2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

Yeah, he’s basically a 1st round draft pick. Just ask Allvin. 

Hirose and McWard are basically 1st rounders from their draft year. And we have smart management again to get these guys, just like Gillis the Great got us Tanev, who Benning (the puck sucker) lost when he ran out of time. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hirose and McWard are basically 1st rounders from their draft year. And we have smart management again to get these guys, just like Gillis the Great got us Tanev, who Benning (the puck sucker) lost when he ran out of time. 

Oh, I know he’s good. I was just poking fun at Allvin and his tendency to hype up acquisitions. 

4 hours ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

Think Joshuas probably out and Podz might start in the AHL. PDG interchangeable part for Mikheyev until Mikheyev is healthy (helps that PDG can kill penalties like mikheyev too)

Hoglander-Petey-Kuzmenko

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Studnicka

Would be really nice to have Aman there on the fourth line too as an extra center

I actually really like this lineup for opening night…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Summary:

- Hopes next 2 games will be a sprinkle of NHL players and some guys in the mix for games 2-3. Game 4-6 will likely resemble closer to what we will see at start of the season - wanted to give the NHL group (group 1) some time to get familiar with each other and practicing with NHL bodies.

- Wants to get a look at McWard - compared him to John Marino, "came out of nowhere and had a good year".

- Likes Di Giuseppe with Miller and Boeser, works hard, predictable and likes that can count on him to be consistent and bring the same element.

- on Podkolzin- working hard but need to take a step back and help him not be so in his head.

- on Joshua - "other factors I wont get into, but he needs to pick it up". Just reading into the semantics, it feels like Joshua not only hasn't come to camp with the intensity that Tocchet wants, but "other factors" seems to suggest some other pieces that is leading to him being put in group B. Makes you wonder - did Joshua come to camp in shape? Does Joshua have an attitude issue?

- Likes Aman-Blueger-Studnicka line: sees them as a shutdown line, these 3 were the top 3 in fitness testing. Likes that they are fast and believes the speed is what they need. 

- Likes Brisebois, high hockey IQ and compete level. Liked Brisebois' willingness to gut it out at the end of the season despite being hurt and playing a lot of games for them down the stretch.

Did he say sushi? 

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Tocc is fantastic. Big fan. The idea of McWard with Huggy is interesting - I could see it working out, as McWard has great vision and hands, and he should be able to get the puck to Huggy 🤞

Love to hear Toccnalso hold Joshua's feet the the fire. No passengers this year.

Line Hughes-McWard up for all the ozone draws, double shift Soucy with Hughes for any D zone draws.... It's not impossible...

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Line Hughes-McWard up for all the ozone draws, double shift Soucy with Hughes for any D zone draws.... It's not impossible...

I like how Tocc is saying the D will be done by committee - different situations will absolutely call for different pairings. McWard didn't look very good on Sunday, but he's got the skills to be a guy who surprises and plays really well with NHL players. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Truefan99 said:

Why does it feel like another losing season is upon us. Maybe it’s the decade long mediocrity that’s got me skeptical

Doesn’t feel like the at at all to me. 
Remember Tocchet’s record with the lineup last season?…before it’s been upgraded to what we have now which is much stronger and tighter defensively.  

if anyone’s depressed because our bit players didn’t show well in a single preseason game (so far) then perhaps they’re not looking at the bigger picture which is the club has improved AND retained all its top end talent. 
we’re in a positive position.

Edited by RWJC

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

What's the first thing you may worry about, as I do;

Is it tough enough?

It’s tougher than the roster we had at end of last season. Could and likely will still be improved that way as well. 
I think this team will be hungry this year and on the back end we have some guys who finally won’t take any shit from anyone. 

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Yeah, I feel like they’re almost too good for the AHL or at least won’t benefit from playing there.

Whoa, cool your jets man. 😆 I don't think they've reached too good for the AHL status all of the sudden. Would certainly still benefit from playing there.

Edited by Gawdzukes

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Doesn’t feel like the at at all to me. 
Remember Tocchet’s record with the lineup last season?…before it’s been upgraded to what we have now which is much stronger and tighter defensively.  

if anyone’s depressed because our bit players didn’t show well in a single preseason game (so far) then perhaps they’re not looking at the bigger picture which is the club has improved AND retained all its top end talent. 
we’re in a positive position.

For the second time, people need to get over a stretch of meaningless games at the end of last season as a reason to be optimistic it’s going to carry over. 

And pretty big assumption on your part that my opinion had anything to do with one preseason game featuring our AHL players. 

The regular season team has consistently shit the bed for many seasons where there has been similar hope, that is why I say are we in for another disappointing season. 

As the expression goes proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Truefan99
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Truefan99 said:

Why does it feel like another losing season is upon us. Maybe it’s the decade long mediocrity that’s got me skeptical

We’ll push for a wild card, either just in or just out by a few pts imho 

hopefully we make it in so our guys get some playoff experience 

i don’t know how anyone can make any judgements until we have the full roster playing the first 10-20 games.

the past decade has nothing to do with this team 

• Cheers 1