2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm not saying that Studs has no chance.  Maybe since he had such a great summer he makes the team.  He's younger than I thought and I was lumping him in with guys like Dries and PDG who are both 29

I know exactly what you mean.  The odds are against him but that’s partly why Im rooting for him. And he seems like such a good kid.  

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I mostly recall them being much more casual. More like a loosening up prior to season and brush up on coordination. Loose atmosphere, lots of chatter on the ice, guys taking some drills quite passively, almost as though just going through the motions. Obviously a bit different with respect to the younger players/prospects who wanted to put in a good showing, but even they weren’t worked as hard as everyone has been as this camp so far.

This year, the players are are fully immersed in the expectation/pace of the drills. Almost every variety focuses on a serious amount of backcheck and re-engaging the play, sometimes on the fly/ zone transition. A lot of concentrated effort on understanding/anticipating how the play may pan out and reinforcing responsible man/line coverage. 

Noticed many of the drills on each side of the ice called dead as offense just setting up. I think that’s on purpose to psychologically implement some conditioning to reiterate how much he wants the team to buy in to the defensive responsibilities leading into their transition game.

Tocchet really applying that strong defensive component to almost every one of the drills. More focus on that than driving offense and the results of it at this time, imho.

I think Petey sums it up nicely from your take.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It was wild watching him skate yesterday. Night and day difference from last time I saw him live last year 

For his sake I hope it gets results, if anyone on the team needs a good year it's him, particularly after how last season went both personally and professionally 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He really doesn't look like a stringy little kid anymore, does he.  I sense a career year  at hand.  Can't help thinking Bruce Boudreau was a good influence on a few of

the guys. Pettersson being one of them. 

Nope. I saw Petey in his street clothes and he's looking very fit. Curious what you mean about Bruce Boudreau's influence? 

9 hours ago, high flying Vee said:

He will be our lightest captain in team history, and it won’t even be close. 

…but I guess that just underscores how anomalous Hughes’ skating and hockey IQ are. I kinda got the same feeling watching the Sedins, like this is SO unusual it only comes once. 

Yeah he's not going to be checking anyone through the glass any time soon. I like him as captain though!