2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Well, been a fan since I was a kid.

My two closest “uncles” when I was young were Larry Ashley and Ron Delorme. I’ve been really close to the team and seen how well supported it’s been. 

seeing CDC end is one thing, but that’s just a sign of the times. What bothers me is how the fans are basically being abandoned in the process. For you and me to come here and post, source news, vent, takes a lot of work from people behind the scenes and that should at least be recognized.

as well, with the limited success this club has achieved over the years, the fanbase never abandoned them and likely never would. 

as such, I think that should be addressed even simply as a courtesy.

I agree there.

Without us fans there no team or money to get things done.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

One is a RD the other a LD, and I doubt they want Akito just hanging out in the 7 spot instead of playing. Matt Irwin seems like a perfect vet #7 dman. 

Yeah I see Hirose in the Ahl, next year with Myers off the books and Cole only signed for one year that's opens a LD and a RD spot. Woo and Hirose? 

9 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

I'm really starting to buy in to Tocchet. He comes across as such a knowledgeable and likable coach. I get the impression that he expects a lot from his players, and they buy in because they respect him so much. Almost as if they don't want to let him down. Total opposite coaching style to a Mike Babcock.

Notes from the interview:

-Focused on systems such as breakouts and neutral zone forechecking today

-Wanted to try out different D pairs with Hughes, still not sold on two lefties

-Possibility of Hughe's D partner is played by a "committee" of players

-Thinks DeSmith "slots" all of the goalies to get enough ice time

-Loves Silovs

-Preaches high-energy style of play

-Top players will participate in the scrimmage tomorrow

-Mikeyev has "good possibility" to return to camp tomorrow

-High praise for Podkolzin, wants him to play "reckless"

-Likes Hoglander's energy, wants him to improve away from the puck

-Very high praise for Kuzmenko, says he's in great shape and has to yell at him less to backcheck

@MeanSeanBean What's the latest on who was and wasn't signing autographs today?

Whispers they are having to up security around the team. Something about a stalker growing increasingly aggressive. Wasn't my concern though, was to busy making sure millionaires act like civil human beings.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

AI is so good that I’m no longer blind. Would have loved to see Petey on the ice today. Boy, seeing Huggy next to Miller is amusing, as Huggy looks so small.

He will be our lightest captain in team history, and it won’t even be close. 

…but I guess that just underscores how anomalous Hughes’ skating and hockey IQ are. I kinda got the same feeling watching the Sedins, like this is SO unusual it only comes once. 

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Whispers they are having to up security around the team. Something about a stalker growing increasingly aggressive. Wasn't my concern though, was to busy making sure millionaires act like civil human beings.

Media and fan attention are an issue in this market when it comes to contracts. If you want the team to thrive then leave them alone. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

I'm really starting to buy in to Tocchet. He comes across as such a knowledgeable and likable coach. I get the impression that he expects a lot from his players, and they buy in because they respect him so much. Almost as if they don't want to let him down. Total opposite coaching style to a Mike Babcock.

I do worry about the intensity and fitness he's expecting from players can result in a hot start but slow down over time. The team is always preaching fitness, but lately we haven't been seeing that amount to anything. No matter how fit someone is, it's not compensating for skill / ability.

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I see Hirose in the Ahl, next year with Myers off the books and Cole only signed for one year that's opens a LD and a RD spot. Woo and Hirose? 

I get the feeling as contracts age out on D they will add to the top of the roster with UFA or trade additions (please Toews! And I don’t mean Jonathan)

5 minutes ago, ynohtna said:

I do worry about the intensity and fitness he's expecting from players can result in a hot start but slow down over time. The team is always preaching fitness, but lately we haven't been seeing that amount to anything. No matter how fit someone is, it's not compensating for skill / ability.

And when you rely on red lining it right off the bat you end up with injuries and burnout 

2 minutes ago, high flying Vee said:

I get the feeling as contracts age out on D they will add to the top of the roster with UFA or trade additions (please Toews! And I don’t mean Jonathan)

That would be a great strategy. 

I would even take Myers back for a 2 mil/year deal next season

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I honestly think Hughes and Hronek could be lethal on PP1. Not seen too often anymore, but I think the two D system should be experimented with more again, especially when you have a passer-shooter combo like Hughes and Hronek. Get Hughes on the right side so Hronek can wire the one-timers.

Apparently Carolina is trying Burns and Deangelo together on their first PP as well. Goes back to 2 D, even if they are incredibly offensive minded defensemen might limit the SHG we seem to suffer every year

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Hogs - Petey - Kuzy

Beau - Miller - Boeser

Micky - Suter - Garland

PDG - Blueger - Podz

Hughes - Juulsen

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Demko

DeSmith

Small on the wings... Where's Joshua?  Need his size, hitting, fighting with reasonable speed and skill.  

When healthy

Micky takes Högs place beside petey.  Joshua on third line beside Suter and Garland.

That could be a very hard to play against third line with some skill.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Small on the wings... Where's Joshua?  Need his size, hitting, fighting with reasonable speed and skill.  

When healthy

Micky takes Högs place beside petey.  Joshua on third line beside Suter and Garland.

That could be a very hard to play against third line with some skill.

Oof, can't believe I missed him. Log jam with forwards. 

• Cheers 1