2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I'm thinking Brisbois gets a good look. He's got the most experience and he has looked good with Myers before. I would think he has a leg up on Woo but maybe we need an extra righty. You would think that is set though with Hronek, Myers, and one of Soucy or Cole. If we could get another player for Hughes it would make our D very strong actually.

Well Woo is a RD, so unless we carry 5 LDs, I'm not sure if he's got a shot there. In terms of LD, I have a really hard time seeing Brisebois ahead of any of Hirose, Irwin, or Wolanin given how things have gone so far.

13 hours ago, Roberts said:

Isn't it just so fun to casually chat to famous athletes? Instead of freaking out, it's awesome just talking to them like a friend!

I've been incredibly fortunate in my career to work with my share of athletes. I'll talk to them about their sports if it's necessary, but it's fun just giving them a chance to talk about whatever. There entire life revolves around their sport, it must be a breath of fresh air to not have to discuss it further 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Wow!  Look at McWard with Hughes... May be nothing but wouldn't that be great!  Cross my fingers... Odds are it is just an experiment that will be moved on from in favor of a the known commodity of a vet.... Dare to dream because the rest of the guys look to be in their perfect spots... 

That would be sweet. He's getting rewarded for a strong showing so far. Hopefully he keeps it up.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

So, if Abbotsford’s camp doesn’t open until October 4th…

…what are those released players doing in the meantime? 🤔

Hopefully Abbotsford is running some sort of unofficial/closed training camp before their official camp (open to public) October 4-7 in Chilliwack.

Or at the very least, making some facilities and staff available to the players released from the NHL Canucks camp, so the AHL Canucks players can continue to skate and train together, over the eight days between now and the start of the official “Abbotsford Canucks 2023 training camp in Chilliwack.”

I can’t imagine they’d simply cut a bunch of players and leave them to basically fend for themselves for the next week.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Trebreh said:

I like that 4th line, versatile since they all can play C and have lots of speed and some skill.

No Joshua at practice is good… don’t want him to take out his frustration from last game on Garland again. 🫢

So far so very disappointing performance for Joshua.  We really need a guys like him... But he's showing no heart, grit, loyalty or care... Dare I say... His attitude so far reminds me of Virtanen (light).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

So far so very disappointing performance for Joshua.  We really need a guys like him... But he's showing no heart, grit, loyalty or care... Dare I say... His attitude so far reminds me of Virtanen (light).

I think he got too comfortable thinking he’s a regular nhler because he played the whole year, but it that was only because we had no depth last season. the only thing he has over those three name I mentioned was his physicality.. he had a perfect game to showcase that and was a no show. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yeah, he's a good player but he has some extended periods where he doesn't bring much energy or skate very hard.

14 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think he got too comfortable thinking he’s a regular nhler because he played the whole year, but it that was only because we had no depth last season. the only thing he has over those three name I mentioned was his physicality.. he had a perfect game to showcase that and was a no show. 

Yeah as I was saying above I think he gets to committed to being a fancy skill type player and doesn't quite understand the urgency for pace, physicality, and energy. Where is he today, maybe he was hurt last game a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Well Woo is a RD, so unless we carry 5 LDs, I'm not sure if he's got a shot there. In terms of LD, I have a really hard time seeing Brisebois ahead of any of Hirose, Irwin, or Wolanin given how things have gone so far.

Yeah, I think Brisebois' days are numbered, he's really slipped down the LD chart now and I agree all 3 are ahead of him, though I guess Irwin is likely only here for this year.

• Upvote 1

I can see Podkolzin starting out in Abbotsford, it's extremely tough when you have your first kid. It's take a toll on you physically and mentally in the first year so he may need some time to adjust.

In terms of Joshua, I think he didn't come to camp in the shape that Tocchett wants and Tocchett will absolutely prove a point by sitting him out and letting Studnicka steal his spot. Based on the second group, Podz and Joshua are definitely on the bubble. 

Edited by Bane
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That second practice group looks almost identical to our roster in game 1, no? Only differences I spot are Bains, Nielsen, and Wouters in. Obviously Hoglander and Suter out. Someone else out too that I'm missing.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That second practice group looks almost identical to our roster in game 1, no? Only differences I spot are Bains, Nielsen, and Wouters in. Obviously Hoglander and Suter out. Someone else out too that I'm missing.

Aman also subbed out of this group.

I wouldn't read too much who is in group 1 and 2. It is only game 2 of 6 in the preseason, so I can't see that the coaches would want to role out all their regulars in group 1. I would expect a mix of group 1 and group 2 to be in Edmonton tomorrow and we will likely see more of our regulars in the final 4 games at home and Abbotsford.

Likely want to create more continuity in practicing special teams and creating more chemistry.

McWard with Hughes is interesting, I think everyone here assumed that was Cole's spot to lose but McWard did look very good. He's got a heck of a wrist shot but I don't think he's the right type of player for Hughes, especially when we just brought in two big physical versatile defencemen. Cole and Hronek does make a hell of a good shutdown pair and Soucy-Myers makes sense, but hopefully this is just for a bit of fun. McWard surely doesn't start on our top pairing.

Everyone laughing at me for proposing PDG in our top-6, have a look at what Tocchet is doing. Podkolzin will be in the bin and PDG right back at there. Rick wants forecheckers, he doesn't care about pedigree, and PDG brings size as well. I think it's his spot to lose. Garland, Beauvillier and Podkolzin just don't bring enough energy to that line. They've already got one floaty scorer on the line, don't need two.

Good to see Hoglander getting reps on the top line - again, same formula - Tocc likes a good forechecker alongside a playmaker and shooter, and Mikheyev does that extremely well but if he's not available, Hogs can. 

42 minutes ago, Bane said:

I can see Podkolzin starting out in Abbotsford, it's extremely tough when you have your first kid. It's take a toll on you physically and mentally in the first year so he may need some time to adjust.

In terms of Joshua, I think he didn't come to camp in the shape that Tocchett wants and Tocchett will absolutely prove a point by sitting him out and letting Studnicka steal his spot. Based on the second group, Podz and Joshua are definitely on the bubble. 

It’s unfortunate,but having your first kid is not really an excuse.

Pro sports is a results based businesses,and it doesn’t wait for anyone.

I’d say that after this pre season,the clock is officially ticking on this player.

Shame really,everyone is rooting for him.