2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys on 650 are hinting that JR/Allvin said something juicy today. They haven’t said what is was though. So what was so good? 

I saw on Reddit some people overreacting about JR’s comment on shedding 1 or 2 more contracts from the old regime, coupled with a growing salary cap, before they have a solid grasp on the cap situation.

They were saying it was a little pointed. Not sure if that is what the 650 guys were on about. But I didn’t notice anything particularly juicy.

Maybe some of the comments about the practice facility, which is just that it’s still in progress, to be finished next year for “100%”.

Kuzy off-season in Bali was the highlight lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I saw on Reddit some people overreacting about JR’s comment on shedding 1 or 2 more contracts from the old regime, coupled with a growing salary cap, before they have a solid grasp on the cap situation.

They were saying it was a little pointed. Not sure if that is what the 650 guys were on about. But I didn’t notice anything particularly juicy.

Maybe some of the comments about the practice facility, which is just that it’s still in progress, to be finished next year for “100%”.

Kuzy off-season in Bali was the highlight lol

This was the most interesting thing to me…he came back and corrected there were two contracts they wanted to move, and then they’d have the cap space to do what they really wanted to do.

Sounds like major surgery is still underway…

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Guys on 650 are hinting that JR/Allvin said something juicy today. They haven’t said what is was though. So what was so good? 

Only two things I noticed were his feeling that if things go well, we should be a playoff team and JR talked about how he wants to be rid of "one or two" more contracts. He didn't give a timeline for when he wanted to be rid of them.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Only two things I noticed were his feeling that if things go well, we should be a playoff team and JR talked about how he wants to be rid of "one or two" more contracts. He didn't give a timeline for when he wanted to be rid of them.

yeah, just rematched that part. Two more contracts and they’ll have the cap unravelled, and will be able to do what they really want to do.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

garland and myers, this has effectively been public knowledge for months. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Can someone inform me why Willander isn't at camp? He's playing in NCAA this year right? Is there a conflict or something?

that basically is the conflict. ncaa players can only do camps if they pay 100% of their own expenses and can't play exhibition games. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

that basically is the conflict. ncaa players can only do camps if they pay 100% of their own expenses and can't play exhibition games. 

Kind of silly isnt it? 

As long as the dates don't conflict with his NCAA games, he should be able to participate in the training camp.

Sucks...we have this intriguing awesome new prospect but won't get to see him in camp!

2 minutes ago, Canuck-Oni said:

Kind of silly isnt it? 

As long as the dates don't conflict with his NCAA games, he should be able to participate in the training camp.

Sucks...we have this intriguing awesome new prospect but won't get to see him in camp!

There are many silly contract terms in this world…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Slegr said:

Agreed. I feel like Hoglander is skating on pretty thin ice. He has to be more consistent and get better at finishing if he’s to stay with the big club. And he really needs to score one of those lacrosse-style goals in a game.

As far as "the Hog" skating on thin ice, I don't think so. He's still only 22. 

Definitely needs to improve his finishing, but so does everyone else. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, been sold out for a few days. Still tickets available for Thur, Fri and Sun though.

When my wife announced she had plans for Saturday, and that was the day of the scrimmage, I thought it was destiny.  Only to be denied.  😃

I went last time it was in Victoria and had a blast.  Maybe my memory is going, but I thought there were plenty of empty seats then.

Edit:  I dug up a pic.  There were lots of empty seats.

No photo description available.

Edited by Goalie29
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

When my wife announced she had plans for Saturday, and that was the day of the scrimmage, I thought it was destiny.  Only to be denied.  😃

I went last time it was in Victoria and had a blast.  Maybe my memory is going, but I thought there were plenty of empty seats then.

Edit:  I dug up a pic.  There were lots of empty seats.

No photo description available.

Great pic. Yeah, even though it sells out, people come at different times I guess. I see the Sunday is now sold out too.

31 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

As far as "the Hog" skating on thin ice, I don't think so. He's still only 22. 

Definitely needs to improve his finishing, but so does everyone else. 

Particularly given he had a really good season in Abby last year. He's taken a number of the steps they wanted to see so he earns more rope with that. He will be given some time assuming he shows he can make the roster (which he should). All that will be expected of him is to work his tail off, play responsibly in his own zone, points, they won't care about.

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • Cheers 1