2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

13 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Kip, the notability shy personality and was described as a soften spoken man of few words randomly offered an autograph? If he randomly did offer a stranger an autograph (which seems weird for a shy person), and said person not only rejected him but then was rude to his face, that story doesn't shine a particular kind light.

Maybe it happened, just doesn't sound like an actual human interaction to me. But what do I know!

I never claimed it was random. somebody else was getting one and I was with that person. my remark was offered as a jest, and he laughed. I had already congratulated him on the trophy win. 

edit: exact wording, I believe, was "congratulations on the Vezina. thanks for keeping it warm for Roberto."

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Odd. said:

Guys also a public figure. Like I said there’s a different between politely declining and then telling off the fans who pay his salary

as someone who has to deal with the public 40+ hours a week, I understand completely where he's coming from. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

I never claimed it was random. somebody else was getting one and I was with that person. my remark was offered as a jest, and he laughed. I had already congratulated him on the trophy win. 

I see, not quite the "mic drop" I initially interpreted from your first post. I remember hearing Kip was one of the good guys in the league.

2 hours ago, tas said:

if I was famous I wouldn't sign a single autograph for anyone over the age of about 12. 

Right?

These guys with a stack of photos that they wanna try and sell. Kids only. Oh...and Deb (I don't bug people for autographs but JT did sign my jersey. He's the best)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Inkidu said:

i have the feeling like last year the organization is kind of indifferent to him (remember the clip with Higgy?). I like his spirit and determination taking such a chance to be here. Hope it pays off in some way. 

He's in everyone's face every scrum.

This is admirable in this old duffer's opinion.

If he really is in limbo, lets find a spot for him.

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Are people talking sh about Miller already?

My God, I'm gone for 9 hours and the place goes all to hell.

Leave Miller alone (he signed for me in the past).

I was there the whole day and obviously posted a bit. I mentioned JTM once or twice seeming like he was intense/serious and “in the zone”. Wouldn’t be surprised if that mentality was set in stone pre-camp, in session and also carrying over afterwards on downtime.

Nothing to see here in terms of concern. Dude is on it and is the exactly the version of JTM we need this year. Tocchet’s got his ear and focus.

No offense to anyone with children who went to see camp today and hoped to meet players/get autographs, but this is not a social event for them. This is business right now and they’ve mostly all showed up early to be in post camp condition at pre-camp.

I’m sure there will be time for autographs over the next couple days, but just try and keep perspective. This is a big season for this team and requires a professional’s focus and dedication. That’s what I saw today…a different vibe from previous camps. Shit is serious now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Rush said:

Hog doesn't look all that great so far. Losing battles, not balanced on his feet.

Have to remember, they haven't faced contact in months.  Doesn't take them long to dial the protection mode in.  Just like most guys coming back "just need to feel the contact"

Thanks all for the updates from those of you who were there.  I appreciate it, as a Canucks fan in Edmonton. (I was born in Surrey, so no badmouthing me for being in Edmonton......hell don't bad mouth me for being born in Surrey, I didn't choose to be born there!)

• Cheers 1