2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I agree, but Juulsen has much-needed size and more NHL experience. I think McWard needs an extra year in Abby. 

I think they both get sent down for someone we pick up on waivers or in a trade.

But if not, I think Juulsen is the better choice to stay and play with Hughes right now.  As long as he can handle the defensive responsibilities.

Edited by CaptainCanuck12
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ManbeastMARK said:

An NHL season is a lot longer than weekend exhibition tournament. If that wiped him out he's clearly not in good enough shape for the NHL.

I watched the interview. Tocchet didn’t think he was “out of shape” just not at the level he needs to be. he said he worked hard in the off-season but was suggesting he needs more strength. Some players take longer to gain strength. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

If he doesn’t put it together, I wonder if they’ll revisit Woo as a checking winger.

Woo had a terrific season in the AHL.

The only reason he even played wing briefly was because he was coming off a injury and the team was entering the playoffs short a winger. They didn’t want to upset the defensive pairings so used him on the wing. It had nothing to do with his play, he’ll be fine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

Woo had a terrific season in the AHL.

The only reason he even played wing briefly was because he was coming off a injury and the team was entering the playoffs short a winger. They didn’t want to upset the defensive pairings so used him on the wing. It had nothing to do with his play, he’ll be fine. 

Hope you’re right. He’s exactly what we need, and I was hoping he might have a look with Hughes. Maybe another year is what he needs…hope he clears! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

I watched the interview. Tocchet didn’t think he was “out of shape” just not at the level he needs to be. he said he worked hard in the off-season but was suggesting he needs more strength. Some players take longer to gain strength. 

That is way better than him lacking fitness.

Appreciate he and his brother have slight builds, and it might take longer to add muscle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Could certainly be a bit of that even or a lot. Or it could be Hughes just trying it out more because it's the preseason and the games don't matter that much? Free reign to take risks.

Either way I think you're right. McWard seems to be the front runner. Even with the 3 penalties he took last night, would probably be a reach for anyone to say Brisebois or Juulsen are above him at this point given what we've seen. (If coaches are seeing the same of course.)

But I still wonder if Tocchet and Foote give those two a chance with Hughes over the next two games here? Wouldn't be surprised. Also wouldn't be surprised if its McWard to the end of preseason and the job is already his. Who knows, eh.

From preseason, I wouldn't say Juulsen is a frontrunner, but the coaches remember he played well last year with Hughes, so they know he has more experience overall. I think we'll see Juulsen with Hughes next game to see how he does. And it's Hughes, so I think we'll see Juulsen play we'll next to him. 

Wolanin also hasn't been great so far, but he hasn't been terrible (granted, he caused two goals the one game). But same as Juulsen, the coaches know what he's capable of, and I just don't see him getting put on waivers over Breezer, as Wolanin would almost certainly get picked up. 

Coaches are stressing preseason as play to be on the team, and I think someone like Studs will earn a spot, but they're not going to do that with every player. Joshua and Wolanin and Juulsen are all NHL players now after last year, and I think they're locks to stick because of last year alone. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Devron said:

Hughes is such a stud. Does he even need a partner? 

At this point and time it feels like he plays with no partner out there! I’m hoping McWard sticks and gets better with him. Juulsen seems so choppy out there. I’d love him to be Schenn 2.0 but I don’t see it yet.

It’s crazy we have this amazing once in a life time game changing defenseman like Hughes…and for his entire tenure we saddle him with AHL/journeymen NHL fodder (no disrespect to Schenn)…I can’t wait till we have someone who not only treads water but becomes a super pairing with him. It sure sounds like Willander will hopefully be that guy for Hughes…but by the time he’s ready Hughes will be in his late 20’s. Sure hope it’s not too late by then.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

At this point and time it feels like he plays with no partner out there! I’m hoping McWard sticks and gets better with him. Juulsen seems so choppy out there. I’d love him to be Schenn 2.0 but I don’t see it yet.

It’s crazy we have this amazing once in a life time game changing defenseman like Hughes…and for his entire tenure we saddle him with AHL/journeymen NHL fodder (no disrespect to Schenn)…I can’t wait till we have someone who not only treads water but becomes a super pairing with him. It sure sounds like Willander will hopefully be that guy for Hughes…but by the time he’s ready Hughes will be in his late 20’s. Sure hope it’s not too late by then.

I expect we will see Hronek moved up with him with increasing frequency. 
We only have 2 D men where top 2 isn’t a stretch, at some point Tocchet will put them together. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

I'm a bit surprised that Joshua made the cut, yes really surprised. I'd have given Bains, or Raty a longer look. However, I like the idea of not having way too many bodies around. Better to work with a smaller group to get ready.

I would't do that. How many players did they ruin like that?

Thats why you have a farm team. Joshua had 25 points last year in the bottom six, he'd be claimed for sure and we'd be down to 3 players that will fight. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

@Slegr

Thanks again for doing the OP for this thread. I was going to make the same request as @Northern_Nuck. In previous years the pre-season roster has been updated as guys are released, traded, reassigned or whatever, putting a line through the name and a statement of where they went. I am not sure how many people like to look at the updated roster but there are at least two of us.

Thanks

The front end is now updated, reflective of the cuts - thanks.

Go Canucks!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agree with all of this. I believe in McWard’s upside, and am happy to see him get an extended look.

If it doesn’t work, Tocchet’s preference for a right-handed partner leaves a small ‘committee’ to play with Hughes, and we don’t have Schenn. Hopefully they are exploring options through waivers and trades.

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to make a prediction that is going to piss off EVERYONE!

Myers will be extended before the deadline this year, 2 more years at 1.75 million per season.

Flame away!!!

breaking news GIF by NowThis

If Myers would extend for that contract that would be great! He won’t though. So we trade him at the 2024 TDL for a couple picks. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Myers would extend for that contract that would be great! He won’t though. So we trade him at the 2024 TDL for a couple picks. 

We'll see, Alf, I think he likes it here, even up to 2 million per season, he's better than people give him credit for, but he needs to be put in a structure that allows him to be successful. I think he's going to benefit more than most from Gonchar and Foote and I think we were just starting to see that at the end of last season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We'll see, Alf, I think he likes it here, even up to 2 million per season, he's better than people give him credit for, but he needs to be put in a structure that allows him to be successful. I think he's going to benefit more than most from Gonchar and Foote and I think we were just starting to see that at the end of last season.

Yup. Myers on the third pairing for his 5 on 5 minutes is exactly where he needs to be to do well. Plus the structure will have players in spots early (when he does get the puck) so he can play to those spots and knows there’s support. The less time he spends with the puck on his stick the better. If he would extend for a couple years at under 2 per before the 2024 TDL that would be ideal. 

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

My guess on the D to start the season:

Hughes - McWard

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Brisebois

I've really liked McWard's game, except for those penalties

I like McWards game too but he's not a top pairing dman. 

Maybe give Hronek and Soucy top pair duties and we can shelter McWard on the 2nd pair. Hughes will still get top pair minutes cause we can double shift him sometimes with Hronek. Plus powerplay time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I like McWards game too but he's not a top pairing dman. 

Maybe give Hronek and Soucy top pair duties and we can shelter McWard on the 2nd pair. Hughes will still get top pair minutes cause we can double shift him sometimes with Hronek. Plus powerplay time.

That’s likely what we do. 5 on 5 the hardest matchups will be given to Cole and Hronek. Soucy too will see minutes in that role. Having Hronek allows Hughes to play more offensively in his 5 on 5 minutes. McWard will grow during the season too and be able to take on tougher 5 on 5 minutes. Hughes is a phenom though so will play big minutes, regardless.