2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

30 minutes ago, Truefan99 said:

For the second time, people need to get over a stretch of meaningless games at the end of last season as a reason to be optimistic it’s going to carry over. 

And pretty big assumption on your part that my opinion had anything to do with one preseason game featuring our AHL players. 

The regular season team has consistently shit the bed for many seasons where there has been similar hope, that is why I say are we in for another disappointing season. 

As the expression goes proof is in the pudding.

36 games is a meaningless stretch? 
that’s almost half the season. 

No offense, but I didn’t assume anything about your opinion as related to preseason. I specifically said anyone. If you want to attach yourself or relate to/personalize that statement in response go right ahead but don’t put it on me. 

basicaly have at ‘er if you feel doom and gloom towards the upcoming season. There’s quite a few positives to consider imho. But again, your perspective is your choice.

I for one look forward to every season because I feel we are pretty fortunate to have an NHL franchise as part of our local entertainment, regardless of how they fare. I guess that might make me a “truefan” 😜

sure it’s tough to accept sometimes when they struggle, or when reviewing their total achievements on the whole as a franchise, but it’s still pro hockey with an owner who’s willing to spend. I just think it could be much worse and as long as there are good hockey minds in charge there’s always an opportunity to create success. Compared to previous seasons I think we’re in a better place to potentially achieve that. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Höglander Pettersson Kuzmenko

Di Giuseppe Miller Boeser

Beauvillier Suter Garland

Aman Blueger Studnicka

Mikheyev injured

Podz ahl?

Joshua 13th forward 

So far from camp it's looking like this for opening roster, we'll see if Hogs is a fit on the top line, if not I'd swap him with Beau

8 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

This team is in deep shit if PDG is playing in the top 6.

PDG is hard on the forcheck, hard on the walls, down low and can play defence. Having a player like that with skilled players is often the smart way to design a line as he’s a puck retrieval player who can get the puck to the finishers. 

construction of a lineup is about roles not about hey I need 6 players in my top 6 who will get me 70-100pts. 

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

36 games is a meaningless stretch? 
that’s almost half the season. 

No offense, but I didn’t assume anything about your opinion as related to preseason. I specifically said anyone. If you want to attach yourself or relate to/personalize that statement in response go right ahead but don’t put it on me. 

basicaly have at ‘er if you feel doom and gloom towards the upcoming season. There’s quite a few positives to consider imho. But again, your perspective is your choice.

I for one look forward to every season because I feel we are pretty fortunate to have an NHL franchise as part of our local entertainment, regardless of how they fare. I guess that might make me a “truefan” 😜

Well when you say anyone in response to something I posted it’s sort of insinuating even if you’re not going to admit that’s the case. Just pointing that out for your reflection. 

on the topic of being lucky to have a nhl team that by itself doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity or even calling it out. Hockey has this market cornered and problems are overlooked in the spirit of “feeling pretty fortunate” to just have a team. 

There are positives but just as many question marks, just happens with the goggles on more weight is given to the former than the latter. 

7 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

PDG is hard on the forcheck, hard on the walls, down low and can play defence. Having a player like that with skilled players is often the smart way to design a line as he’s a puck retrieval player who can get the puck to the finishers. 

construction of a lineup is about roles not about hey I need 6 players in my top 6 who will get me 70-100pts. 

They should be able to get more than 10 goals and 15 assists though. I actually like PDG a lot- on the 4th line where he belongs.

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, Truefan99 said:

Well when you say anyone in response to something I posted it’s sort of insinuating even if you’re not going to admit that’s the case. Just pointing that out for your reflection. 

on the topic of being lucky to have a nhl team that by itself doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity or even calling it out. Hockey has this market cornered and problems are overlooked in the spirit of “feeling pretty fortunate” to just have a team. 

There are positives but just as many question marks, just happens with the goggles on more weight is given to the former than the latter. 

