2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm a big fan of structure out there. I love to see when the other team breaks out we have all their players marked. When we don't have good odds, we dump it in and forecheck with speed and commitment, or change. Less high risk plays and more high percentage plays where players are in positions each other expect. Stuff like that. I can accept when a guy simply gets beat in a footrace but knows where he's supposed be and is trying 100% to get there. What kills me is the plays where they get odd man rushes and you see someone skating 80% not picking up anyone and have their open man get a give me on a broken play. Once you have structure then you have guys like Petey, Kuz, and Hughes doing the unexpected, which would make us hard to beat.

Really hoping we put together a solid road trip out of the gate too. It does feel like we're actually going to get 100% effort and execution this year. Last year they all said the right things but it was evident shortly into the season that they were hollow words. Let's Go Canucks! 🏒

Not sure if someone else mentioned it, but Tocchet said he tailored the approach to this camp with a systems/structure emphasis.  Lots of teaching time.

Makes total sense given where the team was last year and the amount of new players.  Throw in the fitness focus in the offseason and hopefully they don’t need to focus on that in camp as the guys are already in fighting form.

This is what I had hoped would happen with Bruce getting a full camp to implement his vision (and with all due respect to Bruce, who’s a beauty) it looks like Tocchet isn’t going to squander this opportunity like his predecessor.  Fingers and toes crossed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Thanks for the kind words!

Meeting and talking with Drance gave me a bit more perspective on him and in person he had a really good energy and passion for the game. Not gonna hate on him as much anymore, especially as he wants to help out the new forum with a shout out. 

I always find Drance more palatable on radio or TV than in his writing.  when he writes he needs to do a call back to criticize the team’s cap structure and prospect pool every two paragraphs - but in person he seems to just focus on the present.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Saddest moment of the day:

Martin finally on the ice…

with the zambonis.

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.7d18b886796818fb0d9f26c1c0d87b06.jpeg

Oh man, that’s actually tough to see.  It’s a pretty cutthroat business, though, and with the addition of DeSmith and with Silovs/Tolopilo knocking it’s easy to get squeezed out.  

He’s just gotta keep grinding - injuries and a run of poor play could see him back up the depth chart in no time. (Not that we want that - no offence to Martin.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Oh man, that’s actually tough to see.  It’s a pretty cutthroat business, though, and with the addition of DeSmith and with Silovs/Tolopilo knocking it’s easy to get squeezed out.  

He’s just gotta keep grinding - injuries and a run of poor play could see him back up the depth chart in no time. (Not that we want that - no offence to Martin.)

I think the club will give him a chance elsewhere, unless Johnson wants him in Abby to solidify their chances this year. Tolopilo should be there next year perhaps as starter. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

I think the last defense spot is between Brisebois, Juulsen, and Wolanin. Unfortunately Rathbone has had a rough camp and does not look good. Unless he turns it up in the preseason I think he’s done. Both Hirose and McWard have looked better than him as well.

Hogs I can see on the fence too. He hasn’t looked great either. Constantly bobbling pucks. Hope he has a few good pre season game.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1705664702985203830/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1705664702985203830&currentTweetUser=ChrisFaber39&mode=profile

Here is Garland and Joshua mixing it up, Looks like Hronek gives him an accidental shot when he tries to break it up lol. 

I'd love to know what started it though!!

im not sure how to embed the tweet on phone, but with pc open the tweet and then copy the link, then just paste it in the comments and it will auto load

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I am sure Martin is still quite happy to be getting paid full NHL salary regardless of where he is. Heck if I was him, I would be fine if they asked me to be the driver of the zamboni...and still collect 750k for the coming season!

I think Martin was left to the wolves last year, he clearly is a 2b or #3G for most teams, if we can move him to give him a better chance at NHL games then we should do it. Maybe get a 6th or 7th round pick but good ole future considerations may also be the return

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Saddest moment of the day:

Martin finally on the ice…

with the zambonis.

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.7d18b886796818fb0d9f26c1c0d87b06.jpeg

About to workout Martin and Young afterwards. The tough part of being a pro athlete. 

This better not mean he's starting tomorrow. I'm going to the game, and no offence to Martin, but he's the last of our goalies I want to watch tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

I am sure Martin is still quite happy to be getting paid full NHL salary regardless of where he is. Heck if I was him, I would be fine if they asked me to be the driver of the zamboni...and still collect 750k for the coming season!

I think Martin was left to the wolves last year, he clearly is a 2b or #3G for most teams, if we can move him to give him a better chance at NHL games then we should do it. Maybe get a 6th or 7th round pick but good ole future considerations may also be the return

Oh I’m not lamenting his place in life as a human being - but as you said he’s dropped from being an NHL backup / starter last year to odd man out at training camp.  That stings regardless your pay. 

Agree with 2nd paragraph - but that chance could still very well be in this org.  We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This better not mean he's starting tomorrow. I'm going to the game, and no offence to Martin, but he's the last of our goalies I want to watch tomorrow.

I don’t think it does. Both him and Young were odd men out from scrimmage today so they were just utilizing the ice afterwards with the Sedins to get practice reps in. I can’t imagine Martin getting a chance to start now even preseason given he’s been supplanted twice on the depth chart in camp alone. 

only way he gets into a game is to showcase him for an opp with another club methinks 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr.BRR said:

anyone see what started the scrum??

55 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just aggressive play. Joshua using his size to block out Garly and Garly not allowing that to prevent his opportunity. 

45 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

im not sure how to embed the tweet on phone, but with pc open the tweet and then copy the link, then just paste it in the comments and it will auto load

Here is the play that started it.  Watch the slash by Joshua - WTF is he thinking.  Why the hell would you take a slash at our #2 D-man even if he was the one who hit him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Here is the play that started it.  Watch the slash by Joshua - WTF is he thinking.  Why the hell would you take a slash at our #2 D-man even if he was the one who hit him?

Joshua is a meatball. Meatballs are needed. They make the main dish better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Joshua is a meatball. Meatballs are needed. They make the main dish better. 

Swedish meatballs?   Now you're talking Karlsson. ... he too is a shift disturber.  Unfortunately we have so much depth on the wings that he's going to be 30 before he gets his shot at the big club

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know what I love about this new coaching staff. Something this team has been crying for, for years. STRUCTURE. Attention to details. What to do, what not to do. Working on actually getting to be better players. And working as a unit.

I would love to see the team surprise everyone and start out the gate with a great start against tough teams.

Also on Tocchet, he has a clear vision for how he wants the team to play - and down to the smallest detail in every area.

He was talking about one of his staples being how guys need to hustle back to the bench, he can't stand it when they dont; "its just the way I am". Also on the PP trying to get away from the static 3-1-1 & constantly looking for one-timers, wanting instead to get it to Kuz downlow. Exc. Exc.

Every part of the game he knows what he wants and knows where we need to improve. Its so refreshing, feels like there is a 'winning' standard again. (finally)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

We don't need him whacking at the ankles of better players in the preseason.  I'm pretty sure that's why Garland went up to him.

Like I said. Joshua is a meatball. One of our core is going to need to fight him in practice (or in the room or parking lot) to put him in his place. Can’t have the meatballs challenging the core and going unanswered. Garland should have whacked the meatball over the heard with his stick. Send the message to all the meatballs in the league. Go after our gore and get the axe. Our guys have to be willing to sacrifice some pay and take the suspension. 

• Confused 1