2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 minute ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Makes me so happy to hear Briseboi get some love from the coach. That guy is quietly becoming a LHD Tanev. He's a cool cucumber back there and slowly made his way up, I wish him the best luck possible making the team in the near future. 

Also glad to hear Joshua called out, with "team like that" lol,  we need some step up from the big guys, toughness by committee deal. 

Also thought McWard was the best RD, Woo had some moments where he didn't look overwhelmed.. but the first 10 mins was rough for him. Other than that I thought he was ok too. 

Rathbone was about the same some good plays but nothing standout. Guys has a wicked shot. 

Agree with everything this coach said today

Yeah I'm thinking Brisbois is a guy that has a real good shot to start with Myers on the third line. We all know this team needs more stay at home solid Tanev types. Exactly how Brisbois plays ... low event hockey.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Easily the hardest replacement that off-season 

And our core (the guys left) knew how big a mistake it was. Miller spoke for them all when he made us “shocking reset” comment. Finding top pairing D, even if they are the compliment to a number one guy, is (exactly as you point out) not easy. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And our core (the guys left) knew how big a mistake it was. Miller spoke for them all when he made us “shocking reset” comment. Finding top pairing D, even if they are the compliment to a number one guy, is (exactly as you point out) not easy. 

Yeah and seeing Tanev playing meaning hockey 3 year later.. he was 1000% worth the resign. I was rooting for "what Jake could be" but man out of all the resigns to get done. Wow.. life boils down to choices and I don't know why JB made that one.

He was clearly drinking some cheap whiskey then and too much Alf. I make better decisions when I run outta beer and get into the wife's wine! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm thinking Brisbois is a guy that has a real good shot to start with Myers on the third line. We all know this team needs more stay at home solid Tanev types. Exactly how Brisbois plays ... low event hockey.

I was always wondering how he was doing in the A, as I don't follow much other than some reading online.. but after seeing him again last year you can see his improvements. Other than that some small samples at the Penticton tournament too years ago now you could tell he wasn't fancy but position was always there. I really think he has that ability to slow it down and play his position over "trying to hard" and putting himself out of the play 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Summary:

- Hopes next 2 games will be a sprinkle of NHL players and some guys in the mix for games 2-3. Game 4-6 will likely resemble closer to what we will see at start of the season - wanted to give the NHL group (group 1) some time to get familiar with each other and practicing with NHL bodies.

- Wants to get a look at McWard - compared him to John Marino, "came out of nowhere and had a good year".

- Likes Di Giuseppe with Miller and Boeser, works hard, predictable and likes that can count on him to be consistent and bring the same element.

- on Podkolzin- working hard but need to take a step back and help him not be so in his head.

- on Joshua - "other factors I wont get into, but he needs to pick it up". Just reading into the semantics, it feels like Joshua not only hasn't come to camp with the intensity that Tocchet wants, but "other factors" seems to suggest some other pieces that is leading to him being put in group B. Makes you wonder - did Joshua come to camp in shape? Does Joshua have an attitude issue?

- Likes Aman-Blueger-Studnicka line: sees them as a shutdown line, these 3 were the top 3 in fitness testing. Likes that they are fast and believes the speed is what they need. 

- Likes Brisebois, high hockey IQ and compete level. Liked Brisebois' willingness to gut it out at the end of the season despite being hurt and playing a lot of games for them down the stretch.

So it sounds like the Flames coach didn’t share his roster for Sunday, so Tochh didn’t send our kids into that mess on purpose.Thats a bit of a relief. 

Let’s  not make the same mistake twice in Edmonton tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear said:

So it sounds like the Flames coach didn’t share his roster for Sunday, so Tochh didn’t send our kids into that mess on purpose.Thats a bit of a relief. 

Let’s  not make the same mistake twice in Edmonton tomorrow.

Hey Hugs, at least we got an answer. It made sense didn't seem like Tocchet was too concerned other than maybe protect them with a little better line-up in retrospect.  He made it known though it was no big thang. Basically an away game where some fringe guys got their chance and the first team will be together more moving forward.

Also sounded like this is the first practice where we got to the intensity level he wants. That's great news this early in pre-season and he stressed a couple times we're two weeks away and intimated there is a lot of work still to go before the puck drops for real. Also stated that the line-up was indeed part of the plan so I'm feeling pretty good about things at this point.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Integra250 said:

Quinn Hughes' 6th season here (5th full season) and we're still struggling to find him a full-time partner. In the mean while, Tanev still looks great...

I can't see McWard making the jump from rookie to 1st D-pairing just because he is a RHD but stranger things have happened.

Tanev is still injured when it matters. I would take him back though. 

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey Hugs, at least we got an answer. It made sense didn't seem like Tocchet was too concerned other than maybe protect them with a little better line-up in retrospect.  He made it known though it was no big thang. Basically an away game where some fringe guys got their chance and the first team will be together more moving forward.

Also sounded like this is the first practice where we got to the intensity level he wants. That's great news this early in pre-season and he stressed a couple times we're two weeks away and intimated there is a lot of work still to go before the puck drops for real. Also stated that the line-up was indeed part of the plan so I'm feeling pretty good about things at this point.

Yep, glad he addressed it, and that he plans to send more NHLers to Edmonton and Seattle. I don’t care if we win, but want to see the games used as opportunities for development.

It’s also good to see him holding Joshua accountable, and choosing discretion not to share all the details.  Especially as a player he recognizes a lot last year with praise and top 6 opportunities…shows it’s a meritocracy and he’s not playing favourites 

• Like 1

Just now, The Aquaman said:

We need a hidden gem, and this kid could be it!

Hirose looks pretty darned good too. Benning 🤢 left the prospect cupboards mostly bare. Seems new management is finding guys to fill them up. 
These 22-24 year old college free agents with the odd Euro thrown in are smart adds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hirose looks pretty darned good too. Benning 🤢 left the prospect cupboards mostly bare. Seems new management is finding guys to fill them up. 
These 22-24 year old college free agents with the odd Euro thrown in are smart adds. 

Yes, they are being very clever! Someone mentioned earlier that McWard has a knack of getting pucks, on the net. Hughsey will get him the puck with his supreme IQ and skating. 

Could be somewhat of a Makar-Toews pairing. 

Oh how delicious that would be!

• Like 1

Just now, The Aquaman said:

Yes, they are being very clever! Someone mentioned earlier that McWard has a knack of getting pucks, on the net. Hughsey will get him the puck with his supreme IQ and skating. 

McWard is s bigger guy who plays a very smart game too. Hughes needs a smart partner. Imagine Hughes with a talented and smart partner that allows him to play more offensively? We could see a plus 100 point season from the Mighty Quinn. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, The Aquaman said:

Oh the ironing is delicious. - satire post - Imgur

• ThereItIs 1