2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

A bit surprised by a few of these

• Irwin being sent down at all
  • Podz sent down this early 
  • Hirose sent down without another look
  • Risk losing Woo

I’m not surprised Podz got sent down. He hasn’t had a good training camp and didn’t earn his spot. Too bad because I really like the player and was hoping he would make the team.

Tocc probably thought he’d seen enough and wants to get closer to his NHL roster to gain momentum for the season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’m not surprised Podz got sent down. He hasn’t had a good training camp and didn’t earn his spot. Too bad because I really like the player and was hoping he would make the team.

Tocc probably thought he’d seen enough and wants to get closer to his NHL roster to gain momentum for the season. 

Good points. I thought he might get one last look, but I support this. 

More surprised that they’re keeping Juulsen up. Wonder if he wasn’t 100% when he played, and they expect him to improve?

• Like 1

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

A bit surprised by a few of these

• Irwin being sent down at all
  • Podz sent down this early 
  • Hirose sent down without another look
  • Risk losing Woo

I think it generally makes sense.

Hirose can use a year to develop in our system in Abby, and there’s a decent amount of LD depth. He will be a primary call up.

Podz needs to build more confidence playing lots of minutes and he’s not a fit in our top 6 right now. He could use some more help and guidance to develop into the type of player we need him to be. Whether that’s a PF, two-way, or what have you. He will also be a primary call up.

I am somewhat surprised by Irwin, but other people I’ve talked to seemed to think up and down between the two clubs was always going to be his role. 

I think Woo is unfortunately just still not there and might never be there. If he makes it through, great. If he gets claimed, it means we spend development time on other D that have a better chance of cracking the lineup.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lewlowned said:

I think it generally makes sense.

Hirose can use a year to develop in our system in Abby, and there’s a decent amount of LD depth. He will be a primary call up.

Podz needs to build more confidence playing lots of minutes and he’s not a fit in our top 6 right now. He could use some more help and guidance to develop into the type of player we need him to be. Whether that’s a PF, two-way, or what have you. He will also be a primary call up.

I am somewhat surprised by Irwin, but other people I’ve talked to seemed to think up and down between the two clubs was always going to be his role. 

I think Woo is unfortunately just still not there and might never be there. If he makes it through, great. If he gets claimed, it means we spend development time on other D that have a better chance of cracking the lineup.

good points.

Hirose’s contract moves to a one way deal next season…kind of telegraphs his projected timeline.

Im glad to see the McWard experiment continue. Three penalties in a preseason game doesn’t outweigh the positives. He’s learning what gets called, and will study the tape.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Quite surprised at some cuts, not surprised at others.

I thought some of those guys would get one more shot at the next game.

But using the next few games to try get the team to gel a bit more.   They looked so rusty for the first half of the game.

9 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Good points. I thought he might get one last look, but I support this. 

More surprised that they’re keeping Juulsen up. Wonder if he wasn’t 100% when he played, and they expect him to improve?

Maybe they think he will get claimed and want to give him a longer look before they risk losing him. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mic Tyson said:

A little surprised Bains was sent down

FB_IMG_1696182428291.jpg

Bains, Raty, Hirose I'm surprised about. But they could use lots of ice time in Abby to improve. And will probably get call ups sooner rather than later.

I'm concerned about Podz, and Klim, and to a lesser extent Silovs. They didn't seem to take that next step at training camp.

One of the nice things is, we at least are going to have depth at the AHL level, so if there are injuries, we should be better equipped to handle them.

Stay hungry guys.

• Cheers 1

Mind you looking at how many they sent down at once, it's like a game of chicken.  Throw down a whole bunch of players at once, hiding gems in the pile of garbage.
Quite smart, there are a few in there that we don't want to throw away for nothing.  Hopefully most of them make it through unscathed.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:06 PM, The Colt 45s said:

Born not too far from me.

Movin' to Montana soon, gonna be a Dental Floss Tycoon. - F Zappa

(Aside: I had the same pants as Frank in 1972; believe it or not, they were considered very high fashion, even landed a gorgeous rich chick who said she 'loved the way I dressed'!  Platform shoes, high waist, etc.)

Please, if you haven't heard it all before, don't give up on the song's beginning.

FZ has another great guitar solo which led to fans to shouting "Shut up and play your guitar!"

(I saw Zappa live 6 times.)

He heard enough of that to put out a whole album called "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" which has no vocals.

(I was at that concert, the whole band showed up in burgundy suits, never said a word and played a great jazz set.)

Edited by Goal_thecup
Added content.
  • Thanks 1