If I wanted to say it directly to you, I would’ve said you. Because it wasn’t directed at you, it wasnt directed at you. You going to respect that or are you going to keep assuming shit simply because you wanna bitch about the team and take that out on people who don’t agree.

You don’t have to accept mediocrity, but you’re also owed nothing. Keep that in perspective. 
it’s not like this org has mailed it in from the start of every season. They just haven’t been able to put it together…yet the effort and $ spent to do so are pretty fucking apparent. 

I get where you’re coming from when you talk about rose coloured glasses being a bit of a tradition in this market. I also think it’s part of fandom which is an extension on reality and partly why every season there is the potential for magic. Considering the level of change and attempt to bolster this roster, it’s somewhat warranted. It’s not like we’re going into the season in a position like Chicago or SJ where there is no motivation or real intention for success. When/if we ever get to that point I might share your sentiment, save for being pretty motivated about “pursuing” a top draft pick…but while this org is still going all in as best they can to win, I’m going to support that in whatever capacity it presents itself and at whatever odds. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

PDG is bottom six on a good team, hands down, however as Huggy Bear is suggesting, there is chemistry. I think try it out for a few games in preseason, see what happens. Ultimately, I think Micky should be there with Miller and Brock. He is PDG but better, however, if there isn't the right chemistry then it doesnt work. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dr.BRR said:

PDG is bottom six on a good team, hands down, however as Huggy Bear is suggesting, there is chemistry. I think try it out for a few games in preseason, see what happens. Ultimately, I think Micky should be there with Miller and Brock. He is PDG but better, however, if there isn't the right chemistry then it doesnt work. 

Yep. Chemistry is a thing, and may change a bit the more systems are implemented. We’ve got a couple weeks to test, and make tweaks

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

100%. Mikhayev is going to be top 6. They’re just working him in slowly 

PDG also sets a bar for the young guys to have to overcome. you want top 6 mins? Ok play harder than that guy in all 3 zones. 

Never considered this, but honestly not a bad idea- use him as the measuring stick for effort/tenacity. Maybe teach Joshua a few things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Tocc is fantastic. Big fan. The idea of McWard with Huggy is interesting - I could see it working out, as McWard has great vision and hands, and he should be able to get the puck to Huggy 🤞

Love to hear Toccnalso hold Joshua's feet the the fire. No passengers this year.

It's at least worth giving a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

For how much we spend on wingers we don't have a lot of top 6 to show for it, especially with Mikeyhev hurt. It is what it is.

Seems like they’re experimenting with a Vegas style 4-line team, with $4-5M skilled wingers hiding out on the 3rd and 4th lines. That or our forward mix isn’t balanced enough to put all our skilled players together…which seems more likely.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

For how much we spend on wingers we don't have a lot of top 6 to show for it, especially with Mikeyhev hurt. It is what it is.

True. This might be the season where that is re-addressed and more money balanced throughout the entire lineup if chemistry proves to be any issue. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Truefan99 said:

For the second time, people need to get over a stretch of meaningless games at the end of last season as a reason to be optimistic it’s going to carry over. 

And pretty big assumption on your part that my opinion had anything to do with one preseason game featuring our AHL players. 

The regular season team has consistently shit the bed for many seasons where there has been similar hope, that is why I say are we in for another disappointing season. 

As the expression goes proof is in the pudding.

So what do you suggest happens Grasshopper? You seem to have it all figured out and have such a sparkling outlook on life. Please enlighten us... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear said:

Seems like they’re experimenting with a Vegas style 4-line team, with $4-5M skilled wingers hiding out on the 3rd and 4th lines. That or our forward mix isn’t balanced enough to put all our skilled players together…which seems more likely.

Yup exactly, we have a couple 3rd liners making 4/5 million but unfortunately I don't think they can provide the same utility as Vegas' third line. It's inefficient and why a guy like PDG ends up on the second. I guess you just never know what they'll go with though. The mix is not good though ... no.

• Like 1