bad PR to ignore them. People notice these things.

I think it's been very positive reading through it. Saying Hoglander bobbled some pucks, Rathbone looks behind, and some players aren't eager to sign for fans isn't gossip or being negative. It's just observations. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, RWJC said:

Maybe JTM was in a rush to leave. No sense in overblowing anything 

Definitely no need to overblown anything, I think it was a completely reasonable response. But to clarify... the man with beautiful hair, and the man with the camo hat were standing down in the Zamboni lane watching group 1. Some fans got their attention and the hair walked over and started signing. The man in the camo hat stood away, and when fans tried to get his attention, he held up his hands and said no. They both continued to watch the game for a few minutes until the man with the hair signed some things. They stood for a bit longer and talked, then walked down the hall.

Allegedly.

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Definitely no need to overblown anything, I think it was a completely reasonable response. But to clarify... the man with beautiful hair, and the man with the camo hat were standing down in the Zamboni lane watching group 1. Some fans got their attention and the hair walked over and started signing. The man in the camo hat stood away, and when fans tried to get his attention, he held up his hands and said no. They both continued to watch the game for a few minutes until the man with the hair signed some things. They stood for a bit longer and talked, then walked down the hall.

Allegedly.

I didn’t mean you at all.
I just mean in general for anyone looking to sensationalize something without being privy to insight/details. 

• Cheers 1

Back in like 2015 or 2016 Canucks had a practice before training camp at Britannia ice rink. I was near the area so I stopped by and I remember seeing Chris Higgins walking out the dressing room and completely told off the fans who were waiting downstairs for autographs. He shook his head in disgust and went on the ice. I thought it was extremely rude. There’s politely declining, and then there’s being a dickhead

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good call.

In the press conference with JR and Allvin, Tocchet said that he likes have D's play their natural side and he specifically mentioned McWard.

And we saw last year that Juulsen did well with Hughes.

There is some chance that the Canucks go with 3 right shots at RD with Hronek, Myers and either McWard or Juulsen. Then Soucy and Cole can both play their natural side.

I am not saying this is likely, but there is some chance if McWard and/or Juulsen show well in camp and in pre-season.

I could absolutely see that happening. Either because we gave Huggy a complimentary partner like Juulsen, or because McWard earns a spot.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Back in like 2015 or 2016 Canucks had a practice before training camp at Britannia ice rink. I was near the area so I stopped by and I remember seeing Chris Higgins walking out the dressing room and completely told off the fans who were waiting downstairs for autographs. He shook his head in disgust and went on the ice. I thought it was extremely rude. There’s politely declining, and then there’s being a dickhead

guy's there to do his job, let him be. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Allegedly.

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

I don’t mind Miller snubbing fans, even if a little lame, as long as he’s engaged with the team. Like cheering on Hirose when he sniped

I wish Miller was the type of guy to want to engage with young fans

But he’s not, and that’s fine. He’s focused on the game

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Boeser is such a champ. I can't stop lovin' that guy. Really hope he suceeds this year.

Me too. He's my favorite players, so I have a difficult time being unbiased. But he's shown flashes of being such a dynamic player. At one point he had a top tier wrist shot, and in the bubble year he was out best forward and was an absolute beast along the boards and with his 2 way play.

Guys been through so much in his career. If he can pull everything together I still think he has top line potential.

He's just such a good dude, on top of it all. I understand the on ice criticism, but how could you cheer against the guy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, A_G said:

Will be good to see Boeser in game action. I want to see how much jump he has defensively.

He has the ability, we saw it in the bubble. He just looked so slow last year. Based off my very limited viewings this year, he looks like he has gained another gear. His skating looked really good on day 1.