2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Just now, Frozen Water Walker said:

Good points, I wonder if Tocc wants to save the Hughes Hronek option as the first unit power play.

I honestly think Hughes and Hronek could be lethal on PP1. Not seen too often anymore, but I think the two D system should be experimented with more again, especially when you have a passer-shooter combo like Hughes and Hronek. Get Hughes on the right side so Hronek can wire the one-timers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

they explained it all ad nauseum at the time. just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean there's a different one out there. 

Boudreau said at the end of the previous season that he could play with more structure. The transition to offence was better than Green but the transition back to defence is where the issues have been for a while. Tocchet seems to be addressing these issues and Foote and Gonchar-pull bring a wealth of experience in that regard.

I think that Boudreau was a good coach but he was an even better person. I think that's why it was blown way out of proportion by the media. Any mid season firing usually follows a pattern. First the coach gets a warning shot across the bow. If the results don't follow, then a new coach has to be considered before the actual firing. Some teams temporarily replace the coach with the assistant coach. I don't think that was an option for us so we approached Tocchet et al. The media are the ones that got a hold of the info and rubbed it in Boudreau's face.   

Edited by RWMc1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Hughes and Hronek are both PMD's, and each player can carry a pairing, that's why it's unlikely you'll see them as a regular pairing.

If the Canucks are down a goal,late in the game. I could se RT utilizing them as a pairing.

Hronek is more than a puck mover. His play in his own zone is apparently quite good

We also need a pairing that can shut things down in a tight game.

Cole and Soucy were a pair on one of the better defensive teams in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Can you confirm if a 3rd round pick is involved?

No but I did hear Raymond and Ballard mentioned. Sounds like a package deal on its way in/out. 

edit…something now about Babcock coming on in an advisory position 

Higgins just joined the group.

Everybody scrolling Sportsnet app, hah

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I honestly think Hughes and Hronek could be lethal on PP1. Not seen too often anymore, but I think the two D system should be experimented with more again, especially when you have a passer-shooter combo like Hughes and Hronek. Get Hughes on the right side so Hronek can wire the one-timers.

I think Tocchet said he wasn’t a fan of Hughes playing his off side. But the Hughes Hronek pairing could work. Hughes is a natural lefty while Hronek is a natural righty. 

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That is what I really want to see, add those elite forwards to the group and they should have a top tier PP

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Would allow Hughes to roam around like he tends to do with more freedom. Outside of Miller, Petey and Kuzmenko. Not many forwards I'd rather have on the 1st unit PP than Hronek. It's unconventional nowadays. But I think Hronek and Hughes on the 1st unit does sound good. Only real issue is do you move Petey or Miller down to Bo's old spot. Petey on the right side for one tees is too good to pass up. Miller also likes to handle the puck on the left board. One of them would have to adjust how they play.

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No but I did hear Raymond and Ballard mentioned. Sounds like a package deal on its way in/out. 

edit…something now about Babcock coming on in an advisory position 

Higgins just joined the group.

Everybody scrolling Sportsnet app, hah

Where does future considerations fit into the picture?

3 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

That is what I really want to see, add those elite forwards to the group and they should have a top tier PP

Absolutely! We cannot be wasting PPs as much as last year. Gotta get that PP goals mark way up. Arguably, our three best forwards; Pettersson Miller and Kumenko

have got to get up as close to the 30 goals for every 60 times. Preferably even higher. 🤩

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Would allow Hughes to roam around like he tends to do with more freedom. Outside of Miller, Petey and Kuzmenko. Not many forwards I'd rather have on the 1st unit PP than Hronek. It's unconventional nowadays. But I think Hronek and Hughes on the 1st unit does sound good. Only real issue is do you move Petey or Miller down to Bo's old spot. Petey on the right side for one tees is too good to pass up. Miller also likes to handle the puck on the left board. One of them would have to adjust how they play.

Kuz can perfectly fill Bo's void IMO. Not quite as strong, but his finish is incredible. Keep Milsy on the left wall, Petey on the right, and have Kuzmenko tipping or causing trouble in the slot. Hronek on the left side with bombs and Hughes on the right side setting everyone up. Feels perfect.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Tocchet said he wasn’t a fan of Hughes playing his off side. But the Hughes Hronek pairing could work. Hughes is a natural lefty while Hronek is a natural righty. 

True, but I think an exception could be made for the PP. Playing on your off-wing is great for finding good shots, which is nice for offense. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Kuz can perfectly fill Bo's void IMO. Not quite as strong, but his finish is incredible. Keep Milsy on the left wall, Petey on the right, and have Kuzmenko tipping or causing trouble in the slot. Hronek on the left side with bombs and Hughes on the right side setting everyone up. Feels perfect.

That still has Miller and Hronek occupying the same space. Unless you're moving Miller down to the left board goal line where Kuzy currently hangs out looking for tap ins. But that removes a lot of Miller's passing options that he has higher up in the ozone.

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

That still has Miller and Hronek occupying the same space. Unless you're moving Miller down to the left board goal line where Kuzy currently hangs out looking for tap ins. But that removes a lot of Miller's passing options that he has higher up in the ozone.

I'm thinking Miller is more down low or at the face-off dot, whereas Hronek is closer to the blue line. Miller would have the option of feeding Kuzmenko or going back up to Hronek or, if he has a great lane, a saucer to Petey across the ice. He could also easily move behind the net to change the options up and get different options to Petey and Kuzmenko.