2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

Think Joshuas probably out and Podz might start in the AHL. PDG interchangeable part for Mikheyev until Mikheyev is healthy (helps that PDG can kill penalties like mikheyev too)

Hoglander-Petey-Kuzmenko

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Studnicka

Would be really nice to have Aman there on the fourth line too as an extra center

Studnicka is actually a natural centre too, so you have three centres on one line there. Anyone could take the draws.

I think I'd probably switch Mikheyev and Hoglander around, except while Mikheyev is gone, have Hoglander on the top line and PDG on the 2nd line. Other than that, I do like these lines. Bains might make a push for either Aman or Studnicka's spot, but we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of interesting stuff out of this

- For 10-0 loss he mentioned he would’ve protected the kids a bit more and thrown in some vets had he known the Flames lineup was going to be as stacked as it was

- Seems frustrated with Joshua, saying how he won’t get into specifics, but you gotta assume the Garland stuff coupled with a meh performance on Sunday hurt his chances

- PDG with Millsy and Boeser is going back to what worked last year, saying how strong their possession game was

- Loves McWard, giving him a chance to skate with Hughes, but mentioned that he is going to be great for Nucks future, which makes me think he’s still AHL bound

- “by committee” which basically meant he’s happy having fluidity in pairings and lines. Like stacking Hronek Hughes in an advantageous O-zone face-off. He also talked the same for players like PDG on that Miller line. I like the adaptability, so long as we don’t get the blender lines past coaches seem to have grown so fond of

- mostly NHL rosters for games 2 and 3, then the NHL roster for games 4-6, so people can stop crying about misusing the preseason

- The Aman - Blueger - Studnicka line showed promise as a defensively sound, strong line. Mentioned Aman was top 4 fittest players coming into camp, got much stronger. 

- Podz is in his head, they’re trying to work on that

- Mikheyev had a great Skating test, will still need some time to recover

- Really likes Brisebois hockey IQ and defensive play, saying he’s paid his dues. Will be interesting to see where he lands

Looking forward to tomorrow! 

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Joshua got a little high on himself after last season, knowing Tocchet likes him. Maybe he felt he already had the job, didn't prepare well enough? 

I haven't watched any games yet, just got back from Vegas yesterday after seeing my Steelers beat the Raiders on Sunday. 

Too bad about Podkolzin, sounds like he's struggling, overthinking the game. I hope he sorts that out, lots of expectations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Integra250 said:

Quinn Hughes' 6th season here (5th full season) and we're still struggling to find him a full-time partner. In the mean while, Tanev still looks great...

I can't see McWard making the jump from rookie to 1st D-pairing just because he is a RHD but stranger things have happened.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Yes, we miss tanev.  Yes, we've been looking for a suitable replacement ever since.  Even if he would have probably been hurt more here than he has with the flames.  Regardless, he gone... Move on... Benning mistake, Benning gone.  

McWard's a long shot... But stranger things have happened.

4 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I wonder if Podkolzin has already played his way off the opening night roster. I had high hopes a good summer and becoming a dad would bring out the best in him, but he hasn't done anything to impress so far. Darn shame.

Hope not.  Coach spoke highly of him during the summer.

I think it's most likely due to the injury with ?Tanev the other day.  He should get lot of chances.   First round draft pick.  

8 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Yes, we miss tanev.  Yes, we've been looking for a suitable replacement ever since.  Even if he would have probably been hurt more here than he has with the flames.  Regardless, he gone... Move on... Benning mistake, Benning gone.  

McWard's a long shot... But stranger things have happened.

At this point in time we've now made Hughes Captain. He's arguably our best player and as you mention going into year six. It's time we went out and got his guy a legit defence partner. It has to be the first and foremost thing, or it should be anyway ... along with Petey re-signing of course. Oh yeah, and better two way players in the top 6. 3 simple things to accomplish by next season.

23 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Quinn Hughes' 6th season here (5th full season) and we're still struggling to find him a full-time partner. In the mean while, Tanev still looks great...

I can't see McWard making the jump from rookie to 1st D-pairing just because he is a RHD but stranger things have happened.

i didnt watch much of the calgary game but last year, when i watched mcward he looked kinda out of place in our lineup. feels like its setting him up for failure to expect him to be nhl ready AND qh partner this year. let him cook for a year in abby at least. 

myers is "ok" with hughes, i think you let myers or one of the lefties have the job for now, sign bear in december, and have bear play that role from december onwards. 

Sounds like Joshua might be a bit of a d!ck. 

Interested to see how many games McWard gets with Hughes 🤔 surprised they aren't giving that look to Hirose instead. 

I don't mind PDG on the 2nd - seemed those 3 had some chemistry and he is always working hard. 

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Does that actually help. What's the advantage there?

I suppose it opens up some short term trade possibilities where they could use Mikheyev’s LTIR relief to acquire a roughly $5M AAV player without having to send any salary back in the trade. Which might widen the list of potential trade partners. But then the Canucks would still be forced to dump that cap later, to clear enough space for when Mikheyev comes off LTIR. So if Vancouver wants to bring in another significant salary, they will ultimately need to move someone out. Putting Mikheyev on LTIR just gives them a little more flexibility and time, when it comes to clearing the cap space necessary for any major addition to this season’s roster.

Edited by SISMIM

19 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

i didnt watch much of the calgary game but last year, when i watched mcward he looked kinda out of place in our lineup. feels like its setting him up for failure to expect him to be nhl ready AND qh partner this year. let him cook for a year in abby at least. 

myers is "ok" with hughes, i think you let myers or one of the lefties have the job for now, sign bear in december, and have bear play that role from december onwards. 

Vomit Barf GIF

Myers or Bear with Hughes. Gross. 😁

Edited by Gawdzukes

14 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

I suppose it opens up some short term trade possibilities where they could use Mikheyev’s LTIR relief to acquire a roughly $5M AAV player without having to send any salary back in the trade. Which might widen the list of potential trade partners. But then the Canucks would still be forced to dump that cap later, to clear enough space for when Mikheyev comes off LTIR. So if Vancouver wants to bring in another significant salary, they will ultimately need to move someone out. Putting Mikheyev on LTIR just gives them a little more flexibility and time, when it comes to clearing the cap space necessary for any major addition to this season’s roster.

I don't think it's wise to signing players when we will be forced to figure out how to get back under the cap to bring him off LTIR though. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Could possibly make a big move though, I suppose it's possible, but very risky.

Edited by Gawdzukes

50 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Yup. Benning’s biggest blunder was losing Tanev, and he had a lot of blunders. 

• Cheers 1

Makes me so happy to hear Briseboi get some love from the coach. That guy is quietly becoming a LHD Tanev. He's a cool cucumber back there and slowly made his way up, I wish him the best luck possible making the team in the near future. 

Also glad to hear Joshua called out, with "team like that" lol,  we need some step up from the big guys, toughness by committee deal. 

Also thought McWard was the best RD, Woo had some moments where he didn't look overwhelmed.. but the first 10 mins was rough for him. Other than that I thought he was ok too. 

Rathbone was about the same some good plays but nothing standout. Guys has a wicked shot. 

Agree with everything this coach said today