2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

22 hours ago, Roberts said:

A kid threw a jersey on Pettersson's head today while he was signing autographs for everyone, so he just tossed it aside and didn't sign it. He didn't give it back either, a security guard had to go get it back for the kid later.

Good that he didn't sign it then. So rude. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

Pretty rude to throw a jersey at him like that. I don’t blame him for not signing it. Kids these days have zero patience… 

I was pretty astounded at the lack of manners or civility in some of the kids asking/demanding autographs.  If any of them were mine, we'd be out of there, and they be benched next game.

• Cheers 2

Just watched the Oilers / Jets highlights.

Did the Canucks make a mistake dumping Delia for DeSmith?  Could have saved a third round pick, and maybe got another lower pick if we'd traded Pearson to someone else.

36 saves against a half stacked Oilers team. A number of highlight reel stops. Only one goal against. And it was one that was pretty unstoppable. Saved every shot in OT. He looked real gud.

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Did the Canucks make a mistake dumping Delia for DeSmith?  Could have saved a third round pick, and maybe got another lower pick if we'd traded Pearson to someone else.

36 saves against a half stacked Oilers team. A number of highlight reel stops. Only one goal against. And it was one that was pretty unstoppable. Saved every shot in OT. He looked real gud.

I would not want Delia based on one exhibition game. Way rather have Desmith. 

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

That was about the extent of my conversation with Roger Federer this past weekend! Wicked cool haha

Isn't it just so fun to casually chat to famous athletes? Instead of freaking out, it's awesome just talking to them like a friend!

• Huggy Bear 1

41 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Isn't it just so fun to casually chat to famous athletes? Instead of freaking out, it's awesome just talking to them like a friend!

It’s awesome! I play soccer with a bunch of current and former pro/semi pro guys and it’s such a surreal feeling.  Also train with a few WHL/USHL guys and met a couple NHL guys in casual contexts. Of course, they’re not like Roger Federer or even Patrick Allvin, but still really cool to get to know someone who so many people idolize

• Cheers 3

The battle for the bottom defense roles is an interesting one. An interesting aspect of it is if the Canucks will carry 8 defensemen or not. Doing so may involve having a fairly young guy scratched. Here's my gut as to what'll happen:

Vancouver:

3LD: Wolanin - His waiver eligibility and overall skill level likely wins him this spot IMO

3RD: Myers - I highly doubt there's a chance he could lose this role

4LD: Irwin - Would love to have the option to opt for skill or physicallity, depending on what we need each nice. He and Wolanin could switch off easily to adapt for our team's need.

4RD: This is the trickiest one. The most likely bet is probably Jett Woo, because he's now eligible for waivers. The catch is then we have him stuck in Vancouver, almost never playing games unless we have injuries, so I'm not sure that's really a great option.

Abbotsford:

1LD: Hirose - Probably is NHL ready, but because of his waiver status, it's easier just to send him down for big Abbotsford minutes and call up if we need another LD in the case of injuries

1RD: Cole McWard - Seems better than other options like Juulsen who were already in Abby.

2LD: Rathbone - Sad to see, but I think he's fallen quite a bit down the depth chart. This is assuming he's not claimed on waivers.

2RD: Juulsen - There have been rumblings of him getting NHL time, but I can't see how he's ahead of Myers or McWard and probably not even Woo. 

3LD: Brisebois - Weird to see a guy with 27 games of NHL experience this far down, but the race on LD in Abbotsford is fairly tight and I don't think it would be crazy to see all three of these guys switch up their roles, depending on how they're playing.

3RD: Johansson - Hasn't been super impressive so far in camp. He will rely on Woo staying in Vancouver to get decent minutes in Abby, otherwise, may end up being a scratch in Abbotsford. Like the Abbotsford LD though, the RD is also quite tight and McWard, Juulsen, and Johanssen could all swap around if one surprises or another disappoints.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The battle for the bottom defense roles is an interesting one. An interesting aspect of it is if the Canucks will carry 8 defensemen or not. Doing so may involve having a fairly young guy scratched. Here's my gut as to what'll happen:

Vancouver:

3LD: Wolanin - His waiver eligibility and overall skill level likely wins him this spot IMO

4LD: Irwin - Would love to have the option to opt for skill or physicallity, depending on what we need each nice. He and Wolanin could switch off easily to adapt for our team's need.

4RD: This is the trickiest one. The most likely bet is probably Jett Woo, because he's now eligible for waivers. The catch is then we have him stuck in Vancouver, almost never playing games unless we have injuries, so I'm not sure that's really a great option.

Abbotsford:

1LD: Hirose - Probably is NHL ready, but because of his waiver status, it's easier just to send him down for big Abbotsford minutes and call up if we need another LD in the case of injuries

1RD: Cole McWard - Seems better than other options like Juulsen who were already in Abby.

2LD: Rathbone - Sad to see, but I think he's fallen quite a bit down the depth chart. This is assuming he's not claimed on waivers.

2RD: Juulsen - There have been rumblings of him getting NHL time, but I can't see how he's ahead of Myers or McWard and probably not even Woo. 

3LD: Brisebois - Weird to see a guy with 27 games of NHL experience this far down, but the race on LD in Abbotsford is fairly tight and I don't think it would be crazy to see all three of these guys switch up their roles, depending on how they're playing.

3RD: Johansson - Hasn't been super impressive so far in camp. He will rely on Woo staying in Vancouver to get decent minutes in Abby, otherwise, may end up being a scratch in Abbotsford. Like the Abbotsford LD though, the RD is also quite tight and McWard, Juulsen, and Johanssen could all swap around if one surprises or another disappoints.

I agree. Also I think people are really sleeping on Wolanin. Looked great in his call up (+5) and was the AHL dman of the year. His career is late due to playing out a full college stint then getting hit with injuries & Covid so last season was only his 2nd full season. His first he got 30 games in Ottawa with 12 points (33 point pace and a +3) along with 31 points in 40 AHL games.

6’2 frame and great skater.

Irwin isn’t nearly as good of a player but he is a strong penalty killer. I think he is a fantastic 7/8 guy to fill in for players like Cole or Soucy when they are out of the lineup

Edited by Canucklehead44
  • Cheers 3

17 hours ago, kilgore said:

No

4 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Wow!  Look at McWard with Hughes... May be nothing but wouldn't that be great!  Cross my fingers... Odds are it is just an experiment that will be moved on from in favor of a the known commodity of a vet.... Dare to dream because the rest of the guys look to be in their perfect spots... 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Vancouver:

Abbotsford:

I'm thinking Brisbois gets a good look. He's got the most experience and he has looked good with Myers before. I would think he has a leg up on Woo but maybe we need an extra righty. You would think that is set though with Hronek, Myers, and one of Soucy or Cole. If we could get another player for Hughes it would make our D very strong actually.