2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

With these cuts, the Canucks now have 25 players remaining in their training camp:
Forwards (14): Nils Aman, Anthony Beauvillier, Teddy Blueger, Brock Boeser, Phil Di Giuseppe, Conor Garland, Nils Höglander, Dakota Joshua, Andrei Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev, J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson, Jack Studnicka, Pius Suter. 
Defencemen (9): Guillaume Brisebois, Ian Cole, Filip Hronek, Quinn Hughes, Noah Juulsen, Cole McWard, Tyler Myers, Carson Soucy, Christian Wolanin.
Goaltenders (2): Thatcher Demko, Casey DeSmith

Before the Silovs cut, basically between Julsen,and Mcward then Briseboi and Wolanin now. I think. Briseboi/Mcward get my votes
Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:
With these cuts, the Canucks now have 25 players remaining in their training camp:
Forwards (13): Anthony Beauvillier, Teddy Blueger, Brock Boeser, Phil Di Giuseppe, Conor Garland, Nils Höglander, Dakota Joshua, Andrei Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev, J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson, Jack Studnicka, Pius Suter.
Defencemen (9): Guillaume Brisebois, Ian Cole, Filip Hronek, Quinn Hughes, Noah Juulsen, Cole McWard, Tyler Myers, Carson Soucy, Christian Wolanin.
Goaltenders (3): Thatcher Demko, Casey DeSmith, Arturs Silovs.

Before the Silovs cut, basically between Julsen, Briseboi and Wolanin now. I think Briseboi gets my vote 

What about Nils Aman?

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

@Slegr

you should update the original post with remaining players. 😀

@Slegr

Thanks again for doing the OP for this thread. I was going to make the same request as @Northern_Nuck. In previous years the pre-season roster has been updated as guys are released, traded, reassigned or whatever, putting a line through the name and a statement of where they went. I am not sure how many people like to look at the updated roster but there are at least two of us.

Thanks

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Summary:

On Podkolzin - work ethic, strength, and skating is strong but needs to work on getting his "reads" better. "he has to be an NHL player, he needs to marinade down there (AHL) is best for him". Tocchet emphasized his IQ and NHL reads are things he needs to work on and will go to Abbotsford to "bring them up to NHL standards".

On Hirose - "High hockey IQ but fitness testing was low and needing to get stronger." 

On Mikheyev - he is allowed contact but no commitment to opening night debut.

On Di Giuseppe -  A player who has reinvented himself, a big guy who can forecheck and skate and knows his role. "he banged down the door to get that roster spot"

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

I hadn't watched any games yet. How does hronek look?

He has looked fairly good with Cole.

Does have a tendency to over handle the puck and lead to some giveaways, but overall from what I could see is that he is a good passer and transitions the puck decently. 

Defensively he has some warts, but Cole seems to make up for them quite well. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

I hadn't watched any games yet. How does hronek look?

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

So far so good, and only going to get better. He and Cole have good chemistry together already. 

In my view, Hronek has looked good but not great so far in the two games he has played. But his advanced stats are very good. He is second on the team in Corsi For Percentage (after Miller). But I think a better indicator is expected goal differential per 60. He is among the team leaders on that dimension as well. And that is despite being the lead "shutdown D" on the team, getting the toughest matchups.

He has generally played "low-event" hockey, not all that noticeable but not making many mistakes. That is what you want from a guy playing the shutdown pair.

He has played mainly with Cole. Tocchet was apparently planning for Cole and Hronek to be the shut down pair. But part-way through the last game (against Edmonton) Cole and Soucy switched places and the Hronek-Soucy pair looked good. It would not surprise me if Hronek plays with Soucy in the next game.

Either way, Hronek looks very likely to be on the primary shutdown pairing as the puck-carrier on that pairing. He might also link up with Hughes in key offensive situations (like after the other team takes an icing call) and quarterback the second unit PP. He will of course also play on the PK. (The best advanced stats on the PK so far are for Hughes and Bluegar but Hronek is ok.)

Still too early to say much, but I would say he looks as expected so far. The Canucks gave up a lot to get him, but he might be worth it.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Happy for  Breezy, he's been in the org a long time. They patiently developed him.

He plays low risk hockey, perfect for a bottom pairing dman.

And he's our token francophone.

100% guy has cools hands, made one bad giveaway last night but made the cover up play and helped get it out after. Overall he's cool hand Luke back there. Put in his time deserves a good look this season see what he can do over some substantial time and gAmes played 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, JamesB said:

@Slegr

Thanks again for doing the OP for this thread. I was going to make the same request as @Northern_Nuck. In previous years the pre-season roster has been updated as guys are released, traded, reassigned or whatever, putting a line through the name and a statement of where they went. I am not sure how many people like to look at the updated roster but there are at least two of us.

Thanks

Yes I like to see how the team is shaping up and see who’s competing. When I was younger it was easier to keep track of without the updates 😄

Edited by Northern_Nuck
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Mic Tyson said:

A little surprised Bains was sent down

FB_IMG_1696182428291.jpg

I think they want Bains to play bigger minutes. I think he'll spend time in Vancouver this season. I think if a player doesn't require waivers, it's probably 90% chance they get sent down, even if it's only a paper transaction until they apply LTIR or make another trade.

• Upvote 1