2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

5 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

I can't see McDonough beating out Joshua. Joshua had a good season, then blossomed under Tocchet. They want and expect him to take an even bigger step this year. He may even push for third line duty. McDonough still needs to work on his skating and is better suited for a top 6/9 role as he's got hands. He's not a gritty, banger...like Joshua.

I also don't see Juulsen being out #2 D. If he is, god help us. they didn't bring in Cole to have him play behind Noah Juulsen dude...The latter is at best a depth dman. They also won't be sitting Myers. As much as people hate him, similarly, Juulsen is not a better dman.

It will be

Hughes/Cole

Soucy Hronek

Irwin (or Hirose/Brisboise )/ Myers

Hughes Soucy

Cole Hronek

Wolanin Myers

Irwin Brisbois

So far it's been Soucy with Hughes and Cole with Hronek. I think Wolanin has a good chance at #6. He's the frontrunner from last year.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just caught Drance in the concourse. 
If @Ribs or site admin wants to send him info/link to the site, he will tweet an acknowledgement to CFF (and the resurrection of CDC). He’s aware of the Patrick Johnson article and what’s occurred. 

Resurrection of CDC?

Pardon my ignorance but what’s going on now? I thought CDC was to shut down and we had a new CFF to develop and enjoy. 

21 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Can confirm RWJC did have a lengthy conversation with PA. I was lurking in the area (Guy in the D. Sedin jersey) and went to chat with himself myself before the first practice ended 😁

Haha nice to kind of meet ya!

Just now, RWJC said:

Apologies, what I mean is CDC basically resurrected as CFF

Phewww. You had me going. That place coming back would be like an ex girlfriend  you really loved showing up at your door a week after you found a new girl that’s pretty fine and has unlimited possibilities to discover. 

I wouldn’t go back now. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hughes Soucy

Cole Hronek

Wolanin Myers

Irwin Brisbois

So far it's been Soucy with Hughes and Cole with Hronek. I think Wolanin has a good chance at #6. He's the frontrunner from last year.

Yeah as of right now Wolanin is my choice for the #6 Dman as well. AHL dman of the year last year should be able to make the jump. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I knew I forgot someone

Beau…

log Jam for sure

This just in, the Canucks might need to move a winger or two 😜

27 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I'm very curious about the pairing of Garland and Suter.  I don't feel like Garland's since being here, had a consistent partner or roll for that matter.  He's a quality player that's been miscast here so far.  I really think those to could really compliment each other.  Hope they get a few games together to see if they find some chemistry.  Could be a very productive and pain in the butt 3rd line.

Especially with Hoglander on LW....That's a small line gentlemen.

president-of-hockey-operations-brian-bur

• Haha 1

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Hirose is growing on me lately, I wonder if myers is moved.....does that trickle down to a roster or 7th D spot for Akito?

I've beeh high on Hirose for a while, but after realizing he is waiver inelligible, I have a feeling he might be cut in favour of a guy like Wolanin, who we could lose on waivers. Hirose has too much potential to use as a #7D IMO. He needs to be playing, so I think he'll either impress enough to be our #6 or he'll be on the top pairing in Abbotsford.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Hirose is growing on me lately, I wonder if myers is moved.....does that trickle down to a roster or 7th D spot for Akito?

One is a RD the other a LD, and I doubt they want Akito just hanging out in the 7 spot instead of playing. Matt Irwin seems like a perfect vet #7 dman. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

would be like an ex girlfriend  you really loved showing up at your door a week after you found a new girl that’s pretty fine and has unlimited possibilities to discover. 

You mean a decade long ex gf that broke your heart, threw you out of the house unexpectedly for no good reason. I'd tell her to gtfo.

Well...

I might sleep with her first, BUT THEN I'd tell her to GTFO. 

Edited by Canuckle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've beeh high on Hirose for a while, but after realizing he is waiver inelligible, I have a feeling he might be cut in favour of a guy like Wolanin, who we could lose on waivers. Hirose has too much potential to use as a #7D IMO. He needs to be playing, so I think he'll either impress enough to be our #6 or he'll be on the top pairing in Abbotsford.

call up guy for sure, if he can slip through without waivers all year. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

One is a RD the other a LD, and I doubt they want Akito just hanging out in the 7 spot instead of playing. Matt Irwin seems like a perfect vet #7 dman. 

Agreed, what i meant though was the 'jenga' shuffle if we move Myers out, would that trickle down to an opening at 6 or 7?

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Agreed, what i meant though was the 'jenga' shuffle if we move Myers out, would that trickle down to an opening at 6 or 7?

Yeah, if somehow Myers is moved, I'd bet Irwin sticks as the #7 and another younger guy takes the #7. Perhaps Woo or Juulsen.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Well, been a fan since I was a kid.

My two closest “uncles” when I was young were Larry Ashley and Ron Delorme. I’ve been really close to the team and seen how well supported it’s been. 

seeing CDC end is one thing, but that’s just a sign of the times. What bothers me is how the fans are basically being abandoned in the process. For you and me to come here and post, source news, vent, takes a lot of work from people behind the scenes and that should at least be recognized.

as well, with the limited success this club has achieved over the years, the fanbase never abandoned them and likely never would. 

as such, I think that should be addressed even simply as a courtesy.

Fair enough and appreciate the response 

end of the day the Canucks care about the fans buying tickets, jerseys and their sponsors who advertise. 

social media sites while helpful don’t make a real difference for them, not to mention will it impact people here buying tickets? I would highly doubt shutting down their social media forum will have any impact on them that way. 

To me it honestly seems very whiny and childish, like someone took a lollipop away. 

Time to move on, this site is basically the same and imho, it’s immaterial in life, not something to get worked up over. there’s much more important things to worry about in life 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Also just wanted to add, you do realize the previous site was funded by the org, and this one is private? Costs money and people’s time and resources. It’s a vibrant, passionate community that might have been lost had certain people not taken it upon themselves. I’m not trying to be a hero or anything, and apologies for being annoying with all my posts. Was just trying to help the new site gain traction and engagement because CDC/CFF has been a big part of my life since inception. Hope that explains. 

Hosting a site costs $100 a year. I have a site up for my business. The person who put it up can ask for donations or run adds and probably make money given the traffic here. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

As AJ pointed out likely Woo, Juulsen, McWard or Johansson would take Myers spot. I dont think it changes much on the left side. Hirose would have to win the #6, or probably back in Abby which is not a bad thing.  

1 minute ago, BlockerHigh said:

Hosting a site costs $100 a year. I have a site up for my business. The person who put it up can ask for donations or run adds and probably make money given the traffic here. 

Exactly my point. As a reward for admin efforts I’m hoping the org can at least draw attention to the new site, which in turn might assist the admins with operating costs and also reward them for all the efforts previously dedicated to CDC. 

you’re posting here because of them. 
to you it’s whining what I’m saying. That’s ok, to a point I strongly agree.

But to some folks who see this community as an extension of their social life and offers some balance to any personal problems, let alone just being big fans of the club, it’s important to ensure that community lives on, ya know?

anyway just wanted to see the site grow and trying to encourage all aspects of discourse here overall 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1