2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

36 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol, sorry Hugs not trying to be a jerk I was just poking a little fun. No harm in trying I guess but he doesn't seem to be talented enough to just switch positions at this stage. I could see it if he was offensively skilled or fast but he's neither. Not sure what he'd have to offer at the NHL level if not at defence. 

If you’re poking fun, then quote me directly.  The passive straw-man / side door into a conversation comes off as trolling.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Quinn being a threat to score will really open things up all around. His assists totals could become ridiculous. 

Yep. The threat of his shot will create space for everyone else. Opponents won’t want to make highlight reels getting their ankles broken at the blue line. Once they catch on, I expect him to get double teamed.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

It’s a good point…on the surface, you’d think playing simpler would be an easy ask.  

He mentioned not having much developmental coaching (as he’s getting from Foote/Gonchar) since he was a rookie. Maybe he can still transition into that style of player with the right instruction?

He broke up a 2 on 1 last game really well by taking the pass away. I’m hopeful he can reinvent himself a little in his 3rd pair role.

Perhaps he’s previously been tasked to be an offensive contributor due to us not having much scoring or setup depth on the back end?

I think fans tend to push a lot onto a player not realizing that sometimes they are simply playing in the role they’ve been assigned. 

Not to absolve Myers of some horrific play, but if coaching perhaps tethered him and instructed him they’d prefer he play more of a structured defensive game (if that’s possible with him), perhaps he’d be more effective. We have Hronek now who exponentially supplants Myers in any offense minded responsibilities. 
Fact is, even if Myers wants to play a two way game, he doesn’t have the speed or mobility for it.  He’s fortunate he’s a RHD with size…that alone might extend his career by a couple seasons.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

Ya like literally say 

Dude, you're not the calder winner anymore.

You're 6'6'

You want to play another 8 years in the league? and get PAID? Stay at home, play D and hit people

I just don't get why he doesn't want to play a simple defense first game...he would actually be very valuable if so. His problems all start when he tries to be offensive and do too much.

100% 

I’m liking the mix of players this year, and I like that Tocchet seems to know that sandpaper is needed on each line. Our forwards are generally too small still. We need a couple more guys six feet minimum and a couple of five footers need to be moved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

no Avatar pic? Loved your Always Sunny gif

4 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Was wondering when Charlie was coming back @tas

honestly didn't realize i still had that at CDC. it had just showed as a letter t for me for years. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

If you’re poking fun, then quote me directly.  The passive straw-man / side door into a conversation comes off as trolling.

Jeez dude - don’t poke the Huggy Bear I guess.

He literally apologized.

That’s after saying the hot dog guy shouldn’t be Petey’s winger and you corrected him that he was exaggerating (ya think?!).

Now he’s trolling?

Lighten up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

Jeez dude - don’t poke the Huggy Bear I guess.

He literally apologized.

That’s after saying the hot dog guy shouldn’t be Petey’s winger and you corrected him that he was exaggerating (ya think?!).

Now he’s trolling?

Lighten up.

Pretty sure it’s resolved, thanks. It’s kind of you to stick up for another member.

• Cheers 1